Lovepedal Hermida SNS Appreciation Thread Part Deux--The Ham Sammich Lives!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by la noise, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Member

2. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Don’t have a joker but have an elephant man and a stinger so maybe a new boost I have not tried yet cool indeed. Like two new pedals instead of just one. Saturday is supposed to be the day. Woo Hoo.

SteveR, Jakeboy, BluesB@r and 2 others like this.
  3. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Boost on the Voxland is just a clean boost. Joker based, I think.

BluesB@r, Simon and Glass Onion like this.
  4. Glass Onion

Just got back from watching a former student in her dance theater group doing a re working of the lion king. It was amazing. The group has danced at Carnegie Hall. She was a shy kid in 5th grade 16 years ago. Seeing her dance like a true artist sitting by her mom and knowing how far that kid has come was mind blowing.
    The family has become like family to me. Her brother is a few years after her and a good friend now as well.
    Her parents have become good friends and make me want to cry when they start talking about the impact I had.
    I don’t care about state tests. This kind of stuff is where the true payment comes from.
    Thanks for listening.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 12:58 AM
    scatto, SteveR, Supergome and 16 others like this.
  5. Glass Onion

6. Glass Onion

It was worth staying up hours past my old man bed time and driving an hour to see her be that amazing.

7. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I think the Purple Plexi with boost has the Joker as well. I think I prefer the COT boosts a bit more because they ad some gain.
    The Vintage Modern is a interesting pedal. It has a 2 knob COT that has a lot of gain.

HERSCHEL, anxiousmofo and Jakeboy like this.
  8. RockAltVintBluesSoul

RockAltVintBluesSoul Supporting Member

Not caught up on the thread, but quick comment to help on this. I have done a LOT of A/B testing on this issue and don’t have much time now, but TrueTone CS-12 is best option on reasonable budget and Strymon Zuma is probably best option, but at much higher cost per tap. Both are way better sounding (more 3D and alive sounding — shockingly so) than PP2+. I still use my PP2+ supplies for many drives though, as I suspect a lot were built tuned through them, and drives sound fine through them. Mods and time based effects sound *way* better through TrueTone and Strymon, in my opinion.

In terms of which tap you use on the CS-12, my ears tell me they are not all the same. Even though they can share excess power from other taps (which theoretically makes them all the same), there must be priority in some way to naturally powering the 500s over the 250s and 250s over the 100s. Just plug a pedal in and move the power cable from tap to tap. You will hear a difference, and the higher powered taps will sound better for whatever reason.

(I have not tried the Yankee or Cioks supplies, but have tried the above named supplies and the MXR DC ISO Brick and VooDoo ISO-5. The Yankee seems to have numerous complaints, so not interested. The Cioks sound interesting, but the RCA connections sort of put me off since they are not standard. If I couldn’t make the stuff I have work, I would try Cioks, but I feel I have found the answers I need on this. Of course, YMMV.)

9. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for doing the work for me :aok
    I have a CS7, a couple of Voodoo Labs, a CIOKs, a Joyo, and another one I can't remember plus some Truetone Onespots. The CS7 is my most recent and I love it, the small CIOKs I have on a mini board is also very nice and the Voodoo ones have never let me down either.
    The journey from a OneSpot to Joyo to ultimately the CS7 has been interesting but relatively uneventful for me. My ears are no longer quite as discriminatory as they used to be and I've noticed less in the tone changes than you (I'll take your word for it and appreciate the comments as well). I've noticed mostly a reduction in noise and better compatibility among my pedals with the better quality power supplies. Plus they are quite flexible in both voltage and power. Very happy with the Truetone CS-7 and intend to keep this as my brand of choice when buying more.

10. RockAltVintBluesSoul

RockAltVintBluesSoul Supporting Member

You would notice it most on something like @Jack DeVille Mr. Black Blood & Chrome, which is a crazy great Reverb and gets completely 3D with better power. To my ears, it is best through the Zuma, but also great on CS-12. My Hudson Broadcast sounds best on Zuma also (18v) but much better on CS-12 (18v) than it did on the MXR or VDL supplies (also at 18V on MXR and 18V via voltage doubler cable on PP2+). Sounds more complete and better defined. Why? Dunno. But I have run probably too many experiments on this. The mods, verbs and delays really sound much different, and the TrueTone hits sound quality and affordability to me. But I have one Zuma I recently acquired, and it’s going to get the pedals where it makes the most difference. (And yes, I am one of those crazy people with the silly immovable home board with 40 pedals on it... because fun. ;))

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 1:48 PM
    bloobeastie, Hbom, Blue Mel and 5 others like this.
  11. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

I am just thrilled with the reduction of noise from daisy chaining everything to a Boss tuner or One Spot mostly. Suffering from Jalapeno hand currently , stuffing Japs with cream cheese , 4 Blend Cheddar and Emerils seasoning. Wrapping with bacon and smoking them with Cherrywood Sunday. I don't even attempt anything like all of the"sounds better" options with most gear because it just doesn't translate to sounding better live. I know you can hear the small changes that you observe in a quiet room not arguing about that or saying it doesn't change. I have played through a Crate Blue Voodoo Combo and had Pros tell me I sounded fantastic , go figure that one out. That amp sounded like crap on it's best day but in a live mix it is hardly noticeable.

AceBSpankin, HERSCHEL and Wolfboy1 like this.
  12. blues

blues Supporting Member

13. Jiminvan

Jiminvan Supporting Member

Non-LP NGD...CSW Green Thing!
    :rockin .:dude:JAM

(Can't use dancing bananas if it's not an LP!)

First impressions:
    - sharp looker - understated aluminum with black knobs and a green (!) LED
    - well built in and out - including a JRC 4558D (presumably not NOS not that I think that matters much)
    - sounds like a good TS808 should to my ears!

Thanks for the tip @Big in Japan and others!

14. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Supporting Member

15. LaughinBones

LaughinBones Member

Blue Mel, Jakeboy and RMosack like this.
  16. LaughinBones

LaughinBones Member

Jalapeño hand ain't nothin to **** with... Especially on Valentine's Day, if you catch my drift.

17. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

I was dogging Sean for one of those a couple years back. He said he had several in storage he just hadn't got around to finishing. Told me he'd sell me one if he ever did. I know you seem to really like yours @blues

18. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

19. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

It was a collab with Ark Amps, if I recall.

20. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

Need to know more about that cool little amp.