Lovin' the Durham Sexdrive.......

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shallbe, Sep 9, 2005.

1. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I just got this pedal from another forum member this week.

I love a great boost pedal. Most of my amps have a sound I'm not looking to change much, just give a goose to occasionally. I've owned or own The Germ (prototype and production), vintage MXR Micro amp, handwired Time Machine Boost, Klon, Red Llama, etc.

This one is really different and is exactly what I was looking for. It retains the sound of your amp, just makes it louder and bigger. Big and fat, with a sweet and dynamic top end. It is not an overdrive box, but will seriously push your amp in volume if needed.

Controls are gain, level and tone, with a 3-position compressor switch that is unique. The tone control is voiced nicely and a welcome addition IF you want to tame some top end off the additional volume.

The compressor part of the Sexdrive is what I love. It offers soft, hard and no compression (the hard compression is a misnomer---not gated at all). All the settings do is change the FEEL of the boost, not the tone. It sounds and feels great in all three positions, but I REALLY like the soft setting. It makes a great sounding amp just louder and sweeter. My Connie needs no gain pedals----but the Sexdrive and the Connie are incredible together. With the amp set nearly clean, the Sexdrive pushes it into this endless clean sustain that then goes up an octave or two. Wow. Unlocking more goodies inside the amp.

This pedal is a keeper. It sounds great, but FEELS even better--an area where many boost pedals have fallen short, IMO.

Velcro has been attached, space has been made on the board. :D

2. texzy

texzy Member

Hi Steve, I was hoping it made it to you.
    it's my favorite.
    If you get a chance try it with an RC Boost or ....
    Kevin

3. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Great pedals aren't they? It truly is the most neutral pedal of any that I've ever tried. The Mucho Boosto is tres cool too!!! :D

4. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Does anybody else have any opinions on the Sexdrive? I really want to buy one and I'm almost their, but I would like to hear some more reviews..

Shane Pasqualla

5. DamianP

DamianP Member

Used mine in anger for the first time last night.

I agree with everything shallbe says. It`s a great device.

,Damian.

6. Birdseye

Birdseye Silver Supporting Member

I have one and love it. I often keep it on all the time at gigs just to liven up the tone a bit. Generally, I don't really get much use for OD or boost pedals but this just has that great feel. It just seems to make the guitar cut through the mix better across the range. I just use it for that tone it gets; I'm not really even setting it for a boost at all, just for a tonal enhancement.

7. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I wonder if there is any sound clips anyware besides that one clip of the guy playing country licks? Anybody know of any.

8. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Well guys just got my new Sexdrive, and it is everything I've ever wanted in a clean boost.. It is so good, that you don't have to fiddle around to get a good sound.. I also have the Burriss Boostier coming.. But I'm already liking this better than my Klon as a clean boost..And it is very transparent..At first with the volume down on the pedal you could hardly tell the pedal was on... This is one of those pedals that feels good when you kick it on, and makes you play better.. AWSOME!!!!

9. Birdseye

Hey 58...you use it with a Les Paul? Humbuckers? Just curious, as I've only used mine with single coils. Guess I've assumed humbuckers would not need a boost as they are more powerful, but it would be interesting if you're getting something more, tonewise, out of 'buckers with the SD.

10. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

It's crazy, but I do use HB's, and the SD just makes everything sound better in every way.. Brings out the little things that get lost someware.. This is one amazing pedal, I do like it better than my Klon as a clean boost, and thats all I wanted.. I think the SD will make any pickup configuration sound better..

11. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Guys this pedal really sounds great.. And it is a perfect combo with my PTP Red Snapper, I've been running the RS into the Sexdrive, into the amp set very clean.. This tone is out of this world.. Another thing about the Sexdrive is that is has no noise what so ever, even when the gain is up all the way, there is no noise.. The quietest pedal I have ever played through..

12. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

can the sexdrive really equal the klon as far as its clean boost is concerned? can it get the same fullness as well as sparkle that the klon can get? the sex drive is definitely cheaper and if i can get the same clean boost out of the sex drive that i can get from the klon that i'm sold on it.

i had a klon a while back but had to sell it because i needed the money. i loved the clean boost but i really don't like spending up to $350 just for a boost. but i think the clean boost it gives is unrivaled.

13. Birdseye

I have both the SD and the Klon. I like the SD better for clean boost, but if you are crazy about the Klon's voice the SD won't be the same. They are voiced differently. If anything, the SD might be considered more transparent. The Klon adds a solid punch to the mids that you don't get with the SD. The Klon does sort of disappear into the amp voice when using it to boost an amp that's already starting to overdrive a bit. That's where it really shines. The SD is great to set for no gain and even no volume boost and just leave on all night. Like 58LP said, it just kind of brings out the details that might get lost in your playing, allows you to do and hear subtle things that might otherwise not come out through the amp. I think it adds clarity and makes things just stand out a bit. Just a great pedal, but not the same as a Klon. Still...it could replace the Klon if you really just want a boost for the output of your guitar and are not absolutely stuck on the voice of the Klon, as the SD has a great voice of its own.

14. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

thanks for the input. i really only like the klon for its clean boost. so i'll have to give the sex drive a try when i get some extra dough.

15. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

You said that very well.. I've been playing this thing all day and it's so cool.. Guys, if you want the Sexdrive to sound like the Klon, put the toggle switch in the middle position, then you also have a hard and soft (Which is my Favorite) setting for compression... It's like this, you have your guitar and amp and things sound good but there is something that seems a little not their, then you click this pedal on and it recovers your signal and also recovers you pickups to make the combo sound like it's supposed to sound.. This is a pedal you leave on all night and never turn it off.. Thanks to Alen Durham for creating a woderful pedal.. Now I am still waiting on my Burriss Boostier to come in the mail, so I'll have to let you guys know how this pedal sounds.. Because the Burriss is the pedal that everyone says the clean boost sound more like the Klon than anything else.. And it run internally on 18 volts like the Klon..

16. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

The closest thing to the Klon clean I ever found was the BJF Baby Pink Booster- its discontinued now but they pop up used sometimes......

the Closest thing to the SD is the Texas Two Step with the drive down - swap in a tl072 or 82 chip and 'ding'....plus you still get the drive section when you turn it up ........;)

17. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I want to try one of the Texas Two steps really bad.. (Donner) Have you ever tried the Burris Boostier?? I just got done playing the Sexdrive some more with the Volume up on the amp, and this things does have that quality of the Klon's clean boost, but I am really lovin the SD alot.. It makes everything sound so sweet, and I sware it makes me sound better...I love the SexDrive!! I cant quit playing the damb thing..

18. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

oh yeah the SD is a great pedal... its that natural compression that fills in the gaps that is so tasty - and thats what a drive does to, compression...... thats also what a cooking amp does and pushed speakers also add compression...... lovely stuff!!

19. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

You said that right.. If you play blues or jazzy stuff, I think this is the pedal to own.. It sounds so natural, like the amp, and it is dead quiet.. Whats the Moocho Boosto like?

20. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

Fantastic with humbuckers, but a bit too bright with single coils...even with the tone at min.