• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Lovepedal Hermida SNS Appreciation Thread Part Deux--The Ham Sammich Lives!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
It depends on what you're trying to do. The bigger the mismatch the more second order harmonics you get (depending on how effective the negative feedback loop is) but you also get more hum. With an amp that's mostly preamp gain, I'd go for the best matching possible... OTOH, I have a London Power Session amp with the ability individually bias the tubes with a 6V6 and an EL34-lots of complexity, quite a bit of hum...

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Platinum Supporting Member
Whoa page 5. Not gonna work for me.

I nearly wore myself out lugging the Reeves 4x12 up stairs to the pool room. Gonna be my first time trying the 5150 III into a big cab.
And I found a cool old gem laying among all the pedals on the big studio room floor. D2A47D72-3C02-4AAB-86C7-EF3C8A9B90C2.jpeg C0488B31-58F1-459C-8A94-6843781B08C7.jpeg Ought to cover some good old school Eddie flange quite nice.
That Reeves is built so damn well. Heavy as a tank.

Jakeboy

Troubadour (@theTroubadour) Tweeted:
Get ready to rock with The Dirty Knobs with @MikeCampbellHQ livestream tonight!

They're raising money for @nivassoc & celebrating the release of their debut LP Wreckless Abandon!

Watch the stream starting tonight at 5PM PST through Nov 30th.

RSVP here: https://t.co/rIAqvKpbZm https://t.co/qn8KK9fMnW

Just watched this killer live set. Rough, raw rock and roll with loud guitars, a pounding rhythm section, and great songs. RNR sue as hell ain’t dead.
Enjoy!

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Question for this fine group:

What the heck is the difference between Tobacco Burst and Vintage Sunburst?

I mean the question in the concept of Gibson, for the most part. And yes, I know that Les Pauls were originally offered in one burst: Cherry Sunburst. They all faded differently. So these days, Gibson has a dozen colors aimed at mimicking that fade (Dark burst, light burst, honey burst, lemon burst, blah blah blah!). I'm definitely not talking about any of that.

There are loads of guitars in the Gibson lineup over the years that have been described as "Vintage Sunburst". This goes back ages, even to that 1987 catalog that I stared at before bed back in the day! Acoustics, L5, ES models, etc. They have been calling that dark (is it even brown or black???) color "Vintage Sunburst" for decades. My guess is they must have called it something else when archtops originally left the factory in the 1940s. But I digress...

Despite so many guitars being called Vintage Sunburst, there are others called Tobacco Sunburst. In my estimation, I've actually heard/read more people use that term when describing a guitar vs actual manufacturer ad copy. So what is Tobacco Burst? How is it different from Vintage Burst?

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW, for my question above, I have poked around the net a bit. I've seen loads of responses. Some claim that Vintage burst has both a black outer an brown inner edge. Some claim Tobacco only has the brown. No idea if that's true. I've also seen some people claim that one of the colors has a red component, while the other doesn't. NOt sure which is which. But for every discussion forum or article I've found, there seems to be pictures that counter what is written.

My proposal to the question is this. Both have a yellow middle, but:
1) Tobacco has a brown edge
2) Vintage burst has either a black edge or black and brown edge

So the big difference would be tobacco only has that brown edge, and no presence of black. Any hints of red are just the brown and yellow colors mingling. Could that be right?

Last edited:

LordThurisaz

Troubadour (@theTroubadour) Tweeted:
Get ready to rock with The Dirty Knobs with @MikeCampbellHQ livestream tonight!

They're raising money for @nivassoc & celebrating the release of their debut LP Wreckless Abandon!

Watch the stream starting tonight at 5PM PST through Nov 30th.

RSVP here: https://t.co/rIAqvKpbZm https://t.co/qn8KK9fMnW

Just watched this killer live set. Rough, raw rock and roll with loud guitars, a pounding rhythm section, and great songs. RNR sue as hell ain’t dead.
Enjoy!
I'm sorry, but rock is very much dead. Between heritage tribute acts, endless farewell tours, insane prices, touring far past their prime, and silly gimmicky merchandise, rock is very much a dead horse, metaphorically beaten to a pulp and getting pickpocketed by low talent thieves.

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
Man I'm about done with reverb, even after the price of doing business doubled I have had so many refund requests, I can see why some people don't sell pedals at all

Oinkus

My friend bought a new Gibson Les Paul in the late 70s early 80s at a lower price because it was Tobacco Sunburst. It was mostly shades of green , sort of yellowish in the middle and dark (brown?) edges. Looked nothing like the vintage sunburst. I asked the question in the tobacco sunburst thread and got zero responses. No idea how one color scheme is now considered to be many different ones ? On another note I am wearing my new fancy blue tie dye Analogman T shirt !

Jakeboy

I'm sorry, but rock is very much dead. Between heritage tribute acts, endless farewell tours, insane prices, touring far past their prime, and silly gimmicky merchandise, rock is very much a dead horse, metaphorically beaten to a pulp and getting pickpocketed by low talent thieves.
And we will agree to disagree. While there is no rock radio like I grew up with in the 70s..,and that is a crying shame....the entire music industry is not in a good place....rock and roll remains very much alive...maybe not popular, but alive.
Proof? watch the Dirty Knobs show. Every time @Glass Onion posts about the joy of rocking out with the new amp, he keeps RNR alive. Lots of great music out there if you look hard enough to find it.
In 2016 I saw Springsteen’s The River Tour. I saw the original in December 1980. 4 hours of sweat soaked RNR by a band who believed it mattered and changed lives. Was it as good in 2016? Almost. 3 1/2 hours without a break and almost no talking. count off 1-2-3-4 and start the next song. Same vibe. It mattered. As long as there are rockers throwing down like that whether in a stadium or your local bar, writing and recording because the RNR must come out....it is still alive.

Jiminvan

Silver Supporting Member
My friend bought a new Gibson Les Paul in the late 70s early 80s at a lower price because it was Tobacco Sunburst. It was mostly shades of green , sort of yellowish in the middle and dark (brown?) edges. Looked nothing like the vintage sunburst. I asked the question in the tobacco sunburst thread and got zero responses. No idea how one color scheme is now considered to be many different ones ? On another note I am wearing my new fancy blue tie dye Analogman T shirt !
Not a Gibson answer, but go play with the custom body builder on Warmoth and you can view many different colors of burst. I love that site. Fun rabbit hole until you see the cost of what you've imagined.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
And we will agree to disagree. While there is no rock radio like I grew up with in the 70s..,and that is a crying shame....the entire music industry is not in a good place....rock and roll remains very much alive...maybe not popular, but alive.
Proof? watch the Dirty Knobs show. Every time @Glass Onion posts about the joy of rocking out with the new amp, he keeps RNR alive. Lots of great music out there if you look hard enough to find it.
In 2016 I saw Springsteen’s The River Tour. I saw the original in December 1980. 4 hours of sweat soaked RNR by a band who believed it mattered and changed lives. Was it as good in 2016? Almost. 3 1/2 hours without a break and almost no talking. count off 1-2-3-4 and start the next song. Same vibe. It mattered. As long as there are rockers throwing down like that whether in a stadium or your local bar, writing and recording because the RNR must come out....it is still alive.
that makes me proud and kinda chocked up man. That means a lot. Yeah rock isn’t dead. It may be in a dormant phase but not for those who still love it.
but I know for a fact LordT loves it still. I get his frustration as well.
But BlackBerry Smoke is proof as well that it lives and is still being done well.
I think we have too many mediocre acts getting the attention that great acts are not being recognized for. I can say for certain it is alive and loud here in my life. But I think real country is hard to find as well. I love most genres. If music makes me move and feel I dig it.

rubber band man is a song that makes me smile and my hit move every time I hear the groove. Not even sure what category that fits in.
I keep looking for ,in my playing and in all I hear, anything that makes me feel it.
Good rock is harder to find but it lives.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Home from sheet rocking again and working to try and replace siding that may or may not be made of asbestos. I am lobbying for trashing it all and replacing it. I hope to win. I know I won’t be around when they are cutting that stuff.
After a hard day of manual labor coming home to a beer and a half stack and using the music to recover tells me not only is rock alive it helps to keep me alive and sane.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
So for the report. The 4x12 cab is much darker than the THD 2x12.
Total request in the eq of all channels which is fun. Very tight and thumpy for sure.

Trending Topics