Lovepedal Eternity or Retro-Sonic Chorus Ensemble??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ToneRanger, Jan 10, 2006.

1. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I know this sounds like a weird "duel" but this is what's happening...

I ordered the Eternity for 2 weeks ago and it's still backordered. No problem with that. I just began to feel the GAS for a vibrato and then for a chorus. The Retro-Sonic just seems so COOL and no sound clips have made such an impression before.

I don't have the money for both at the moment and I was wondering should I change my order from MusicToyz to get the Retro-Sonic instead of the Eternity?

I already have a bunch of overdrive pedals: COT50, 2xHot Cakes, Catalinbread SCOD, Super Chili Picoso and Timmy on the way. The only pedal that's capable of modulation at the moment on my board is the Deluxe Memory Man and that's set for delay all the time... Overdrive is the most important thing for me, but I'd really like some warble as well. With these funds I think I should go for the Retro-Sonic and wait for the Timmy and see how far I can take it with those pedals. It might be so that I'm perfectly happy with those and wont even need the Eternity...! And I'd have the sweet chorus sound in my arsenal as well..

What do you think I should do? Other thing is if I'm able to get hold of Teddy at MusicToyz via email 'cause he seems impossible to reach..

2. woude

woude Member

switch, you need a chorus &vibrato! :) ;-)

(I ordered one from Musictoyz two weeks ago, can't wait)

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Wait.

For.

The.

Eternity.

4. drolling

drolling Member

Well, personally I HATE chorus (just about the only effect that affects me that way- had a bad overdose in the 80s and still get flashbacks) and I LOVE the Eternity.

But Timmy's incredible- Nowhere near the gain of the E, but beautiful sounding w/a great EQ section.

All I really posted to say, tho', is: Use the phone number for New Orders to get Teddy, I've NEVER been able to reach him on the "general inquiry/order status" number. And don't order anything that isn't actually in stock.

5. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

6. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Let's see... you have 6 good ODs... and one delay pedal.

I'll go against the grain and say- get the Retro-Sonic.

The Eternity is good for sure, but you have some great pedals there already that can give you a nice range of tones. The Eternity will be just one more different sound... smoother than the others, less bass, a pronounced midrange, and a nice singer.

-Ben

7. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Thanks for the answers dudes..

sanhozay, the wait for the Eternity is not the problem. The only problem is that during the wait I had time to think about it & acquire GAS for the Retro-Sonic :)

I'd really love to get the Eternity, but as Ben C put it, I already have good od pedals and Timmy is coming too. I played thru my 2 Cakes, COT and SCOD yesterday, and it worked out really well. Timmy and Super Chili Picoso should be the answers to all of my needs... Different flavours are another thing, and the Eternity would sure be a nice one. But anyway I'm sure I'll be fine without one as well. Maybe later... definately I'll get one. Or maybe some cool BJF pedal, like EGDM, Honey Bee or DRD?

But a chorus/vibrato I don't have, altough the need for one isnt as big as for the overall od sounds which always come first.. Anyway, I'll think I'll go for the Retro-Sonic, then I have the chorus thing covered for good and can continue my overdrive quest.. Well maybe I should concentrate on playing, singing and songwriting for a change, but nah... I dont think so ;)

Actually canceling the order for the Eternity might just be a good thing for my overdrive tones.. now I get to explore the pedals that I already have (plus Timmy and SCP) and make the most out of them. Really often the problem with gear for me is that I dont get to tweak them enough and try different combinations. Well, thats why I usually go for really simple gear with as few knobs as possible. But stacking and making the pedals work with different guitars, the amp with no master volume or with the master volume engaged trying to make it all work with the band.. There's a whole lot of tone ranging to be done.

I tried to email Teddy about the switch already, with no results. I also tried to email him about the order several times before: I ordered two pedals at the time (two weeks ago), one for me and one for a pal. I received an email asking should the two pedals ship together or seperately as the Eternity was backordered. I sent two or three mails saying I want them shipped together and that I really dont mind waiting. No answers and yesterday I got an email saying that the other pedal was shipped..

Maybe I should just call Teddy, but I rather wouldn't as I live in Finland and it's quite pricey.. But maybe I'll just have to if I want to make it work.

Maybe I'm a fool for ordering anything from Musictoyz again. Couple of years ago I had a really bad experience. Ordered a hot cake and cot, only got the cot, Teddy charged my credit card for both. Then after tens of emails (none of them were replied) and three telephone calls I finally got the Cake. This took couple of months and drove me nuts. The Cakes led didnt work and the serial number indicated it was quite of an old one, so I figure Teddy just sent me this broken Cake that was laying around cause he got sick of me calling and mailing... Man that sucked, it's insane that such a badly run business can be one of the biggest ones out there. IMO ofcourse.

8. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Dang,

It's 12V AC. You'll have to find a new transformer for it. Do they have it in stock at Musictoyz? The Retro-sonic site are out of stock anyway.

9. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

Order the retro Sonic from www.tonefactor.com, very responsive to emails its odd if it takes longer than 30 minutes to get a reply, I myself haven't bought anything off them but I have enquired about a couple of things, I have a friend who bought there analogue filter and he was really pleased with the service, shipped very quickly, cheap shipping charges, and they even marked it as a gift and a low value so he didn't get hit with tax when it came into the uk which could be useful to you.

Hope this helps

10. ixsaves13

ixsaves13 Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that you've been experiencing so much headache with ordering the pedal... I never ordered from musictoyz yet, and probably won't. I've always found the pedals I was looking for used at a cheaper price. Or I usually go directly to the builder.

I've owned the eternity pedal, and while it's a good overdrive, it's still in the same page as most overdrives that we see today. A non-mid hump based pedal somewhat like an AC booster, which i did not like. The eternity has a top end that sounds great. Cuts through the mix well and has that singing quality. But for chordal stuff, I hated it. I've personally gone through so many pedals that at this point i'm tired of trying stuff out. A few years back I got turned on to John Landgraff's stuff and since then nothing has stuck with me through all the gasing periods.

You know I had a good conversation with a friend of mine and it ended like this...

From the audience's point of view, they can't tell the difference between a $70 Reissue tube screamer or a $400+ boutique pedal. The money that you're really paying for is for yourself. If it feels right to you and responds the way you like, then it allows you to play more free... more true to yourself. It even makes sense with guitars. All of us here swear by a particular guitar builder's make / model, where to everybody else, it's a good strat copy or les paul. But i digress... if it makes you feel more comfortable, then no money amount will stop you from purchasing that next piece of gear.

I never really owned more than 3 overdrives at a time... since i've always used 2 at most (overdrive / distortion) and a separate boost for leads. Now that I play out as a living, I need to have sounds available when people want them, so i go after the modulation and other wacky effects.

So in conclusion to what I'm saying is... Get something that you wouldn't use and try to incorporate it into your sound. It'll be great to have a unique tone / sound than just tryin to cop somebody elses.

Good luck!

11. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Thanks for the tip!! The Tone Factor site looks quite pro. I'll try and cancel my order from Musictoyz and go for the Tone Factor. I'm not gonna sponsor bad service any more.

The gift and value stuff is great since we have to pay 22 % VAT and 3,7 % customs here in Finland...

12. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

Honestly, just to test them out shoot them an email, obviously remember the time difference ;) but shoot them an email and see how long it takes for them to reply, most it ever took for me was less than 24 hours as Brad @ tonefactor wasn't in but he took the time to email me first thing saturday morning.

I hate the tax thing, it's very unfair as it's not like you can get these pedals in your own country, I understand when you are importing something that is cheaper, but not when you have no option but to shop abroad.

Anyway rant over good luck

13. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Yeah, I'll try Tonefactor as soon as I can cancel my order from Musictoyz!

The tax thing is nuts! It also is sometimes very difficult to deal with customs officials as they try to find out the category for the products..

ixsaves13 - very good points indeed! It's really true that "an average person" rarely notes a difference, but when the performer is happy with the gear, he/she feels so much better. I had continous bad luck during the little tour we did when we released our album.. I was breaking strings all the time! My record is I lost two strings during one song. It drove me crazy as I was going paranoid over when the string is gonna break. If the performer's happy then it's more likely that the "customer" is also gonna be happy. The rule doesnt apply though when the guitarist does a 20 minute solo and the audience leaves ;)

I can clearly see me trying the Eternity in the future, but now it's gonna be something different for a while. And as I said before, it's almost silly that I havent even explored my current pedals that much.. It's like buying albums, if you buy two or more at the same time, you never get the most out of them...

14. Curt

Curt Member

You need a DLS Chorus / Vibe pedal.

15. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Curt - that's actually the pedal that I was first GASsing for when thinking about chorus and vibrato pedals.. Can you get any more specific why I certainly need it? :)

Have you made any comparisons between the Retro-Sonic and the DLS?
    Pros for the DLS are that it's cheaper and features a normal 9 dc power jack. Pros for the Retro-Sonic are that the sound clips sound better than I have ever heard, they just hit a nerve, or something like that.. And IMO the Retro-Sonic looks cooler too...

16. Curt

Curt Member

Well, maybe "need" is too strong a word. The DLS is simply a great pedal that does great chorus and will do do a great Leslie and Vibe also.
    As far as looking "cool", that's the absolute last thing I care about when choosing a pedal. I've never bought a pedal based on a website sound clip. I read the reviews first, maybe ask a few musicians who own the pedal, and then try it myself through my own gear. I might buy an "Eternity" too. I'm just going to wait and let the dust settle just like it did with the OCD.

17. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Curt - looks are of course not the determining factor here. For what it's worth, I dont think the Retro-Sonic looks that cool as well. I must admit that some pedals simply look so ugly that my GAS just doesnt build up that fast. DLS is no way that ugly...

If I restrict my options to pedals that I can try out first I'm left with the likes of Boss and Danelectro. I've read all the reviews for both products and both seem really nice. The clips on both sounded good, but Retro-Sonic just dropped my jaw.. Have you any experience of the Retro-sonic?

It's probably really good to let the dust settle before buying anything.. It would be fun to make sort of a list about "flavour of the months" and maybe a check after a year if the pedals are still on the boards of who raved about them earlier. Some turn into classics, some dont. it seems though that any pedal that gets the super hype around here ends up as sort of a classic, it must be good atleast for something and someone. It's ofcourse too early to tell, but I think the Eternity has gained some sort of status, and definately OCD is becoming a classic. It's really hard to tell since it's really hard to know how "broad" the hype is.

18. Curt

Curt Member

[quote=ToneRanger

"If I restrict my options to pedals that I can try out first I'm left with the likes of Boss and Danelectro".

Good point. I live in Kansas City and the dealers here only stock generic brands. If I mention Barber, DLS, Analogman or any of the high end builders, they have absolutely no clue who I'm talking about.

"Have you any experience of the Retro-sonic?"

Nope.

"It would be fun to make sort of a list about "flavour of the months" and maybe a check after a year if the pedals are still on the boards of who raved about them earlier".

That would be interesting.

19. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Yep, that "Fly by night" Rush clip had an awesome tone. Really digging the effect too.

Anybody know if you can power the Retrosonic off the 12V output of a Cioks Double Jack?

20. dave s

dave s Member

Trust me, you will not be disappointed with the Retronsonic Chorus/Vibe pedal.

As far as calling this pedal a 'flavour of the day,' it's been on my board for about 9 months. It's not leaving. There could be a better sounding chorus out there, but this one sounds damn good.

dave