Lovepedal Hermida SNS Appreciation Thread Part Deux--The Ham Sammich Lives!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by la noise, Mar 6, 2018.

1. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I looked into it earlier and there is a difference, which got me to not try it. I guess my question is whether that might be harmful to the amp. I guess I could just email David Allen. Or just get some more 6l6s!

HERSCHEL likes this.
  2. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

Just rebias the amp if you can

3. Jiminvan

Jiminvan Supporting Member

It may not be as simple as rebiasing. You can get the power down to the 23W needed for the 5881 but if you exceed the plate voltage by too much there might still be a problem even if you're obeying the power limit. I don't know enough about these things to be sure.

Here's one of many threads on this...
    5881 vs 6L6.....the difference is?

HERSCHEL and Slabowitz like this.
  4. Slabowitz

Slabowitz Member

I was lucky enough to score a Black Glass BBB in the last sale, and it seems like it is a fuzz built along the same lines as the White Dragon that is so highly regarded. Can anyone clue me in as to the differences between the two?

Blue Mel likes this.
  5. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Member

I’ll do a shootout once mine arrives and post either a crappy video or a high-quality WAV.

6. timibucktwo

timibucktwo Supporting Member

Yellow Rubber Chicken on the way!
    :banana:banana

7. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

And my tubes will be a week because they are not in stock currently. Oh Well !

HERSCHEL likes this.
  8. bluesyjacuzzi

bluesyjacuzzi Member

Yellow Rubber Chicken incoming here as well. :banana:banana:banana

Looking forward to trying it out!

9. Blue Mel

Blue Mel Silver Supporting Member

I see the term "BBB" now and then. It seems to be a prefix, used with various pedal components. It appears to stand for "Black Beauty Balanced" - Which appears to describe - light Fuzz, Rangemaster, clean boost (sort of options). The name after the "BBB" refers to the flavor of the pedals insides?

It seems almost impossible to know the slight differences in these "BBB" pedals with the amount of information avaliable. One would have to ask 4,6,8 times to try and gather the info from a user to make a decision. Or just go on a buying spree of BBB's. Thanks for listening.

10. Big in Japan

Big in Japan Member

Now you’re getting it.

11. timibucktwo

timibucktwo Supporting Member

I bought a used Burst Tchula the other day that’s on the way to go along with the soon-to-arrive Red Moon Tchula.
    Mississippi, Black Mamba, & Gold Tchula versions are already in hand.
    Guess I really AM getting closer to filling an entire board with Tchulas for the heck of it sometime, seems like a good way to spend a day off making a bunch of racket.
    :JAM

12. moo cow

moo cow Supporting Member

We need a head to head to head.... well, you get the idea.

13. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Member

Exactly.

14. Slabowitz

Slabowitz Member

Thanks, that's about what I'd figured out. It looks like the white dragon fuzz is a similar circuit, and I've heard so many good things about it that I was wondering how similar the two pedals were - are they just different takes on the same design?

Regardless, I'm stoked for my first lovepedal fuzz! ​

Blue Mel, timibucktwo and HERSCHEL like this.
  15. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

I just have the BBB18/si freebie that I won and it is a pretty nice pedal. Have only played a few fuzzfaces in my life that I liked and those were all 60s or 70s models. Right side of the BBB is the FF side and I have found some sounds in it that I liked but I am much more partial to the treble booster side or left on the mix knob. Did some research when I got it and there are a bunch of different versions , I guess that is part of the fun to figure out how make a decision maybe ?

Blue Mel, Slabowitz and HERSCHEL like this.
  16. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

I find I want to buy something from Zzounds just because I'm amused by the Tom Yeti bits.

pedalpusher and Oinkus like this.
  17. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've found some of them quite funny. The most recent where he's podcasting doing ASMR and the phone rings... Classic!

Oinkus and HERSCHEL like this.
  18. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Member

Someone recently posted about getting Aerosmith Rocks tone with a Mkiii....so tonight I am playing my p90 Hamer Newport into my TikiDrive into a ge treble booster into a tweed Champ by Lil Dawg with a 12” speaker. Oh my. With guitar volume and tone both on 7, there was Draw The Line tone. Crispy crunchy rock and roll. DTL, Get It Up, Sight For Sore Eyes, Milk Cow Blues, Bright Light Fright...all there. So I started thinking about Rocks. DTL is brighter and crispier so I turned the treble booster gain up which made things a bit darker and a little fuzzier...and there we are, Rocks! Combination, Rats In The Cellar, Last Child....then back the booster back down and time for Chip Away The Stone....all at a fairly low volume. I love my Lovepedal boosters after the OD....Stinger, Eman, Lil China included. But GE treble boosters are supposed to go before an OD or straight into a cooking amp. But since @Glass Onion hipped me to doing this with the LGMos, I am trying others. It didn’t work with the PPSE, but man alive it works with the TikiDrive! Love tones like this.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Hbom, Blue Mel, AceBSpankin and 9 others like this.
  19. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

:banana Me too; got a pre-shipment notice today! :banana

20. Rob303

Rob303 Supporting Member

You may need a different rectifier. I have a Brown Sugar and that’s the case with it. David will easily fill you in.

HERSCHEL and Jiminvan like this.