Lovepedal Hermida SNS Appreciation Thread Part Deux--The Ham Sammich Lives!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by la noise, Mar 6, 2018.

1. lofibrian

lofibrian Supporting Member

Let me point you guys to dave barber and many others pointing at issues sourcing things like enclosures and common pedal parts in quantity during these times.

I'm sure Sean would be no stranger to these issues right now too. So it's prob not possible to do a SNS right now...

On the cusack front, there have been a few collabs over the years. Cusack is a mass production design genius and is also in Michigan. Just like Sean and Jack Deville\Mr. Black have been known to collab. Jack is known for many things outside his own brand. He designed the PCB layout for the OG belle epoch for example. and helped Sean with some of the digital LP pedals (60s reverb). And obviously Sean saved the day and picked up Alf Hermida's designs to manufacture when Alf couldn't keep up production. So Alf can keep doing martial arts instead of breathing solder fumes...I

So it's funny to me how much camaraderie there is in the pedal industry when you pay attention. I guess just like there is as much beef about circuits and politics therein.

2. BluesBUSTER

BluesBUSTER Supporting Member

As I said earlier, I seem to recall Sean saying he has his PCBs made by Cusack and probably populated. It looks like I'm not the only one to remember the same thing. It shouldn't make a difference, they're great pedals. I love my Amp11, Eternity, OD11 and many others.

3. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Cusack has always been solid by me. :) I had a Tap-a-Whirl for years but sold it when i went mostly MIDI with modulation.

4. SpaceandFuzz

SpaceandFuzz Silver Supporting Member

Anything special about the white small box Amp Eleven from 2018-2019? I know the big box had a smoother boost side, but did they do anything different with the later white small box version? There’s so much variation between the generations of all of Sean’s pedals, so I’m just curious.

5. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

No problem! Hopefully the Gross is a fun one for you. I can see the possibility for option anxiety with it but, like you said, you can also just consider it like 78 different COT/Electra-ish pedals in one plus another 78 other sounds when you mix in that third clipping diode; seems a great value for the versatility offered vs putting that same money toward 2-5 Lovepedal Electra variants.

Joe shows up on TGP from time to time or you could contact him through his site if you wanted tips about some settings that might represent the biggest change from one to the next. Here's some advice he posted for getting started with it. Such a cool looking pedal too!

BluesBUSTER and pedalpusher like this.
  6. outdoorpja

outdoorpja Supporting Member

Tommy's around. I just communicated with him recently -- placed an order with him in fact! But I have read about some of the past challenges with him being incommunicado and folks waiting YEARS for pedals they ordered from him. In fact reading all that made me hesitant to place an order with him, despite my desire to try out one of his ODs. But when I reached out to him, he responded in less than 24 hours.

7. roquero

roquero Bold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Thanks.

I had read that advice before purchasing.

He mostly recommends it as a studio tool to layer or stack guitars, giving each one a different sonic signature so that they blend well together and the frequencies don’t clash. I will try that once I get my home studio up and running again.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    BluesBUSTER and Tabor like this.
  8. roquero

Cool!

What did you order?

I hope you get your pedal. His track record recently raises eyebrows.

Tommy used to be a regular here. As a matter of fact, I got one of the last pedals that he promoted on a TGP sale here (The Leeds) before he stopped posting and went semi-incognito.

Besides the Leeds, I have the Lemon Drop and Jelly Roll- all excellent pedals.

If he got his act together again, I’d be willing to try out more of them.

Let us know how the buying experience goes.

Blue Mel, BluesBUSTER and outdoorpja like this.
  9. outdoorpja

thanks! will keep y'all posted. he's only got two for order up on his site right now -- i've heard lots of great things about the Lemon Drop, and currently he offers the "7 Series OD" which he quotes as the Lemon Drop with expanded controls. so i went with that. i had emailed him to ask if his current offerings were in fact available for order (because i had read about the highly varied experiences), and that's when he replied quickly that they were. so i CURRENTLY have no reason to doubt ;)

BluesBUSTER, HERSCHEL and roquero like this.
  10. roquero

Key word: CURRENTLY ;)

Fingers crossed!

RMosack and outdoorpja like this.
  11. LionVerse

LionVerse Anhedonic Misanthrope Silver Supporting Member

It's digital and I would guess @Jack DeVille may have had a hand in making that one.

12. macrossgeorge

macrossgeorge Member

My search for a Lovepedal Champ peal has ended. One popped up on reverb this morning and I just bought it $60 plus tax and shipping was $75.50 total so I am happy about that. Strange thing is that I just looked at the listing again and it says it was posted 2 years ago! I have been searching reverb on a daily basis for these and only saw this listing this morning. Maybe the seller had their shop on vacation mode or something?

Blue Mel, HERSCHEL, RMosack and 3 others like this.
  13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I have to say "Good Luck!". I bought a supposedly pre-built Magik OD7 off of Ebay. There was a little communication at the beginning, then he went silent. After 3-4 months he acknowledged that he hadn't built it and refunded my money. Some 6 months later the pedal arrived? I sent him the money back. So, no one I know has been actually ripped off, but delays of months to more than a year are not uncommon. How patient are you?

14. outdoorpja

how long ago was this Dr Bob?

15. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Member

I picked up a used Majik Series 7 a few months ago after wanting a LemonDrop forever. I must say, it really does nail that old Solid State Vox preamp and fuzz from those series 7 amps. Lots of mid-60s Brit Invasion tones in there...Think the Stones Miss Amanda Jones as well as the Zep II thing....

Blue Mel and HERSCHEL like this.
  16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Ordered 10/16.

17. Joe Gore

Joe Gore Member

My comment about Cusack's clients is true, and names you know are involved. (But it would be unethical of me to specify.) And it's that way all across the MI industry. A friend of mine, a well known member of the guitar-gear community who's created a lot of products you've probably used, recently told me about the single production facility in Los Angeles where a number of the expensive LA-based boutique amp brands all have their stuff built.

Yes, there absolutely ARE builders who do it all at by themselves. My San Francisco neighbor, Bruce Clement of BC Amps, springs to mind. His amp-building technique is second to none, and he does EVERYTHING in his garage by himself. And yes, there are folks like that in pedal world.

Does it matter? Sometimes. Bruce's amps mainly owe their quality to Bruce's skill, but the fact that he oversees everything is also a contributing factor. But my case is the opposite: I think I'm a good sound designer who's stumbled upon some cool circuits through endless trial and error, but frankly, my workbench skills suck. Back when I was building only handmade pedals for friends, rock stars, and other deadbeats, the two comments I'd get most often were, "Wow—I love it!" and "It broke." The factory-made versions of my pedals are inevitably better than my handmade ones.

My attitude might differ had I not been reviewing guitar gear since the Pleistocene. I've become so allergic to marketing jive and technical nonsense. I just can't barf out BS like "my pedal is unique because it has true bypass/magic transistors/carbon comp resistors/enchanted diodes/only through-hole parts," let alone claim that I created a circuit that's been around for 30, 40, or 50 years.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  18. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

My handmade Ego Booster is a fine pedal that works quite well TYVM Mr. Gore ! It certainly is not the prettiest thing on the insides but it has worked perfectly for many years now. I don't get all those words people use , just not that bright I guess? [​IMG]

19. Joe Gore

Joe Gore Member

It hasn't broken yet? AMAZING!

20. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

Yeah, that's like USA Custom Guitars back when they were rolling along. Their bodies and necks were used by quite a few "boutique" builders.

HERSCHEL, Joe Gore and BluesBUSTER like this.