Lovepedal Info - Eternity Content...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, May 12, 2006.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I had a thread going on the Birds and Moons forum (Thanks Guys!!) where we had a GREAT discussion going on about the Eternity - which I am very interested in because I have one on order.

Here's a new aspect to explore:

What are the differences between the Eternity, my BB Preamp, and the Tim I also have on order. I suspect that the Tim is more low/mid OD, but the BB might be similar IMO to the E, but since I don't own one yet - I don't know!

2. Seniorspike

Seniorspike Member

Although the E and BB can visit the same neighborhoods, in my opinion they are in different zipcodes, especailly since you can change chips in the E. They stack well together, if you're into that. I sometimes have visitors to my board, but those two are permanent residents... enjoy. Rick

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

Never tried an Eternity, but I have had a Tim and a BB preamp.

The Tim, imo excels at low gain/clean boost stuff, the BB is more of a higher gain pedal, very smooth with a little clean signal blended in, it's great for smooth lead lines (into an already slightly crunchy amp) and especially great for neck pup stuff.

The BB pushed with the Tim would be an awesome combination.

4. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

For me, so far, I've got a ToneBone Classic and a BB, both of which follow the RC. This is my fav so far, as the TB just kills for distortion and the BB is very clean/but compressed and full of sustain at the same time. I've got a Zen and a Mos-4 that are benched, as I can't seem to dial out the mids from those pedals. I would suspect that the E and the BB will compete for the same spot. We'll see.

5. K-man

K-man Member

I've got an E on the way too. I was quoted a week, which is quite a difference from 1 year, 4 months, and 3 months (that's how long I've been waiting for my other pedal orders). Sean rocks!

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

K-man: maybe there is a new batch of E's ready to go in another week. Good news! Maybe I am in that batch as well!!

7. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

got one coming too! Right now I'm running a blackstone appl into my tone bone classic dist, Wonder which one of those has to go? I can't see having three overdrive pedals on the board.

8. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Have you not been informed that 3 is mandatory for TGP membership? ;)

9. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Three is mandatory for membership - why is that number so low??...

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Any other Eternity/BB Preamp comparisons?

11. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

3 overdrives? With 2 on order, Im getting there... :jo

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I probably have 7 or 8 OD's right now. Once I get my E and Tim, I'll do a compare and *hopefully* move on. I like to futz with gear, 'cause like all of us I LOVE great tone, but I don't like loosing playing time to gear time.

On the flip side, I might just keep some of this stuff, as a Zen, Mos, Donner HellBilly and some others have a certain collectability, and I might in time regret selling this stuff off.

13. jero

jero Member

I have both the Tim and the Eternity. Where I consider the Tim mainly a cleanboost or a bit grainy low gain overdrive, the Eternity is much more an overdrive/distortion, smoother, more gain, more volume, more mid content.

14. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

No Tim experience but my ears hear all the Xotic pedals to posses an articulate clarity that sounds very hi-fi. They are great pedals; very transparent but they tag on something that isn't as amp like as the Eternity. The Eternity is a multifarious gem pedal. I'm not knocking the BB Preamp because I think it's a super pedal and a very cool cleanish/phat booster - something that is not the Eternity's strongest quality. I can see how both pedals can exist together quite well. I prefer the Hotcake & the Eternity.

15. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Ok...Tim would be low/mid gain. Etern is sort of the jack of all trades...can clean boost well, although not like the RC Booster and it can get right up there in the gain stakes depending on op amps chosen, that's where this one shines. The BB is an out and out gain/distortion pedal. Despite the hype of it being transparent...once you hit the gain knob it's good bye mids. You cannot successfully use it as a clean boost. It's a soft distortion pedal and incidently if gain's your bag...get a MI Crunch Box.
    IMHO

16. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Stressfest (and others!). I agree that the BB is not a clean boost and is definately a "soft distortion". I think the transparency I hear in the BB is what sounds like the clean/original signal being blended back in with the gainy signal. The BB is the only pedal I've used that can get into distortion territory without hi-jacking all of my original tone.

Re: the Crunchbox, I was one of the very earliest Crunchbox owners, and it's low-mid/lower-mud quality (for my rig) was completely unacceptable. It lasted about a week with me trying it every which-way. No dice for me.

I can dial-up pretty good gain with my ToneBone Claissic, which made it back onto my board after a year on the bench. I am looking forward to trying out the E just to see what type of mid/higher gain character it has. I've got an RC for the clean boost thing - it's amazing at that IMO.