Loving the Octaswitch!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by celestion101, May 4, 2008.

1. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

This is the ultimate blend of my recent GCX rig and a conventional pedal board. I love the pedals out front but was burned out on tap dancing. Here is the $340 answer! No pops, delays, or any performance issues whatsoever. This is sitting in front of my 65 Royal Albert rig (except this is a 2x10 loaner cab...I have a matching 2x12 for the heads one off color combo). Back to the unit....it's a must have! :dude

[​IMG]

2. celestion101

Buimp for the morning crowd!

3. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

4. Dave

Dave Member

Very cool. I have a WOBO Proglooper, which works the same way, but only has 4 loops and 6 switches. I think I'm going to have to check one of these babies out.

5. mwalker.rock

mwalker.rock Member

hey man, lemme pick your brain about this thing real quick. i've been thinking of getting one. i run the a loopmaster bypass strip right now, and while it works great, i can't run my delays in it because when i click the switch to bring them into the chain, there's a "pop" which delays out. does the octaswitch fix that problem? also is it true bypassing the pedals i'm putting in it? do you power it with the pp2? separate adapter?

thanks dude. this a great idea, and i think it would really work for me. but before i pull $340 trigger, i'd like to know a little more about what i'm getting.

walker

6. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Does this sound better than old Carl Martin Combinator? That one colored sound in unappealing way.

DS

7. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

I use the WOBO Proglooper too. The Octaswitch looks cool with the extra channels but the extra feature of the WOBO's "add" function and the comparative sizes (11"x5.1" for the WOBO and 20"x5.3" for the octa), makes the WOBO the choice that works best for me.

8. celestion101

No sound coloring from what I can tell, and no pops or hisses whatsoever. It works perfect for my needs.

9. guitarlizard

guitarlizard Member

I occasionally get pops when I switch from a high gain setting with delay to a clean setting with delay. but they are only noticeable when no one else is playing.

I love the octaswitch. replaced a GCX/Axess MIDI rack setup. MUCH easier to carry around.

10. celestion101

My highest gain pedal is the Barber which is not muchm and I have the Klon before the Octaswitch (so it will not add to any pops, etc.).

I also had a GCX rig and was constantly opening the rack drawer at gigs to screw with it. I also looked at the GigRig but that thing is 3x's more expensive. I am very happy!

11. celestion101

Just feeding back that I've now used it on two gigs and it's perfect....no probelms whatsoever.

12. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

How many pedals do you have running with the octa?

13. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

Looks like everything but the Noise Suppressor and the TU-2 runs through the Octawhatsits

14. 5150gtrmonkey

5150gtrmonkey Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the comments on the octaswitch. I've been considering getting one and have had the same concerns as some of the other posters, in regards to tone degradation and popping noise.

15. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

Are there that many popping noises? I mean is it manageable in a live setting? Going from Overdrive effects to Clean all at once? Does it cause a pop?

Tone degredation? Now is there any really if you buffer the input and have a buffer after the OCTA running to the amp like a sonic stomp? The youtube video I saw sounded great BTW...check it out. search "octa switch"

16. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Love the idea behind this, but it looks way too big for my meager PT Jr. pedalboard..

17. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Yeah, too bad it's so big. I still want one though, it's a really simple solution to tap dancing. I'll design a board around it if need be. I tried to layout my rig with one on a PT 2, 24" wide and there still wasn't room.

Question - Do you have all of your pedals on all the time when using them with the Octaswitch?

18. Sruli

Sruli Member

I use the combinator and there is no popping or coloring at all.

19. celestion101

Hi Guys.....sorry I was away from the thread for a few days. I have now used the Octaswitch on a number of gigs and can report the following; the simplicity of the unit is hard to beat and no tap dancing is a beautiful thing. I have enjoyed having my focus on playing and not on my pedals. On the down side, there are slight pops that kind of irk me on occasion. They even disclose these on the Carl Martin site, however I am not sure of what "acceptable" is. Don't get me wrong, it's not "bad", but present. I notice it more at my house than anywhere so I'm not sure if this could be related to the power at my house. Secondly, I just switched everything back over to my Pumaboard (running two Pedal Power 2's underneath) and the problem may be in my wiring. All of that said, I am not the first to take notice of the pops. Overall a positive experience but I plan to pursue the pop.........stay tuned!

*UPDATE - I noticed the biggest culprit was in loop 3....my Tube Screamer. It's the RI of the old model that uses a different power supply tip (vs. the standard Boss style 9v). Anyway, now all are the same and the popping seems to be gone. I'll keep you posted.

20. chuenx

chuenx Member

just wondering why loop-master don't make switch like the octaswitch?