Lovetone big cheese circuit?

pacomc79

yay thanks. that is such great information! wow, my mind has really been opened.
http://www.lovetone.com/cheese.html

I remember Wilco used to use them. I think Jeff Tweedy anyway.

I don't think its what you would think of as a muff style fuzz, there are probably better routes to go if you want to go that way. They have been out of production for so long, I think this one did the gated stuff, so maybe look at the Zvex Fuzz Factory as more of a sonic brother than the Big Muff.

There are quite a few Fuzzrite clones around too. It's been years since I heard anything about Lovetone.

chrisjnyc

I had one a while back, not really a muff type sound... more like an old school rat crossed with fuzz

ChargerSG

I agree with Pacomc79 and Chrisjnyc!

I've played through something similar - apparently its based on RG Keens Great Cheddar but with the last op amp section modded for more gain, as it was around unity stock.

It's a fuzzface wrapped with an Op amp input stage and an Op amp output gain stage. It has rat style hard clipping that is more assymetrical which means it will have a little more compression in the hard clipping than a typical FF. I think this can sound nice if your looking for something different. It also has Big Muff tone control with switchable EQ settings.

I think this is more for the person who wants a smooth compressed Fuzz Face with the occasional Big Muff sound vs. the person who wants a Big Muff sound and then a Fuzz Face sometimes.

It will give you the gain either way, but the circuit uses two transistors with hard clipping, vs. a BM with (4) cascaded stages and soft clipping

whatdisay

Platinum Supporting Member
I have the chunky cheese clone and love it. Can get crunchy fuzz, scooped, or the great gated, sputtery mode. I can't stand smooth fuzzes so this fits me great

strombie

Eric Earley from Blitzen Trapper uses one of these in the studio. I was talking with him at a show this summer about it. He uses it on a few tracks on their last album, "VII". Really nasty sputtery, gated stuff, sounds awesome on the album.

Hylophone

I agree with Pacomc79 and Chrisjnyc!

I've played through something similar - apparently its based on RG Keens Great Cheddar but with the last op amp section modded for more gain, as it was around unity stock.

It's a fuzzface wrapped with an Op amp input stage and an Op amp output gain stage. It has rat style hard clipping that is more assymetrical which means it will have a little more compression in the hard clipping than a typical FF. I think this can sound nice if your looking for something different. It also has Big Muff tone control with switchable EQ settings.

I think this is more for the person who wants a smooth compressed Fuzz Face with the occasional Big Muff sound vs. the person who wants a Big Muff sound and then a Fuzz Face sometimes.

It will give you the gain either way, but the circuit uses two transistors with hard clipping, vs. a BM with (4) cascaded stages and soft clipping

woah dude. good info. thanks!

starfish

As far as fuzzes go, I could never bond with the BC. Lovetone was a fine choice 15 years ago. There are just so many alternatives today. I was lucky I bought mine for $200 plus change and sold it for $950 at the height of the Lovetone market craze... Or are they going for more than that now?

ChargerSG

Of course Hylophone!

And thanks 0xeneye! It is cool. I think it has a unique touch and compression. Also a slight amp like quality that is found in C5

Trending Topics