Low Cost Recording?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by elgalad, Apr 27, 2008.

1. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

I'm looking to setup gear for recording ideas at home - nothing fancy, just as a tool for songwriting. I've got a new PC that I can use, but I'm not sure whether it would be more cost-effective to use that or to get a self-contained multi-track recorder.

Any advice you could give me would be great :)

2. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

3. ecvMatt

ecvMatt Member

i started with this
    and this
    bought a el cheapo mic and stand
    downladed Audacity and was recording for less than $100

Of course i have moved up a bit, but this was an excellent way to start out

4. sears

sears Member

ecvMatt's suggestion is excellent and if you don't like recording on computers you're only out a little bit. When I gave computer DAW action a whirl, I found a used Seasound Solo interface on Craigslist.

For the portastudio, the Tascam 788 is "outdated" but 24-bit, 8 tracks and can be had for a hundred or two.

5. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

Thank you for the suggestions, the Behringer/cheap mic/pc option looks like it might be just what I'm after :)

6. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Hi,
    I won't argue against anything said before. Getting into computer recording early on and upgrade later might be a good way of learning. I took the other route and bought a digital all-in-one multitracker (Fostex VF-160) some years ago.

The benefits of a multitracker has for me been: dedicated unit not used for other purposes, starts-up fast, can be shut-down in a second, bug-free and no conflicting software drivers, real knobs and faders, effects are easily applied. The limitations of the machine makes you focus on the music rather than endless possibilities in plug-ins and software.
    This has worked really nice for me for quite a few years. I made a few EP:s on it, used it as a sketchtool etc.

That said: Right now, though still owning the multitracker, I'm looking into a computer setup. Particularly for getting a better way of working with programmed drums.
    For a sketchpad and for field recordings (band rehearsals etc) I've just bought a Zoom H2. Portability and almost zero setup-time is what attracted my attention.

Good luck/C

7. Swain

Swain Member

Check out the BOSS MicroBR. About $225.00.

Good built-in mic, can serve as an Mp3 player, has a built in drum machine, COSM Guitar abd Bass models, Time Stretch for learning songs, and a lot more.

It sounds pretty good! It's easy to use, can run quite awhile on 2 X AA Batteries. You could record shows, band practices, etc.

Plus, it's an easy way to learn some basic recording techniques.

I can't imagine not having one, now that I've had this one for a year or so!