Lovepedal Karl Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thebot, Jun 4, 2006.

1. thebot

thebot Member

Just wanted to say how much I'm totally loving the Karl. It's a mean old fuzz but not at all ever at the point of being noise, notes ring through brilliantly. Excellent ring-modish tones, cutting fuzz and still tuneful. Just had a superb half hour just messing about with scales and was having great fun - fun with scales - what's going on???

The voicing on this thing is superb as well - easy to get a good tone, but a little messing with the 'intense' control and you hit the sweet spots and then the smiling starts. Just immense fun with none of the usual fuzz downsides (loss of tone, loss of bass etc).

2. JayDA

JayDA Member

Yeah, I loved the first one I had so much I ordered one of the new ones with an LED and and power jack. I like it with the intense control set a little below halfway, and the volume set for a slight boost I'm amazed at how good it sounds into a clean amp, although it sounds even better when the base tone has a little hair on it.

3. cander328

cander328 Member

I have the blue Karl (non LED and non AC) and also had the newer one and can say that the non LED/non AC adapted version is so much more quiet and the notes seem to bloom so much more. I also felt the tone on the battery powered version was alot less harsh. That said they are both great fuzz pedals. I recently received one of Sean's White Dragon Pedals and will be taking that through it's paces shortly.

4. basscracker

basscracker Guest

were you using the AC one with a PSU or batteries?

5. matte

matte Senior Member

got a 3 knob led/ac joint. it's in my switching system. amazing pedal (like all sean's children).

6. cander328

cander328 Member

Interestingly enough I just got this message from Sean on my led/ac adapter version Karl Fuzz. Seems it was a faulty unit. I think I will try it again.

"There was a prob it took me awhile to figure it out but the input stage was wired wrong causing the nastiness and noise.. It did indeed sound horrible I cant believe i miised it.. :(

sean.."

7. RickB

RickB Member

I just got a Karl with LED and AC tap last week from Sean. The thing is scary good. It surpassed all expectations I had set for this pedal. But then again, all of my Lovepedals have surpassed expectations! I have run it on batteries and now on the AC tap and it actually sounds better to me on the tap! Here are a couple of quick rough clips I did when I got it.

http://www.rickbellitti.com/karl1.mp3

http://www.rickbellitti.com/karl2.mp3

8. Seegs

Seegs Member

since I'm usually late to the party I thought I'd dig up this thread...just ordered a Karl...the one pictured on the site...I heard a buddies awhile back but didn't need a fuzz then...but remember liking it a lot...and now I want one to run with my recently acquired Octron...

the clips out now are fantastic...

wondering if there are different versions though?

read the reviews @ HC and they talked about a Josh Smith model and now I read that there is a three knobber...

can anyone shed some light on the different versions (if they exist) and what is the third knob for?

Thanx in advance!

Chow,
    Seegs

9. muddy

muddy Member

the 3rd knob on the original units were for tuning the bias. in the end, i think the bias pot, though somewhat useful, was kinda unnecessary as far as plug & play goes. it's such a good fuzz, you really just wanna spend the time PLAYING it!

ml

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

Muddy...thanx as usual for the info/insights...this one has me excited! The clips are stellar....

Chow,
    Seegs

11. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Seegs, I got the new Karl. It's got the volume and intensity so the gain seems to be preset, but it's right where you want it.

I disagree with Muddy that the intensity is unnecessary though. I dialed it down low, like 9:00 and the ring mod effect is greatly decreased. In this setting you can use it like a normal fuzz and play chords with. Then, if you crank up the intensity, the ring mod effect gets stronger, almost like a octave fuzz. Picking dynamics are wild with this one too.

12. Em3m3

Em3m3 Gold Supporting Member

Oh man I want one! Great clips RickB. :AOK

13. slingshotmb

slingshotmb Member

cmon email (waiting for one of these also).

14. Seegs

Seegs Member

Phil thanx...that sounds wild I can't wait...I just an email that mine has been on the road since Monday...

does yours have the internal bias setting or is that what you meant be preset gain?

Chow,
    Seegs

15. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I haven't opened it to see if there's an internal trimmer and I didn't get any instructions with my pedals. You may be right.

16. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Sorry for the ignorant question here but is the Karl a "octavia" type pedal or more of just a fuzz? Can you get a pronounced upper octave? Thanks!

17. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

does it clean up well when you turn down the guitar vol ?

18. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Yes. After owning a bunch, this might be my favorite Lovepedal.

19. muddy

muddy Member

that's not at all what i said; i said the original BIAS pot wasn't really necessary! obviously sean agreed, as it was quickly dropped externally from the face of the ped. c'mon, no intensity?? that'd just be plain stoo-pit!

ml

20. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Well, f'in' a sorry, Michael! I'm sure you were wrong about something different at some other point somewhere else... ;)