Lovepedal Eternity PTP vs SMD You choose!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by demiruyar, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demiruyar

demiruyar Member

Well looks like I have nothing better to do than comparing lovepedal ptp to the smd version and share the results with you guys:BEER.Its 2.30 pm right know.So I would love to have some general ideas in order to compare both products equally.

[​IMG]

I am going to play it trough a Bruno Ug 30
    [​IMG]

with a K-line strat,pre lawsuit lentz and a Prs Mccarty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IiwAMf7Ct80
    Ptp is the one on the right!

2. madscientist

madscientist Member

try a few riffs at lower gain (9:00), and then some lead licks at the same setting...then try at higher gain (12:00), and then at (3:00)

I'm quite interested to hear the comparision..I'm loving my new burst E

3. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

also throw a tube screamer in the clips too, for a comparison.

4. giggedy

giggedy Member

this is awesome.

5. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

I'm sorry, I'm not in on all the Lovepedal evolutionary habits, but is he having them made SMD and still charging almost $300 for the Eternity ?

6. demiruyar

demiruyar Member

Not 300,but to be exact its around 260-270 ish!

7. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

$279, but my main question: has he changed to this building process without changing the asking price (EHX, Teese...). That would be remarkable, I'm just curious.

8. madscientist

madscientist Member

I got mine for $229.....still the priciest pedal I own, but it sounds really good

9. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

The new one sounds great (higher gain & more open than my two older E's), and would argue, may even actually be more durable than them as well. The new circuit board is like solid steel, no lie. It's NOT breaking.

And the new switch also is 100x smoother than all the other true bypass stomp switches out there, including the ones on my old white E & 2006 burst E.

Just my observations.....

10. madscientist

madscientist Member

there sure is a lot of available gain to the new one...I'm only running the gain at about 9:00 and it's really giving a nice lower gain sound.

11. demiruyar

demiruyar Member

Thanks for the advice:BEER

12. demiruyar

demiruyar Member

Just finished recording I got some intresting results.I am going to post the results tomorrow.So stay tuned:)

13. madscientist

madscientist Member

14. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

I really like to new foot switches. There are plenty of hand wired E's out there for sale. There has always been a slight variation in Eternity's from unit to unit. If we want Sean to be able to make hand wired pedals such as 200lbs, new wah, etc, then we really do not have a choice about the new construction, not that I have a problem with it, I own 3 new ones so far. Otherwise Sean would still be back logged on hand wired E's and never get to any new designs or tweeks. We all know he likes to create, so lets let him do what he does best. His recent limited run pedals all appear to still be hand wired.

15. blues

blues Supporting Member

Let your ears be the judge.

16. softclipper

softclipper Member

What about the new Purple Plexi 800? It's said 'Totally hand built' (I hope so, I bought it and prefer PTP better than SMD); anyway there're a few SMD boxes from some manufacturers that sound great.

17. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

I agree. And one of the "criticisms" of the E forever, is that there is was always an inconsistency as to what your E was gonna sound like.

It seems like the Guitar Player review put the E in a spotlight, and Sean had to sort of rise to the occasion and make damn sure that ALL the new E's are amazing. And based on the new one I have, I would say that it is a step up, not a step down. I'll say this again: Boss pedals are world famous for being THE pedals that last forever. And the new E is built about 500x better. Period. :cool:

18. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

There is an interesting article in the latest Guitar Player which talks about PTP versus PCB amps but I think alot of the ideas can be related toward pedals as well. The main problem with PTP seems to be that there is a greater chance of variation in the same amp (or pedal) due to wire length and all the other variables. Maybe SMD pedals are not such a bad idea if he can make all the pedals consistent with each other (as long as they are well built which these pedals seem to be).

19. radcliff

radcliff Member

I think the new ones are made in partnership with Cusack (quality)

20. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Guys... Mr. Lovepedal took a big step in the right direction, IMO. He's using relays to TB, which means he can use the ultra durable Carling footswitches. Silent operation. He practically eliminated the most common point of failure in a footpedal... the 3PDT footswitch.

By going PCB, he get more consistency and reduced build time between each pedal. Higher reliability also results because of the Mil-Spec boards he is using.

You guys are over thinking the Eternity. PTP or PCB, it doesn't matter if it sound good in the end. And so what if the PTP ones might sound a little different than the PCB ones... the difference is neglegible (sp?) and you get the added bonus w/ the PCB version of increased reliablity and essentially silent switching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.