Low cost tube amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Barquentine, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Barquentine

Barquentine Member

I've been looking for a 15/20w tube amp for small gigs and I'm limited to a budget of around $500/600. I'm considering the Marshall DLS20 CR and the Fender Bassbreaker 15 but I'm reading that they are very poorly constructed and prone to failure.

Is this your experience ? Is there anything close to the price that is built better than these amps ?

2. scott58

scott58 Member

Go used. Your options will increase dramatically.

3. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I didn't like either amp. The DSL is prone to some failures and the switching is goofy..not my fave Marshall either. Fender Bassbreaker is def more solid than Marshall, but then again, I'm not a Fender guy.

Are you looking for a clean amp to hit with pedals? 2 channel amp? more info would help.

For newer in your budget, and depending on your needs.... maybe a Blackstar HT20 MKII, Boss Katana 50W (you can run at lower power), used Fender HRD III, used Peavey Classic 30, or if you want serious bang for the buck...Crate Vintage Club 50. Amazing amp.... more watts than you need but amazing clean and marshall dirty in one package. Heavey...but they go for around 250-350. All tube.

ggwwbb likes this.
  4. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Supporting Member

FENDER PRO JUNIOR!!!

DIECHEATO and Daytona57 like this.
  5. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I've had no issues with my Bassbreaker 15.

DIECHEATO, fretless and twisty571 like this.
  6. Barquentine

Barquentine Member

I have a rig for bigger gigs but I need an amp for small, low volume gigs so no need for 30-50 watts. I have a Katana 50 which I detest hence the search for a better amp. I'm leaning towards the Fender because I've liked the demos I've seen.

I only need one sound which is a decent crunch that I can turn down for cleaner sounds and add a boost for more gain.

7. Stephans

Stephans Member

Marshall Origin 20c

8. Les Paul Lover

Les Paul Lover Member

That.

Have you considered the Orange Crush Pro 60 combo?
    Solid state version of the Rockerverb, very well built. I own a Rockerverb 50, I couldn't beleive the incredible job they did. Really great tone and feel.

9. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Katana!

Oh ... :oops:

Do you need one channel or two?

10. thepilgrimsdream

thepilgrimsdream Member

1. Buy used

2. If you give us some example of the style of music or tone you are trying to achieve, we can offer more guidance.

My personal choice would be a used AC15 or AC30 for chime and that unique Vox vibe. A Fender Deluxe Reverb is a solid classic gigging amp that works as a great pedal platform. I'm not much of a high gain player, other people can lead you the right direction for that

Colamander likes this.
  11. twisty571

twisty571 Supporting Member

No issues with my DSL20HR so far? I don't understand the goofy switching comment either? It switches the channel & turns effects loop on or off?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    DIECHEATO likes this.
  12. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

They're saying it has slow switching (a short delay).

13. gerrickreidenbach

gerrickreidenbach Member

If you are looking for a used or new amp in the fifteen to twenty watt range that isn't solid state you will most likely be looking at amps with a pair of output tubes. Any amp with two 6v6, el84, or 6aq5 will probably get you there. But you could get a little more wattage from an older amp with two 6l6 or 5881 type tubes in that price range and only hear a small difference in volume.

14. woof*

woof* Member

Mig 50 by miles

15. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

I think they are successful products, meaning they can't be breaking down that much. Also, consider Peavey's Classic series, should be near your budget, especially used.

16. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

disconnector likes this.
  17. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

Fender Pro Jr IV Tweed will give you Fender cleans and turn up for Marshall mids.

Add a 1x12 cab and you can expand the usefulness of the PJIV and save the PCB and solder joints from vibrations, extending combo life cycle.

YMMV

18. derekirving

derekirving Supporting Member

+ 1 on Fender Pro Jr IV

19. harvey j

harvey j Member

look at the 15 watt monoprice, it is the same as the Laney15r. $240. It is very well made, better than a Blues jr.

20. gerrickreidenbach

gerrickreidenbach Member

They are difficult to repair and feature crap circuitry that makes them unreliable. Do yourself a favor and listen to what is being said. Do not be swayed.