Lovepedal Hermida SNS Appreciation Thread Part Deux--The Ham Sammich Lives!

cuz/karl

Supporting Member
I've never tried wet sanding anything with alcohol. I would have thought it would evaporate too soon. I just do the water with a drop of dish soap thing.
It started cuz the powdered die I used for color was alcohol based.
I used straight alcohol on a rag to smooth out heavy color spots.
It was there so I grabbed it and it seemed to work.

BluesB@r

Congrats! Let's see, Muff and the E-lady. Throw a delay in there and you'll have those Gilmour Animals, Solo album and The Wall tones for days. Something magical about what that little bit of swirl from an Electric Mistress does to a Big Muff.

And I second what Blue Mel said. The CS12 is really good.

I got my Rams Head today and I definitely agree, there is something magical about an Electric-Lady with a Big Muff.

Holy wall of fuzz, and the sustain... this pedal rocks!

Blue Mel

Silver Supporting Member
Peter's a teacher. Depending on the pandemic/reopening situation, he might be inclined to revive the side business in the coming months.
I think the possibility exists that he could do a run of pedals this Fall. I wouldn't mind an Alpha Dog, or maybe a Merman.
Say @eclecticsynergy you almost got lucky, and didn’t know it. o_O When yall started talking VFE pedals a while back, I was clueless. Since you are one of our working musicians, I decided to try a Merman (on your want list). My plan was to mess with it and if it wasn’t over the top, I would sell it to you for a reasonable used price.

Welp, I love it. There are so many textures in that box. Of course, my good luck stuck it to you man. Because you mentioned the Alpha Dog, looks like I may have a distortion pedal in my future. Also, maybe some interest in the Tractor Beam? Peter R. must have changed the name or quit making it? Can't find. Wish I was just starting in pedals and knew about Lovepedals AND VFE’s. Top shelf stuff.

All of the newly tweeked VFE's will likely be great. But is there a must have next one from the peanut gallery?

Say @eclecticsynergy you almost got lucky, and didn’t know it. o_O When yall started talking VFE pedals a while back, I was clueless. Since you are one of our working musicians, I decided to try a Merman (on your want list). My plan was to mess with it and if it wasn’t over the top, I would sell it to you for a reasonable used price.

Welp, I love it. There are so many textures in that box. Of course, my good luck stuck it to you man. Because you mentioned the Alpha Dog, looks like I may have a distortion pedal in my future. Also, maybe some interest in the Tractor Beam? Peter R. must have changed the name or quit making it? Can't find. Wish I was just starting in pedals and knew about Lovepedals AND VFE’s. Top shelf stuff.

All of the newly tweeked VFE's will likely be great. But is there a must have next one from the peanut gallery?

I love the Pale Horse; it was my favorite TubeScreamer variant for years (until the Valve Reamer took that honor). PaleHorse is extra tweakable, with six controls instead of three - including Low and High in addition to the conventional Tone knob. Plus another to tailor the breakup character, sweeping from the typical-TS asymmetrical clipping through pure opamp gain to rich MOSFET drive.

The VFEs all are well-crafted and always quite well-conceived - great sounding circuits right out of the box. Then they give you a ton of extra flexibility, someimes in unique and innovative ways, and sometimes by giving you control over components that normally have a fixed value in similar circuits.

Just as the Pale Horse is like an optimized TS, the Fiery Red Horse takes the basic Big Muff circuit and gives it the VFE treatment with a Mids knob (Bass on the newer ones) and another to starve the voltage. Plus one for overall drive texture - germanium or silicon.

Another gem is the White Horse compressor, a twist on traditional ear-friendly optical compressors. It has a Drive knob allowing you to get dynamically responsive grit right in the pedal. Unique in my experience, and quite handy. Includes controls for blend, response speed and, unusually, a bass knob.

PS: I appreciate your intention to pass the Merman along if it wasn't a good tonal match for your rig, and don't blame you a bit for keeping it. Glad it suited you.

Last edited:

BluesBUSTER

Supporting Member
I love the Pale Horse; it was my favorite TubeScreamer variant for years (until the Valve Reamer took that honor). PaleHorse is extra tweakable, with six controls instead of three - including Low and High in addition to the conventional Tone knob. Plus another to tailor the breakup character, sweeping from the typical-TS asymmetrical clipping through pure opamp gain to rich MOSFET drive.

The VFEs all are well-crafted and always quite well-conceived - great sounding circuits right out of the box. Then they give you a ton of extra flexibility, someimes in unique and innovative ways, and sometimes by giving you control over components that normally have a fixed value in similar circuits.

Just as the Pale Horse is like an optimized TS, the Fiery Red Horse takes the basic Big Muff circuit and gives it the VFE treatment with a Mids knob (Bass on the newer ones) and another to starve the voltage. Plus one for overall drive texture - germanium or silicon.

Another gem is the White Horse compressor, a twist on traditional ear-friendly optical compressors. It has a Drive knob allowing you to get dynamically responsive grit right in the pedal. Unique in my experience, and quite handy. Includes controls for blend, response speed and, unusually, a bass knob.

PS: I appreciate your intention to pass the Merman along if it wasn't a good tonal match for your rig, and don't blame you a bit for keeping it. Glad it suited you.
The Pale Horse is a great pedal, probably the most well-conceived TS variant. I've never had a chance to try the Merman but given the VFE reputation I'm sure it's a great pedal. The Hulk and the Valve Reamer were not very impressive to me, good pedals but lacked "something". Unlike the Eternity (burst, kanji and d-mod) that have abundant personality, the VR seemed to be a little introverted and intimidated.

jiml

So, my Amp11 sits in pieces on the bench. I'm sure its the switch, so I need to source another and try it.

Anyone have a good source for switches? The Shack is long gone...

drbob1

Silver Supporting Member
Mouser is always good:

But those switches are all built as cheaply as possible in China, so you could just buy 10 for $23, free shipping and fix all your pedals:

LikeAMotherF

Silver Supporting Member
@Big in Japan and @LikeAMotherF thanks so much for your weigh ins! And LikeAMotherF, you articulated EXACTLY how I feel the tap button is working even though mine is also used, so I think it must be the case they are all like this. It’s definitely a strange kind of soft-click as opposed to the click of the on off switch. I’m going to try one of these to see if it helps https://www.americanmusical.com/rockboard-bigtoe-footswitch-topper-3-pack/p/RBO-FTBIGTOE-LIST . I had not zeroed in that the problem was it is limited to quarter note tap ins, it’s too bad - if you had a small switch to select quarter, eighth or triplets tap ins, this thing would be killing it. The Starla and quite a few newer ones have it but have no idea what is involved. I can probably still work with it though given the pulse of the LED for faster songs but not ideal.

Also, no need to dig up the manual if it doesn’t provide more detail than you described. I thought I read on another thread that it has a depth adjustment trimmer, but haven’t cracked it open yet. What you say about the Babyface sparks a memory though of those trimmers. Maybe someone confused the two (like me, lol). Thanks!

what’s this about Shawn going AWOL?
Hey, I found the little insert for the Lovepedal Tap Tremolo, if you're interested!

(Finally found it! :cool:)

temple12

Noodler Extraordinaire
Silver Supporting Member
Hey, I found the little insert for the Lovepedal Tap Tremolo, if you're interested!

(Finally found it! :cool:)
Oh wow. Thanks for the follow up. If you think it has any data that isn’t completely evident on the pedal, I’d like it please. Otherwise no need to waste your time. Thank you again!

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Gold Supporting Member
Tell me it is better than an old Electro-Harmonix chorus. I had laying around and A tc that no longer seems to have tone print options. WTH is up with that.

Brion

Supporting Member
So, my Amp11 sits in pieces on the bench. I'm sure its the switch, so I need to source another and try it.

Anyone have a good source for switches? The Shack is long gone...
is it a switch with 9 lugs or 6? Is it board mounted or does it have lugs for wires? I probably have some of each switch with the lugs for wires, but none for direct mount to the board. Let me know and I can send one if I have the right type. A picture might help...

jiml

is it a switch with 9 lugs or 6? Is it board mounted or does it have lugs for wires? I probably have some of each switch with the lugs for wires, but none for direct mount to the board. Let me know and I can send one if I have the right type. A picture might help...
I'll check, need to pull the switch first.

Trending Topics