Lovetone Meatball - should I stay or should I go?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by timmerel, Apr 20, 2008.

1. timmerel

timmerel Member

I bought one of the last ones made back when it was new, but while it makes a lot of weird and wonderful noises I've never really gotten any sounds I've used. Consequently only mucked about with it at home instead of gigging or recording with it.

Does anybody have any great settings (for use with bass or guitar), before I decide to pass it on?

2. Flaser_Phanger

Flaser_Phanger Member

I fiddled around with it quite a while, it's really not a very easy unit to control, but it is doable... ;)

I think the Meatball reacts best with Sens. at max and Attack at min. (this is IMO the most important setting to attain a snappy and funky envelope following effect). Decay at around noon, Color and Intensity close to max. Blend at the star (I think this gives a really nice balance). Trigger UP, and Full or 1/2, Filter settings depending on how much high end or how whacky sounds I want. This will give a more or less "traditional" type envelope filter response, but way snappier and faster than most other units out there. Then if you mix some delay or distortion into the effects loop of the Meatball, a whole new world of tones opens up....

Nevertheless, although it is a wonderful unit and you can get all kinds of weird sounds from it, I know exactly how you feel - It has way too many knobs and options if you're just after a basic, easily usable envelope follower sound. I too have been temped of selling the Meatball, especially considering the price they usually go for... ;)

3. timmerel

timmerel Member

Thanks for the tip - will try.

What do they usually go for if I decide to sell it on?

4. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Between 450 and 700 on ebay, depending on condition and whether you've got the original box and paperwork.

5. timmerel

timmerel Member

Thanks - will experiment with the suggestion and then decide.

Mine's hardly used with all the box, instructions etc, so guess that would put it towards the top end if I pass it on.

6. StompboxMan

StompboxMan Member

Keep it! It can be a wah wah with an expression pedal. You can turn off the Trigger and use it as a Filter to do all kinds of Filter sweeps of a dirt pedal in the Loop with an expression pedal. Also with the Trigger off and any pedal in the Loop you can use the Blend to bring just the right amount of clean guitar with the pedal in the Loop. All that and so many great auto wah sound it's a keeper.

7. timmerel

timmerel Member

I'm already set on the wah front, but the filtering without the trigger is an interesting idea.

Will experiment.

8. timmerel

timmerel Member

Thank you Flaser Phanger, now I get it!

Will definitely be keeping the Meatball, as it does wonders for bass with your settings as a starting point.