Lovepedal Eternity vs Xotic BB Preamp??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dewman, Jul 3, 2006.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Are these comparable on any level? Which is more stackable. I have the BB and like it plent. It is a bit noisy at high settings through my rig. It is a bit scooped, although I recently began EQing my rig so that will likely go away. Heard some great things about the Balance, just hard to get anyone I know to buy one so I can A/B it!! He He...

2. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

very different! the eternity stacks great! i too have the BB and like it, just feel a more tweedish drive
    from the "E" cept when you bring the treble boost up a bit, it can cover some british ground, the
    BB, as i have stated in a previous post sounds to me more "marshally" once again, just my ears!

3. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

maybe I should have said Eternity versus the AC booster???

Does the eternity match well with a Marshall non MV amp? I have to crank my amp to get the singing tones from the BB, same thing for the Eternity or does it sound good in a clean amp w/ little breakup?

4. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

i run the all my amps whether they be fender, vox, dr.z,etc the eternity loves EL84's but, sounds
    incredible with my super reverb, volume at 3. the eternity has way more output than the BB, and it
    will for sure drive any amp into smooth creamy territory, or if you wish, it can growl and bite but
    never at any setting have i found it to be harsh or fizzy. this is a pro tool, although it rips it up at
    bedroom levels as well. it has more comp and mid's than the BB, the mid's are not thin nasaly like
    a ts9 though. the "E" sounds good with anything, have you heard the clips?? pretty dead on!

5. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

i run all my amps clean set, the E drives, and sustains fer daze!

6. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Not to step on any toes, just my opinion, but for me the Eternity makes any of the Xotic products sound like toys....

7. Seniorspike

Seniorspike Member

I have both and like them alot ... and goose the BB with the E (running into a Germino Masonette.)

8. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

For me, the MI Crunch Box replaced the BB, and then the Eternity replaced that. Now...the Lil' China Cot pushing the Etern for solo's is a bewdiful thing :)

9. el34power

el34power Member

I know i am going to regret this but...:worried How would you compare the E to the Crunch box.

At the moment, the crunch box is THE soul mate to a Marshall and the Eternity is sooo freaking expensive....:BITCH

10. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Clarification needed. Okies...i was a happy camper with my Crunch Box until i got the thing modded to latest specs. I just couldn't get 'the tone' back to where i had it...lesson learnt. Anyhoo...i found the CB awesome at that one thing, getting any amp to sound like a double stack marshall on the 'roids'. I find the E to be more refined and versatile...for a start theres just so much gain on tap plus the addition of a treble booster instead of a stock tone just makes it more so. Yes the Etern is expensive, but no more than buying and selling pedals only to reaslise you should have bought an E to start with...and enough's been said about Seans service, 2nd to none.

11. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

+1 to this!

12. randy morser

randy morser Member

Why can't I stack the Eternity with ANYTHING w/o feedback? I've got a
    Timmy and I'm not really doing great with the whole stacking idea. Little help?

13. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Are you stacking before or after the E? You probably have the gain too high on the E. Try putting the E on a fair amount of gain, then use a boost in front (closest to guitar) to boost the E up to lead solo sound.

14. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

are you runnin the timmy after the eternity? if so, drop the volume level on the timmy to allow the E to push it, don't put the gain too high on either pedal, and keep the EQ "fairly" neutral. try that and see.

15. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

And if you are running them this way, the this is how to do it!! Good man blues wail! I like the Timmy's EQ and if you put the timmy after the Eternity the you can utilize the EQ. (The eternity is one of the few pedals I really wouldnt want to mess with the EQ of though which is probably why blues wail said set it neutral).

16. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

thank you! just a great setup i think. also, the COT 50 pushin the E is another wonderful option!:RoCkIn

17. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

A honey bee pushin an E is one of the best sounds I have ever heard.

18. randy morser

randy morser Member

thanks, guys. i'll try it.

19. JPenn

JPenn Member

Does the Eternity have the amount of drive a BB does? The only E I have messed with had more of a TS-type drive. I thought the BB was more of a heavy drive pedal.

Right now the Barber Direct Drive is what I'm using for my main drive, (still looking for the right pedal to take it into the liquid zone) but it could clean up a little better with the volume knob.

20. randy morser

randy morser Member

i use the dd from time to time. it's fine. the e stacked with the timmy is what i am using right now thanks to the guys on this post. i still need a heavier distortion for work, though. maybe the keeley mt-2.