Lovetone Brown Source?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jnco, Mar 4, 2008.

1. jnco

jnco Member

what are everyone's thought on this pedal? I have one coming in from a trade, and just wondering what to expect.

i did a search and a lot of references to Keef came up. :D

2. jnco

jnco Member

3. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I think there is a sound clip on Tonefrenzy.com. I assume it's like Brown Sound In A Box pedal.:)

4. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

I’ve owned one for years, and they sound like no there pedal on the market. The trick is leaning how to use it. When you first activate it you get the felling is have no drive or balls, but once you understand how it works it’s fantastic. It’s not like most pedal where you just crank them into a clean amp. The Brown Source is a true "overdrive" pedals meant to push or overdrive a slightly over driven amp into beautiful sweet crunch, or cranked amp into thick brown overdrive. Most overdrive pedals are really distortion pedals and sound crappy when used with an amp that’s already slightly driven.

It’s meant to get those cool 60-70 classic rock Marshall tones, and sounds best with a non master volume amp, especially old non master Marshalls. The tone controls can dial in tones that range from JTM 45's, JMP 50's, and late 70's Marshalls. With the wrong rig, the drive can sound a little buzzy, but with the right amps it’s a killer sounding pedal. It also has a unique tone when used inline with a wah pedal.

5. jnco

jnco Member

hmm interesting, well i'll be trying it with a bandmaster reverb....i guess we will see how it does....clips sound nice. :)

6. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

It will sound great with the Bandmaster as long as it's breaking up a little. It can do the Keef thing as well.

7. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

I haven't played an original, but I've built a clone and if it sounds like it's supposed to than I agree that it's very dull with a clean amp. it has very little drive of it's own and really needs an already overdriven amp to shine. It also sounds best with humbuckers imo. There really isn't anything else just like it but there's really a lot of things that sound just as good for a lot cheaper.