Low cost humbucker sized P-90s

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Looking to plop some P-90 style pickups in a guitar that currently has humbuckers. Not looking to spend much. Two options seem to be GFS Mean 90s for about $80 a set and Kent Armstrongs for about $90. I'd prefer them to be black if that's possible.

Reviews of the GFS seem to be pretty good for the most part. I can't find much on the Armstrongs. Anything else I should look at? Any reason to avoid either of the models I'm thinking of? Any advantage to plastic vs. metal covers?

stormin1155

Silver Supporting Member
I had a set of Dragonfire H-90s in one of my guitars for awhile. They sounded good. $45 for the set at dragonfireguitars.com. I've heard lots of good things about the Mean 90s.

mrfett

I think a lot of P90s sound pretty good, but there's guy who custom winds them named Bryan Gunsher of BG Pups who makes awesome ones for a lot less than other custom winders. The catch (there has to be one) is that they take two months to get, so they're no good if you need to remedy GAS immediately.

Still, they're awesome, affordable and MUCH better than GFS and other foreign-made brands.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I think a lot of P90s sound pretty good, but there's guy who custom winds them named Bryan Gunsher of BG Pups who makes awesome ones for a lot less than other custom winders. The catch (there has to be one) is that they take two months to get, so they're no good if you need to remedy GAS immediately.

Still, they're awesome, affordable and MUCH better than GFS and other foreign-made brands.
Thanks. At $85 a piece, they're a little more than I want to spend.

thrashmetl

Did a lot of digging on this topic. The general consensus seems to be that the GFS Mean 90's sound the best of the lower priced bunch.

RBfan

I have a Mean 90 in the neck of a Schecter S-1 (cheapo axe that plays great). I love it, almost thinking about another one for the bridge, where I have a Fat Pat. It does make some noise though, with high gain, so if you play with high gain (who on TGP doesn't?) be prepared.

IMHO, good pickup for the money.

T

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I had a couple of members offer me some Phat Cats, so I went with a pair of them.

bluegrif

Silver Supporting Member
I had a couple of members offer me some Phat Cats, so I went with a pair of them.
Problem solved! Phat Cats are very nice. Before I saw this post I was going to suggest looking for a used pair since they typically come in at a reasonable price and are a big step up from the GFS.

Trending Topics