Lovepedal Hermida SNS Appreciation Thread Part Deux--The Ham Sammich Lives!

Oinkus

I have an OK set of earplugs but upgraded with the EarPeace set , shipping was half the cost. Turned down going to a party and playing next week too. The guy I used to take care of his gear/jam room. Bunch of drunks and no masks is something I can't participate in.

Last edited:

Oinkus

My friend from NASA that has all of the nice guitars came over and soldered up the Tele with the high output Fralins. Pickups sound great but they are more similar to the A3s in my other Tele then different. A little brighter and more oomph for sure but pretty close in sounds. Still requires a complete setup all I did was a quick match on the pickup height for volume. Using the wrong bridgeplate and the saddles off of the Babicz Z series bridge that does not match at all. You have to remove the saddles completely to restring the guitar and then intonate again. All in all it was a good successful install with some more work required to get it the best it can be. In other news it is mighty quiet around here kids ?

cuz/karl

Supporting Member
Well, my attempt at a "Nebula" ceruse finish went a bit awry. In part because the blue filler I used was a base of minwax grain filler that turned gritty rather than smooth, so I ended up blending the red across the board, which gave me more of a "deep twilight sky" than "gaseous nebula". The spray flake I found is also pretty fine, so it looks like specks of dust in the picture rather than prominent stars. It sparkles in-hand. I'm debating whether I want to sand back and see if I can get something different or rolling with this before I poly it in. This is a lot more subtle than I was thinking, is all.
View attachment 273015
Nice. I dig it.
Here's one I just sold.

Oinkus

Looks like I have a switch issue , sound goes off when you touch the switch in the neck position to move it. might be the Chinese manufacturing because the plastic part of the 3 way tele switch moves from side to side.

HERSCHEL

Nice. I dig it.
Here's one I just sold.
Thanks, the second attempt, now on the Z, using just red turned out more like I was hoping, though the flake is still really fine and looks like dust still in the photo. I laid down a couple of coats of poly between the paint and flake in case I decide to go with a more coarse grain, but it's also harder to smooth over with gloss.

1600049084794.png

RMosack

Supporting Member
Thanks, the second attempt, now on the Z, using just red turned out more like I was hoping, though the flake is still really fine and looks like dust still in the photo. I laid down a couple of coats of poly between the paint and flake in case I decide to go with a more coarse grain, but it's also harder to smooth over with gloss.

View attachment 276723
I see what you mean. It does look like dust in the finish.

By the way, I see the recessed TOM bridge and H-S-H pickup route. What are you throwing in there?

Blue Mel

Silver Supporting Member

View attachment 276723
I haven't chosen to get into the guitar finish challenge. But it occurs to me that buying some blocks of wood to practice on??? Finish/sand, finish/sand, start over/sand (LOL)
Maybe a block of Mahogany, Maple, heavy grain etc. Each piece is different of course, but each tree has its characteristics. Once ya have the procedure down, use the hunk of your guitar body for the learned skills. Just passin' a Sunday night...

HERSCHEL

The Tune-o-matic will probably the Gotoh I have. Pickups are going to hopefully be interesting.

Bridge: DiMarzio Super Distortion
Middle: Benson Custom "P-90 tones" hot A2 (I won an eBay auction a few years back. Gnarly, but too hot for guitars I had)
Neck: Revel Custom Post Modern A4

My thought was I like the H-P set up, but wanted a clean, more neutral option, as well. I found a few others had already had the idea of hot, ceramic bridge/A4 neck (Monty's Bill Steer, Avedissian Night Prowler) and I'm hoping the Super Distortion gives me the 80s hard rock tones I'm seeking.

HERSCHEL

Mel, I think finishing is a royal pain at this point, but I don't have an air brush/sprayer and everything is by hand or rattle can. The poly is giving me issues lately.

Eff it, I just ordered a Mr. Black Doom Stick II fuzz. I've gone down the fuzz rabbit hole a bit lately, for some reason.
I am down the fuzz rabbit hole as well, I have been buying the mini fuzz face series pedals recently. I just need to get the germanium one to complete the set. They are all pretty different in terms of character, or some clean up nicer, some are more aggressive and the band of gypsies pedal is definitely not a fuzz face, but is super nasty in a good way. (Supposed to be an octavia without the octive). I run them all around 6V which brings out some brokenness to the sound. Hope Everybody's well.

Skyler

cuz/karl

Supporting Member
Mel, I think finishing is a royal pain at this point, but I don't have an air brush/sprayer and everything is by hand or rattle can. The poly is giving me issues lately.
I had trouble with poly at first too.
Light coats.Light sanding in between(1000, 1500) wipe clean with a tack cloth or rag with a little rubbing alcohol. When you think your done rubbing compound( got mine at the auto parts store) scratch remover is good or medium to fine.
I got a set of foam wheels on line for like $8 .
Used a standard cordless drill

RMosack

Supporting Member
I had trouble with poly at first too.
Light coats.Light sanding in between(1000, 1500) wipe clean with a tack cloth or rag with a little rubbing alcohol. When you think your done rubbing compound( got mine at the auto parts store) scratch remover is good or medium to fine.
I got a set of foam wheels on line for like $8 .
Used a standard cordless drill
Nice.

I always do the wet sanding bit with paper from 400 grit all the way up to 2000 grit. Over the years, I've used a combination of straight wet-dry paper as well as the weird little square pads from Stew Mac. After the 2000 grit, then I polish it up. In the old days, I used something called 3M Finesse It II from the auto parts store. But the last couple guitars I've done with those little foam wheels in the drill with a medium and then fine buffing compound from Stew Mac too. I had to remember to mark the back of the wheels with a paint pen so I can remember which one is medium and which is fine so I don't mix them up later.

cuz/karl

Supporting Member
Nice.

I always do the wet sanding bit with paper from 400 grit all the way up to 2000 grit. Over the years, I've used a combination of straight wet-dry paper as well as the weird little square pads from Stew Mac. After the 2000 grit, then I polish it up. In the old days, I used something called 3M Finesse It II from the auto parts store. But the last couple guitars I've done with those little foam wheels in the drill with a medium and then fine buffing compound from Stew Mac too. I had to remember to mark the back of the wheels with a paint pen so I can remember which one is medium and which is fine so I don't mix them up later.
Good idea. Mine were different colors.
I too was wet sanding but I used alcohol instead of water. Seemed to work well.

Oinkus

First time I bought a Mojotone switch will be the last , part failure is unacceptable. More trouble then it is worth to jump through the hoops and get another part too. I have it jury rigged but it will require a permanent solution at some point. Pretty sure I am going to put a third pickup in it too it just seems too similar sounding to my ear. I thought the high output pickups with A5 magnets would be enough.

Hbom

Silver Supporting Member
First time I bought a Mojotone switch will be the last , part failure is unacceptable. More trouble then it is worth to jump through the hoops and get another part too. I have it jury rigged but it will require a permanent solution at some point. Pretty sure I am going to put a third pickup in it too it just seems too similar sounding to my ear. I thought the high output pickups with A5 magnets would be enough.
Bummer! I've always had good results with Mojotone bits. I'm guessing they will make it right, but that sh t is always a BIG PIA.

RMosack

Supporting Member
Good idea. Mine were different colors.
I too was wet sanding but I used alcohol instead of water. Seemed to work well.
I've never tried wet sanding anything with alcohol. I would have thought it would evaporate too soon. I just do the water with a drop of dish soap thing.

Trending Topics