Lovepedal Hermida SNS Appreciation Thread Part Deux--The Ham Sammich Lives!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by la noise, Mar 6, 2018.

1. BluesBUSTER

BluesBUSTER Supporting Member

Truth! After (too many) years of playing and going 'round the MI the only conclusion that I can draw is that good gear is "good gear". There's no other general rules with regards to manufacturing techniques, magic parts or pixie farts. If manufacturing is shoddy it will show and the brand will suffer. Some of the best and most used gear over the years has covered the gamut between big-industrial-factory (ex: BOSS) to small-hand-made (ex: AnalogMan).

Fat tone79, Blue Mel and HERSCHEL like this.
  2. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

He responded. And I'm guessing he probably took the order. The fun part, based on many posts here on TGP, is how long you will now wait and how the communication might become. Best of luck to you

3. BluesBUSTER

BluesBUSTER Supporting Member

From what I know, the white small-box is the classic AMP11. Mine sounds identical to the gold small-box and the sparkle green small-box. The platinum silver small-box is a little different and so are the black and the white big-boxes.

HERSCHEL and SpaceandFuzz like this.
  4. outdoorpja

outdoorpja Supporting Member

As in 10/2016? Or 10/16/2019

5. roquero

roquero Bold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Hello Joe-

Glad you chimed in!

Just got my shipping notice from Vintage King and my Gross Distortion pedal should be here Monday. Can’t wait.

I had one of those Electra guitars with the effects back in the 80s and have several of Sean’s variations.

I am probably going to go crazy dialing up the hundreds of variations your pedal offers, but I will take the advice that you give about just randomly
    choosing different combinations and letting my ears be the judge.

6. RMosack

@Joe Gore
    (apologies to the group, if this isn't the appropriate thread)
    I've been reading up on your Gross Distortion. 12 diodes on the number knob and 12 more on the letter knob is really interesting.
    The site says the two diodes (not counting that extra one on the single switch) are symmetrical. I'm curious if you use the same diode on the 1 as on the A, and the same diode on the 2 as on the B, etc.? Or, is it 24 different diodes? And finally, is that extra diode the same as one of the ones on the switches.
    I understand if you choose not to answer. I could just buy one and look inside! I'm just curious as I supposedly "work from home" during this COVID-19 thing
    Thank you.

HERSCHEL and bloobeastie like this.
  7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Sorry, 10 of 2016. So, things might have changed, except that doesn't seem to be true from other threads since then. But, you may do great!

HERSCHEL, Lt Dak and outdoorpja like this.
  8. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

So, *if* Lovepedal are made by Cusack, (except the handmade ones), and all of the critics seem to allege that the quality has "taken a nosedive" since he started selling non-handwired/SNS/PCB versions of his pedals....

What are we to make of this?

Cusack makes low quality gear?
    Cusack makes gear at a price point and Lovepedal pays very little?
    Some people just love to complain and look for problems?

Is it possible Cusack doesn't manufacture LP stuff?
    Is it possible that those folks who dis the Lovepedal PCB stuff would find the same fault in other pedals manufactured by Cusack?

(These are all serious questions. It's not supposed to be some kind of Socratic line of questioning.)

9. Joe Gore

Joe Gore Member

SOOO off-topic, but still ... :)

It's pretty simple: Each rotary switch has 12 different diodes — 24 different diodes in total. When two clipping diodes are combined, it's symmetrical. There's also a toggle switch that engages a single third diode (a common 1N4148, if memory serves). With the switch engaged, any setting becomes asymmetrical.

If someone really wanted to be nuts, they could replace that toggle with a third rotary switch, and then a fourth. But the pedal is already too complex. :)

As I point out in the documentation and advertising, that doesn't mean 100-some drastically different combinations. Some sound very similar. Others less so. But then, there's a really nice active tone stack, so you can get many variations on any given diode combination.

Mods, nuke me if this post is inappropriate.

10. RMosack

I'm speaking based on low sample size, so take that with a grain of salt.

To me, the issues I've seen on a few of my pedals and some I've read here haven't been major SMD process type things. It's not like they have shipped out a bunch of pedals that all had a recurring assembly issue on the board level - at least to my knowledge.

For me, it's been the piddly little stuff, and mostly related to bigger components.
    1) I had one pedal that arrived with a non-functioning LED. Sent it back for repair/replacement. I didn't even look, but my guess was either a bad LED or a solder miss. But we are talking about a bit old component soldered onto the board, probably late in the build.
    2) I had a 200 lbs of Gold with peeling logo. I think this was related to the gold paint they tried to use at the time. The replacement had the same issue. The third one they sent had a more textured gold and it was fine. Again, a silly paint/decal issue.
    3) The Hi Volt issue was a deal where they switched to a big, chunky plastic battery snap that took too much room. You couldn't close the case if you plugged in battery. This one was kind of in the Keystone Kops realm, but it wasn't some SMD/PCB type issue. Just a really dumb decision.
    4) The stuff I've read form others has more or less been these sort of things.

So add it all up, and I don't see any trend of "Cusack/Lovepedal making bad pedals". Not at all. For me, it's a bum LED, a poor paint/decal decision, and a really dumb component choice (battery snap).

Fat tone79, Lt Dak and BluesBUSTER like this.
  11. RMosack

Thanks. I understand all of that.

I was just wondering if diode A was the same as diode 1, diode 2 was the same as diode 2, etc. I guess two groups of 12 diodes (as opposed to 24 different diodes). That's all I wondered.

So if a person selected diode 4 on one switch, and diode D on the other, they would be selecting the same model number diode on both switches.

And I certainly understand if this is too off topic. But it's so darn interesting!

12. Joe Gore

Joe Gore Member

Yes, 24 different diodes. None appears twice.

13. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

There is no actual topic in this thread when a sale is not going. Colonoscopies have been a pretty recent multi post. Not going into the real weird stuff either. Edit= After further review upon replacement on the board the Codpiece -Ego Booster works exactly as described.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Blue Mel, HERSCHEL, Lt Dak and 2 others like this.
  14. RevLoveShot

RevLoveShot Member

I’ll take codpiece and colonoscopies for the win, Alex!

15. RMosack

I feel like I must have missed some pages. Codpieces? Colonoscopies? What the even heck?!

HERSCHEL and bloobeastie like this.
  16. PedalCrazyFool

PedalCrazyFool Gold Supporting Member

This, right here, is a batch of tone glory!

Hope you all have great evenings and a wonderful weekend!

17. zerorez

zerorez Member

So is the Lovepedal company still in business?, taking a brief hiatus or break due to covid 19? or other reasons?

No updates on the .com website. No updates or communication on social media pages or tgp since January of 2020?

What Up? :dunno

bloobeastie, Jiminvan and BluesBUSTER like this.
  18. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

I think they might've taken a break anyways due to personal reasons.

19. Skip Reid

Skip Reid Member

It's a flat top Friday for me. My 76 Guild

20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm sensing a theme and THIS is the guitar you need:

[​IMG]