Low Compression/No Mid Hump ODs

Hajimemashite

Hi

I'm looking for suggestions for a great Overdrive for use with a PRS Custom 24 with HFS and Vintage pickups into a Hot Rod Deluxe.

I have a modded Tubescreamer to TS-808 specs, but I find that it has way to much of a mid hump, and too much compression. I don't like it at all. Also, I'm not looking for tons of distortion/drive, but having the capability to offer diverse sounds would be a plus.

I'm thinking about:

Barber Direct Drive (love my Tone Press!!)
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Fulltone Fulldrive/OCD

I really don't want to spend a lot, and that's another reason I like the Barber at $125. I'd appreciate suggestions under $195 new.

-Thanks!

Barber LTD SR has the flattest frequency. I had a Silver LTD - it sounded great, but I felt it still added a very, very subtle mid-hump.

HBE Powerscreamer with the diode set at the least compression (I think it's the middle position) would work very well I think. They're about $160 new and much less used.

If you want to wait, the Timmy is only around $100. They're frequently in the Emporium for around $195 - great, uncompressed OD.

i'm currently using a ProAnalog Dual Drive which is quickly becoming my favorite OD in a long, long time. Very uncompressed. You can find them used for about $200. I think Donner has one in the emporium for $200....

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/347618

edit: added thread link

Funnily enough, I used to like very compressed ODs but slowly moved to trying to find the most uncompressed for better note definition....

Good luck.

bluesrules

My Strat loves MI Audio Blues Pro and Lovepedal FAB50 (like COT50)

SilverKiss and newer Howie for any guitar.

Hajimemashite

What's a Timmy? I see there is one in that thread, but it's going for $200, and is Timmy (Tsunami).

Responding favorably to humbuckers is also very key. A lot of pedals that are great on single coils really aren't that great with buckers, imo.

How about the Fulldrive or a Zendrive, or the OCD, Sparkle Drive... Direct Drive?

The Proanalog Dual Drive seems cool. I assume it has two nice and functional channels. Are they significantly different in tone, or does one just kinda put you over the top?

Dave

What's a Timmy? I see there is one in that thread, but it's going for $200, and is Timmy (Tsunami).
It's a very transparent OD built by Paul Cochrane. $200 is the average price for a used one these days.

How about the Fulldrive or a Zendrive, or the OCD, Sparkle Drive... Direct Drive?
None of the above are as transparent as a Timmy IMO. Still great pedals though.

lukeII

"How about the Fulldrive or a Zendrive, or the OCD, Sparkle Drive... Direct Drive?"

Only the OCD doesn't have a mid hump in your list. The Direct Drive has a very slight mid hump.

Timmy is a boutique overdrive a great low drive pedal with flat mids, notr compression and an eq that is really good. They are expensive because of the wait list which is a couple of months long. If you can wait I think the real price is 120 dollars.

Another OD you may want to try or no mid hump, low compression is Menatone Red Snapper, which is superb.

giggedy

Most uncompressed, no mid hump od's I've tried would be Tim, and while there is a slight mid hump, the KOT is up there too. If price is a factor, try to get a Tim or Timmy.

look for an old Bluesbreaker Black OD pedal - low od, not very compressed at all. The Keeley BD2 is good for the no-mid hump thing, there is a bit more compression (not obnoxious but a little) there than in Timmy but the price is a little less. The Timmy/Tim pedals are almost at the head of the low compression class for low to med. Boost/OD's. The Fulltone FD2's have a Compression Cut mode too.

Hajimemashite

The Fulldrive 2 seems to have a wide variety of options, which is something I like to see. I also like the blend of clean on the Sparkle Drive, which is something I love about the Barber Tone Press.

Does anyone have experience with the FD2 as far as the cut switch actually cutting the mid hump and compression?

If the Barber Direct Drive only has a small mid hump, but is low compression, that may be a great option for me, as I said, I'm in love with the Tone Press.

Also what's the difference between a Timmy (katrina) and Timmy (tsunami) finish?

Hajimemashite

So no love for the Direct Drive of the Fulltone FD2?

I need to clarify that I'm not necessarily looking for low gain, just low compression and mid boost. I'd like a pedal that can create more than just one sound. The Direct Drive, Sparkle Drive and FD2 seem to offer controls that can do more than just one sound.

Correct me if I've missed anything about the others.

-Thx

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
For ultimate versatility, get one of those MOSFET FD2s. They sound great and can be compressed/uncompressed, low or high gain.

Well, relatively high gain.

screamingduck

Platinum Supporting Member
The FDII does give you the FM (flat mids) option and also the comp/cut option which of course cuts your compression plus it sells new for $161 so that fits into your price range. The new Mosfet version is nice and I can't decide if I like the Standard or the Mosfet toggle better.
I have an OCD which is very open sounding and can go from Blackface/Tweed Fender tones with the LP (low peak) toggle to more Vox/Marshall tones with the HP (high peak) toggle. The OCD give you a lots of overtones so the signal is very complex which works great for some things and not so great for others. Again it also fits your price range. If I had to live with one or the other I think the FDII would win out by a hair as it is a bit more versatile.
The Timmy is another excellent choice. It is an extremely open and transparent OD that goes from clean boost to mid gain OD and is great for bringing out the best in your amp. In my case it makes my "65 Super Reverb sound like it is on 8 when it is only on 2 or 3. It's only $105 if you are willing to wait 5 or 6 months and fortunately the used prices seem to be falling to around $190. I just got my Timmy a month ago so I am still in the honeymoon stage but it is definitely a keeper and I can't see ever not having this little wonder on my board.
Hope this helps!

screamingduck

Platinum Supporting Member
I just saw you were contemplating between the Sparkle Drive, Direct Drive, and FDII. I've played all three and they are all excellent pedals but without a doubt the FDII is far and away the most versatile of the three.
If you are looking for low compression and/or mid boost the FDII is the best choice of those three with the Sparkle Drive coming in second due to the ability to fold your clean sound back into the dirty which would tend to give you a mid boost with lower compression than normal although for some reason it has never sounded quite "right" to my old tired ears.

tastylicks

Hi

I'm thinking about:

Barber Direct Drive (love my Tone Press!!)
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Fulltone Fulldrive/OCD
In my experience all of those have a significant mid hump. Try out a Menatone Red Snapper. It does cut the lows a bit (like a tube screamer) but no mid hump and very uncompressed. I got mine new for $180 (I think) a year or two ago. Not sure of current price.

poolshark

Silver Supporting Member
Pedalworx Texas Two Step (silver)

It has a toggle for three separate compression levels (med/none/high) and a stomp switch for a midrange boost. Toggled to no compression, gain at 0, it works as an amazing clean boost - that's how transparent it is. Up the gain, and it's the most amp-like overdrive I've ever played. Clean or treble boost before it, and you'll never need another overdrive.

Trending Topics