Lovepedal Vintage 1/2 Watt amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by atomheartmother, Nov 28, 2005.

1. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

Anyone play one of these? The clips for this sound fantastic. I'm just blown away that a little solid state pedal could sound so good...which makes me a bit wary. Also, how much distortion are we looking at? I need something that sounds good and not just a gimmick. I need something that I can really crank in my apartment and sound good. My Kalamazoo is too loud, and I don't think that I can swing the $400+ for the Zvex Nano Head or the Bumbox Lead 1.

http://www.lovepedal.com/lovesquarebass.htm

2. bullet69

bullet69 Member

they are for real you will not regret buying them.

3. atomheartmother

Could you give me more info? Have you played one? What makes them so good?

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You doing anything Tuesday? I'm thinking of taking a road trip to Dave's because he's got an E Pro and a Fuchs with original cabs so I can try them side by side. I could bring along the 1/2. It'd make a great combo with the Kalamazoo-use it for clean and the 1/2 watt for its sweet distortion.

5. atomheartmother

I'll let you know. It depends on when you'll be there. Tuesdays can be pretty tight (well, everyday actually, expect weekends).

6. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

I have the Vintage - I love it! I have a couple clips I might post - I ain't no Gainster, D Torn OR Al Carmichael, but these things are so fun, and I LOVE the tone I am gettin' through a 4x10 cab.
    Believe it - the Lovepedal 1/2 watt doesn't kill - it loves!

BTW, mine loves all my pedals, (overdrives, chorus) but hates my Line 6 Echo Park - toally unusable. Don't care, though... I actually use a pedal occasionally to LOWER the volume of the 1/2 watt - works great.

7. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I'm a self-confessed tube junkie, and I love my Lovepedal 1/2 Watt Vintage! It can clean up well (that is, cleaner - it doesn't really have a clean clean) as you lower your guitar volume, and the breakup can be very musical. Set the single knob, which simultaneously controls the tone, breakup level, and volume, to a point that best suits your guitar and taste, and you'll find that you're off playing and grinning before you know it.

Keep in mind that it really is different from the usual higher-wattage amp: it can be louder than what you expect (depending on your speaker(s)), but there isn't any substantial clear low-end punch. Speaking of speakers, they can significantly alter the response you experience from this amp, so choose accordingly.

My favorite aspect of this amp is that you can play through a speaker cabinet, without any visible means of power. Just stash the lil' 1/2W inside the cabinet, and you can play anywhere. Loads of fun!

Oh yes, Sean (who makes them) is a great communicator, with a fine sense of humor.

- T

8. atomheartmother

Does anyone know if you can purchase these 1/2 watt Love Pedals anywhere other than directly from lovepedal.com?

I was thinking about asking for this for Christmas, but my girlfriend doesn't have Paypal (which is apparently what they take as payment).

9. Timbre Wolf

That sounds like a perfect seasonal gift, and just the right size for a stocking! Why don't you just email Sean from the site. I'm sure he'll work out some feasible method of payment.

I don't believe they're being sold anywhere else, as I don't believe its a high-volume business (yet). But Sean will clarify that. Maybe he'll post on that here (hint).

- T

10. atomheartmother

Is there a wait (build time) on these? How long?

11. bullet69

bullet69 Member

it took about a week to get mine. dude you will be amazed how good these sound . sean has really nailed it with these.

12. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

13. Timbre Wolf

Nice and growly - I was surprised to see that you used a "Strat" to generate that. Sounds great.

I wonder if you could elaborate on what you mean by "greasy?" Its one of those terms that still eludes my ability to articulate consciously (kind of like "warm," but I think "greasy" may be more consistently applied). Thanks.

- T

14. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

Well, I was using the term in a more generic sense, meaning "dirt," though I think some would take exception with that in reference to the tone I was describing. I think the argument would be that greasy tone isn't as dry/growly but more wet/nasty. That being said - tone, like language, has a rather large subjective element to it! :D

15. Timbre Wolf

Sounds like my idea of fun on a Saturday night!

Yup. I love hearing other people's subjective descriptions, though. Guess you could call me a trans-personal solipsist!

- T

16. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

I hope you know that use of the phrase "trans-personal solipsist" is restricted to within a 1/2 mile radius of downtown Berkeley.
    ;) :p

17. atomheartmother

OK so I ordered one. Hopefully it'll arrive before Christmas.

Anyway, you use a speaker cable to connect the pedal to the cab correct? And any cab will work (and any impedance speaker...I have an 8 ohm 1x12)?

Any recommendations on speaker cables? I've been using some cheap $10 one off the wall at Dave's. Are there higher quality ones in the $20-40 range that will maximize the tone of the pedal? Also, would cable length something to consider? Would I get a different tone using a 2' cable versus a 6' cable?

18. Timbre Wolf

Berkeley was named after the philosopher, Bishop Berkeley, who was enchanted with the relationship between esse est percipere (to be is to perceive), and esse est percipi (to be is to be perceived). Sounds like there's some trans-personal solipsism in there somewhere, so I guess I'm in the right town.:cool:

But we digress...
    Yes, on both counts. I also use mine with a 1x12 8ohm cab. Actually, my Boogie widebody 1x12s have a parallel out, so I've used the two of them simultaneously with the 1/2w, and it works great. I prefer the lows from the Weber Silver Bell cab over the Weber Blue Dog (both 30w.).

I don't have speaker cable recommendations, though. I use Monster, but others may be more opinionated.

Let us know how you like this lil' gem.

- T

19. MAGICboy

MAGICboy Supporting Member

super cool throaty tone there.. I love the clips.. :)

vintage ivory .5 watt :)

[​IMG]

20. Timbre Wolf

Aww, man! I've already got mine, and now you come out with the ivory...

Lookin' good, Sean.

- T