Lovepedal High Power Tweed Twin - hard to control

DJHingapus

Hi All,

I recently got the Lovepedal High Power Tweed Twin pedal and I think it is an absolutely amazing sounding pedal. That is when it is run with guitar volume knob all the way up. Whenever I try to control the gain / volume with the guitar knob there is a drastic effect on the pedal and it goes from full on overdrive to almost no overdrive already with the guitar volume knob at 8. To some extend I could live with this - maybe change the volume pot on the guitar to a linear to get more control - but what also happens is that the tone gets very thin and looses all its character that the HPTT has.

If you have a HPTT or another Lovepedal overdrive - are you also experiencing the above?

Furthermore if fell the HPTT is very picky about what comes before it in the signal chain... do you also experience the same?

Br. Rasmus

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a frequent user of the HPTT. What amp are you using this with and are you setting the amp clean, at the edge of breakup or dirty? I've not had any issue running pedals in front of it. I often boost it with a Timmy in front and that sounds glorious.

Boba7

I believe its based on the Electra distortion (the Les Lius is), and so it's normal that it doesnt react well to the volume knob, or that it's a bit picky about what comes before.

I really like the circuit (I use a dual Lavache from Madbean thats very close to the Les Lius and variations from Lovepedal) but it definitely has some limits.

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
I believe its based on the Electra distortion (the Les Lius is), and so it's normal that it doesnt react well to the volume knob, or that it's a bit picky about what comes before.

I really like the circuit (I use a dual Lavache from Madbean thats very close to the Les Lius and variations from Lovepedal) but it definitely has some limits.
I wouldn't say "doesn't react well" necessarily. Some prefer to use their volume knob to clean up a pedal like the HPTT and find this feature quite desireable. The circuit is unbuffered, so it also makes sense that preceding pedals affect it. I think this is true for most pedals to a certain extent though..

As for the extreme rolloff, where is your gain set on the pedal, OP?

DJHingapus

I'm a frequent user of the HPTT. What amp are you using this with and are you setting the amp clean, at the edge of breakup or dirty? I've not had any issue running pedals in front of it. I often boost it with a Timmy in front and that sounds glorious.
I am running my amp clean with lots of headroom

DJHingapus

It does not effect the issue whether or not I run the pedal with light or heavy overdrive - the sound gets very thin going lower that 7-8 on the volume knob.

I like the feature of cleaning up the overdrive with the volume knob - would just like it to happen more smooth over a wider span of the volume knob.

Seems to be normal with the circuit as far as I can read here... But might try a linear taper in the volume pot instead of a log

DJHingapus

Question more, do you have a smooth roll off of gain / volume when you use it with your guitar volume knob?

DJHingapus

*UPDATE*

I tried to put a buffer before the HPTT (Boss OD-2) and it completely changed the pedal sound + the way it interacts with my volume control on the guitar. The sound now has much more presence ( i can now hear how muffled - dull, the sound was before), and it interacts very smoothly with my guitar volume knob.

I have head about the Lovepedal Eternity needing a buffer after the pedal to not disturb the signal when a pedal afterwards was engaged. It seem to be the opposite with the HPTT - there is no change in sound whether it is a buffered / true bypass pedal coming after it - but it seems to *need* a buffer before in the signal chain.

Anybody experiencing the same / knows what is going on?

Whether or not I use my telecaster or les paul it is the same result

Last edited:

IanJarrold

*UPDATE*

I tried to put a buffer before the HPTT (Boss OD-2) and it completely changed the pedal sound + the way it interacts with my volume control on the guitar. The sound now has much more presence ( i can now hear how muffled - dull, the sound was before), and it interacts very smoothly with my guitar volume knob.

I have head about the Lovepedal Eternity needing a buffer after the pedal to not disturb the signal when a pedal afterwards was engaged. It seem to be the opposite with the HPTT - there is no change in sound whether it is a buffered / true bypass pedal coming after it - but it seems to *need* a buffer before in the signal chain.

Anybody experiencing the same / knows what is going on?

Whether or not I use my telecaster or les paul it is the same result

Yes! I've had the same experience with the HPTT - needs to be fed a buffered signal to sound its best. Buffer that baby up and she sings!

GuitarTo

I recently bought the Lovepedal High Power Tweed Twin. It s ounds very well connected directly to the amp, but does not react very well with the volume pot of my tele.
Then I connected the pedal after the buffer, the control with the volume improved, but the sound became very sharp. It's a shame because the pedal is fine and does not have any noise.
Is it possible to run at 18 volt?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom