• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Lovepedal Hermida SNS Appreciation Thread Part Deux--The Ham Sammich Lives!

Oinkus

You really have no idea what an actual hoarder is do you ? He pulls gear out of dumpsters and trades it as if it actually is working. Once he tried to get me to sit and watch him pick through a 10 foot tall pile of garbage in the middle of his so - called studios floor. Held up a couple things and told me they had value. Besides the 100s of broken guitars ,amps and effects he has laying around. People around here collect stuff more than hoard from what I see.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
That was a good deal for Excels. I've owned 2? I think. Both bought on similar SDOTD things and eventually sold. From an arbitrage point of view, you can't lose. Drop it on Reverb with enough cushion to pay the tax and shipping and you should be able to break even if you don't love it. My problem with the Excels is that they just felt "boxy". For some reason the Deluxe 175 with the Filtertron like pickups just feels more organic/responsive. But yeah, at list price, they're completely hopeless, at $1000 off, not bad.

sundog964

Silver Supporting Member
I hear you. A Firebird is a guitar I would have never thought to buy if I had to choose between it and some others. But I always thought they were iconic.

In 2017, Sam Ash bought out some other store's complete inventory of 2015 Gibsons and put them all on huge discount. I think it must have been a store that went out of business. At the time, a Firebird V listed for $3498. Obviously, you paid less than that in retail. Usually about 30% off. But they blew them out at $999, which was a 71% drop. I jumped on it in September of 2017.

The cool thing about the 2015 Firebird V is that, whereas 2015 was a very weird year for many Gibsons, it was a very good year for Firebirds. For the Les Pauls and SGs, they had weird brass nuts, a wider fingerboard than usual, and the G-Force tuning system. G-Force was an improvement over the prior Robot system, but it was still kind of weird. The Firebird got none of that nonsense. It's a very cool, traditional Firebird. And it even has the banjo style tuners that ALL FIREBIRDS SHOULD HAVE. In this case, they are a cool Steinberger design.

But that wasnt the full story. I had learned about the deal in August. Within four days in late August of 2017, I sprung for a 2015 Les Paul Traditional in Ocean Blue (71% off) and a Les Paul Special Double Cut in Heritage Cherry (68% off). Craziest week of my guitar life. Both the Traditional and the Special had the weird 205 features, but they were both fantastic guitars. Not sure if they Plekked those, but they both seemed like it. Played like butter.

Again, I would have never bought a second Les Paul (already have my #1 1994 Standard) and a Special. But that deal was killer.

Wasn't long until I actually felt guilty about owning a second Les Paul. So I talked myself into flipping it on a 2018 60th Anniversary Jazzmaster...yes, another guitar I otherwise would not have bought.
I was a beneficiary of that deal. I too bought the 2015 Les Paul Traditional in Ocean Blue. I play it often, it is a very nice guitar. I don't really notice the bigger fretboard anymore, but I switch between PRS S2/Fender Strat/Epi LP/Gib LP all the time, so I'm not really set to a particular feel.

What a great deal that was.

Jiminvan

Silver Supporting Member
You really have no idea what an actual hoarder is do you ? He pulls gear out of dumpsters and trades it as if it actually is working. Once he tried to get me to sit and watch him pick through a 10 foot tall pile of garbage in the middle of his so - called studios floor. Held up a couple things and told me they had value. Besides the 100s of broken guitars ,amps and effects he has laying around. People around here collect stuff more than hoard from what I see.
OK that really is hoarder behavior!

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
I think MF is just tryin to get out from under all those D'angelico's. If we get real honest, there's no way in hell that they hold a finger to what else is out there in the same price bracket, i played a handful and they seemed very sterile and "all looks." I'm sure they are fine for what they are going for on SDOTD, but honestly this company has had me baffled in recent years. Not sure what they are trying to do...
I guess the underlined part is highly dependent on two things: the actual price paid and the opinion of the player.

From what I understand, these guitars are made in one of the "good" Korean factories in which fairly high quality PRS, BC Rick, Schecter, etc. guitars are built. I expect that the quality of these D'Angelico's should be on par with those brands. I think of it as mid tier. Not a USA Gibson or PRS, but also not a made in China thing.

At their list prices, these are a no go for me. For $1500 or so, you can buy a new Korean made PRS SE Hollowbody II. That's a pretty cool semi-hollow guitar in a nice finish with decent electronics. The PRS SE line are pretty nice mid range guitars. I wouldn't pay a couple hundred more for a D'Angelico. $1800 is too much. I agree with Dr. Bob! But $800 for their Excel DC or SS series seems pretty good. I guess Epiphone 335 models are cheaper than that. But IMO, every one of those I've seen/played has been a complete dud. If the D'Angelico semi-hollows are in line with the PRS SEs, they are killer at $800. If not, Reverb and Ebay are a few clicks away.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
It’s a good one. For me, dIfferent enough from the Super Crunch Box. I preferred both over the Purple Plexi, which, while good one as well, was just not quite as versatile.

I know I'm making a lot of back to back posts. But I have to mention how perfect this pedalboard picture is. It fills the entire screen. Has really good resolution/focus. You can see every single pedal. Well done. They should all be exactly like this.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
That was a good deal for Excels. I've owned 2? I think. Both bought on similar SDOTD things and eventually sold. From an arbitrage point of view, you can't lose. Drop it on Reverb with enough cushion to pay the tax and shipping and you should be able to break even if you don't love it. My problem with the Excels is that they just felt "boxy". For some reason the Deluxe 175 with the Filtertron like pickups just feels more organic/responsive. But yeah, at list price, they're completely hopeless, at $1000 off, not bad.
From what I gather, all three of their main lines are made in the same factory in Korea. But the distinction between the three lines is kind of curious. You can use their SS model as a general basis for comparison:
- Premier is their entry level with some basic features (e.g., cheaper pickups, less switching options, chrome hardware, ovankol fretboard, etc.). SS version lists for $799
- Excel line upgrades a few things (e.g., USA Duncans, push-pulls, gold hardware, pau ferro fretboard, etc.) and includes a hard case instead of gig bag. The SS version jumps all the way up to $1799.
- Deluxe line are kind of marketed as "limited editions" and typically come in limited colors, but have a few other upgrades (e.g., different pickups, ebony fretboards, etc.). SS version lists for $1999.

IMO, the $1000 jump from Premier to Excel is kind of crazy. It's a steep climb for the listed upgrades on basically the same guitar made in the same factory by the same people. I guess the case is nice, but I'm not seeing the rest of that $1000. The Deluxe line going up $200 more for a cool color, arguably better (or just different) pickups and an ebony board seems okay, I guess.

All that said, I have to admit that the Deluxe 175 with Filtertrons is definitely the most desirable guitar I can see on their website. Not at $2k. But I'd gladly pay the $1k discount for that over the Gretsch import equivalent. But their pricing does kind of highlight @drbob1 's point. These things are competing in the same market as the lower end, $1k, Gretsch 6120 guitars, not the high end $3k versions. Or at least I think so. Then again, it brings up another question. Why is the "better" import Gretsch 6120 listed at $3k. Maybe it should be priced comparatively with the $2k D'Angelico.

Last edited:

J-PPP

I know I'm making a lot of back to back posts. But I have to mention how perfect this pedalboard picture is. It fills the entire screen. Has really good resolution/focus. You can see every single pedal. Well done. They should all be exactly like this.
Hey thanks! I used an iPhone so nothing special there, and had good light from a window next to it. I believe it was taken quite a bit further above, and then cropped. I tried to match the perspective of this pedalplayground mockup I had made earlier.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Platinum Supporting Member
I know this is not the amp forum but you guys are my people.

I decided to check the bias on my brand new 5150 III stealth 50watt head.
I was loving how it sounded but started to notice a few things kinda out sounding.

I checked the bias and it was at 49 mv.

seems way high for 6l6s. So I brought it down to 33.3. A lucky number of mine and right above where the 30 mv setting recommended.
Some say 30 mv is cold but some say with an amp this high gain it needs to be a bit cold since it is so high gain.

well it does sound better at the lower setting and I am sure the tubes will last a bit longer.

Any thoughts?

Superstick

Silver Supporting Member

I was loving how it sounded but started to notice a few things kinda out sounding.

seems way high for 6l6s. So I brought it down to 33.3. A lucky number of mine and right above where the 30 mv setting recommended.
Some say 30 mv is cold but some say with an amp this high gain it needs to be a bit cold since it is so high gain.

well it does sound better at the lower setting and I am sure the tubes will last a bit longer.

Any thoughts?
My thoughts are that your posts on this amp are the personification of honeymoon phase!! :D
We are all crazy!! Greatest piece of gear EVER. Until I change it to make it more better!!

I'm just kidding. Enjoy

Oinkus

I pretty much always go with the middle of the settings range if it is up to me. Also really depends on what cab/speakers you are playing it through. Then again I have used tubes that were 50 years old (original set in amp) without any problems too. Only thing that is important is if it sounds good and you like it. My amp sounds better with 5881s instead of 6l6s too.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
My thoughts are that your posts on this amp are the personification of honeymoon phase!! :D
We are all crazy!! Greatest piece of gear EVER. Until I change it to make it more better!!

I'm just kidding. Enjoy
you are not wrong by a mile man. It was sounding great because it was the first of its kind for me then I started listening with my ears instead of my want or wallet. Sounds even better when I started to step back.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Since it's primarily a clean power amp with the tone and distortion shaped in the pre, I think biasing a bit cool makes a lot of sense. In essence, you want to get the most clean power you can without distortion. Pushing the bias up means that on the positive swing it hits plate voltage and flattens the sine wave. Too cold and it starts to get crossover distortion, which will sound harsh when pushed. So, best advice, start with a comfortable clean (33 sounds great) then push it up or down a little and listen for the sweet spot, which will likely vary with the specific tubes. If you have the ability to measure plate voltage and current, switch the tubes and see how close the match is. For a clean power section, the closer the better.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Agreed next step if it starts sounding any worse. But for right now it’s better than ever and still great.

Jakeboy

I guess the underlined part is highly dependent on two things: the actual price paid and the opinion of the player.

From what I understand, these guitars are made in one of the "good" Korean factories in which fairly high quality PRS, BC Rick, Schecter, etc. guitars are built. I expect that the quality of these D'Angelico's should be on par with those brands. I think of it as mid tier. Not a USA Gibson or PRS, but also not a made in China thing.

At their list prices, these are a no go for me. For $1500 or so, you can buy a new Korean made PRS SE Hollowbody II. That's a pretty cool semi-hollow guitar in a nice finish with decent electronics. The PRS SE line are pretty nice mid range guitars. I wouldn't pay a couple hundred more for a D'Angelico. $1800 is too much. I agree with Dr. Bob! But $800 for their Excel DC or SS series seems pretty good. I guess Epiphone 335 models are cheaper than that. But IMO, every one of those I've seen/played has been a complete dud. If the D'Angelico semi-hollows are in line with the PRS SEs, they are killer at $800. If not, Reverb and Ebay are a few clicks away.
Hell, for that money you can pick up any number of gently used USA made Hamers which are built to custom shop quality. Just sayin’....

Jiminvan

Silver Supporting Member

Any thoughts?
Hot vs cold really depends on plate voltage not just current. My Allen is 420Vdc and I have the 6L6GCs biased around 38mA which is still below the 70% mark for plate dissipation. But I'm getting breakup at the levels I want it so it's good for me.

Trending Topics