Lovepedal Hermida SNS Appreciation Thread Part Deux--The Ham Sammich Lives!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by la noise, Mar 6, 2018.

1. R.L.

R.L. Member

If you want to go tweed champ definitely check out Boot Hill.
    otherwise I’ve had good luck with mojotone kits. They aren’t the best with questions though. My mojotone tweed princeton build sounds awesome. Working on a vibrolux now....

HERSCHEL, Hbom, Jiminvan and 5 others like this.
  2. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Bunch of praise for the Tube Depot kits , do a search here on TGP many threads. I got a friend a upgraded Mojotone Champ kit built by an amp guy and it is great. I just like to go over there and dime it for 30 min and leave with ringing ears.

3. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

I've never built a Stew-Mac kit, but I have done three from Allen and one from Trinity. The Princeton Reverb should be in line with some of the Allen kits.

A Princeton Reverb should be in that sweet spot between simple and complex amp kit builds. It's not as dirt simple as something like a single ended Tweed Champ. Having reverb and a tone stack adds some interest. But it's not over the top like something with multiple channels, loads of tubes/gain stages, weird master volumes or relay-based footswitching. Seems like a really good first kit.

HERSCHEL, BluesBUSTER, R.L. and 2 others like this.
  4. Jiminvan

Jiminvan Supporting Member

My Allen Accomplice Jr build went very well and resulted in a great amp customized to my specs.

I think any build will involve some points where you have to sleuth out what the instructions really meant, or where a part isn't quite what the parts list says, or where your exact version of the amp isn't what the generic instructions were based on due to options or whatever.

That said, I'm sure you'll do fine and will have the support of the vendor when needed. Just go slow and follow every instruction especially the steps where you painstakingly check every value and every connection! Twice. Before applying power.

5. R.L.

R.L. Member

Don’t they use a printed circuit board instead of turrets or eyelets? IOW not handwired point to point...

BluesBUSTER likes this.
  6. R.L.

R.L. Member

I would also pay attention to the Caps and Transformers you are getting. Even if you go with a kit that doesn’t have all the ones you want, you can still source those elsewhere or separately. That way you can get the kit you want and still end up with the sound you’re looking for.

BluesBUSTER likes this.
  7. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

No idea that doesn't have any impact on the sound of the amp.

R.L. likes this.
  8. Jiminvan

Did you mean "no idea what..."?

R.L. likes this.
  9. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

PCB or point to point construction has no effect on the sound of an amp. Should be a comma after no idea. Just like PIO caps don't make a guitar sound better , it is the value not how the cap is constructed.

10. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Member

Yup, PTP wiring is just easier to work on and maintain, if you are so inclined. I am too ham-fisted for PCB soldering.....but PTP is easier.

BluesBUSTER, Hbom and R.L. like this.
  11. R.L.

R.L. Member

A guy like George allesandro might disagree with you, gutting all those Fender reissues and all...

BluesBUSTER likes this.
  12. blues

blues Supporting Member

Different caps can make a sound difference even if they are of the same value. IE Sozo,Mullard mustard, Sprague Orange drops ect. More so in amps.

13. Jiminvan

I agree for the most part, and personally I would have found my Allen build easier on a PCB because there would always be only one lead per hole, no manual jumpers, etc. The rework on a turret board is not necessarily easier either, although PCB pads can lift if you're not careful or have to work the same pad a few times.

14. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Speaking of amps, tried the new Fender Deluxe Reverb Tone Master today. If you haven’t heard about, it’s digital. Yes, I said it, a digital modeling amp that just does the blackface DR, just hitting the stores now, along with it’s fraternal Twin. Which is a Twin.

Growing thread about them on the amps and cabs page.

In short, da—yum! It’s a brave new world.

A 23 pound brave new world.

15. RMosack

Why?

R.L. likes this.
  16. MAGICboy

MAGICboy Member

Composition and manufacturing process.

I’ve seen it for years although it was more prevalent in pre Rohs components.

17. RMosack

I've got to try those.

It kind of makes sense that it would sound good. I kind of look a the tube versus solid state model and then the tube versus digital model. Many/most guitar players throughout the past FIVE DECADES have viewed solid state amps as bad or inferior or lacking in any of a number of ways. This goes from the Fender Zodiac and Vox solid state amps throughout the decades. They supposedly "sucked" for years. Yet, oddly enough, the Roland Jazz Chorus JC-120 has kind of sounded good for about four decades. And we've been feasting on solid state overdrive, distortion and fuzz devices for half a century. Hmmm... It didn't take very long for SS suckage of the '60s to be replaced by a great sounding workhorse amp in the '70s.

Now, after all these years, and continuing improvements in technology, why wouldn't it be hard to believe that digital can sound/feel good too? It has/had to happen.

fretless, Wolfboy1, HERSCHEL and 3 others like this.
  18. RMosack

I should have clarified. Why do composition and process matter? My assumption is that you aren't talking about something as simplistic as part tolerance (e.g., a resistor being off by a certain percentage). If a capacitor's job is to hold and then discharge, how does the composition change the way it does so, and how does it translate into something that we can hear?

Not really trying to nitpick or disparage any amp or pedal makers. I'm actually really curious about this sort of stuff, and I've been wondering it for a while. I read a write up in Premier Guitar from Dirk Wacker about changing tone caps in guitars, but I can't recall him ever really explaining why a paper in oil cap that was at its nominal value actually made your guitar sound different than a carbon comp. metal film, etc. cap that was also at its nominal value. Hoping somebody can chime in.

Hbom likes this.
  19. MAGICboy

MAGICboy Member

Audio signals pass differently throughout these components or are effected by the materials the components are made from and how they are made.

Pre rohs components had lead levels “Pb” through the roof. When they got rid off excess pB many people including myself could feel and hear a difference. Some things were minor other things were major

We all felt it. Some had to redesign their circuitry to get back to the sweet spots they were used to audibly.

In amplifiers it is more of a thing because the signals are so large at the middle and end of the circuits vs small audio signals found in pedals.

But I can take a bone stock TS9 and replace certain resistors with metal film to quite things down or I can take carbon comp resistors placed in certain areas of said circuits to warm things up, build different decay structures, ect ect

Mostly this ts9 comes with a carbon film resistor. Around the power supply using metal film resistors will quite down any power grid noise like hum and ripple vs carbon film. If you put carbon comp in these areas it will become noisier.

Audio path vs power grid components and the materials they are made of can and will make differences here and there.

I didn’t understand it myself until I started experimenting in the late 90s with composition and placement in all areas just to see because I was curious. There is another theory I always talk about with a friend and he was skeptical until he started noticing his pedals tone becoming softer over time.

I always believed in this because I’ve played pedals I built 10 years ago and they seemed bright and clear. I’ll get one in for repair and they sound softer. I always tell people when they buy a backup of anything it’s gonna sound bright compared to their older unit and 9 times out of 10 within a few years they confirm this has happened.

20. blues

blues Supporting Member

I noticed this with my old PP100.

At first I thought it was a loss of volume. Now I get it.

AceBSpankin, timibucktwo and R.L. like this.