• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Low End Floor Modelers Have Exp. Pedals, why not the higher end ones ?

Sascha Franck

Let's see:
- Axe FX is a rack unit. Obviously no pedal.
- Kemper is a rack/top unit. Dito.
- Amplifire 3 is small enough to fit in a gigbag, possibly even the AF12 is. Pedal would be too large.
- AX8 has none. No idea why.
- Helix has one.
- Headrush has one.

And that's it already. Not exactly enough material to base whatever generalisations on.

Watt McCo

Looking at AX-8 and Atomic stuff -- those are small operations. Building a rack unit is one thing - mostly pieces you buy from a supplier; building a rack unit that now includes some basic footswitches and sits on the floor -- still in that same realm; building a rack unit that sits on the floor and includes a traveling foot pedal...I imagine you're out of the realm of buying stuff from a supplier, piecing it together and programming. That would be my guess on those units.

Sascha Franck

Well, there's pros and cons to internal pedals. If you need a pedal, an internal one will take up less space and less weight, compared to an external one.
Also, with external ones it's quite not as easy to realize, say, a wah/volume switching scenario, let alone using a toeswitch.

fairness

I think @Watt McCo hit the nail on the head.
Also if an external pedal breaks you can easily replace it. Note that Atomic and Fractal are small and don't sell their stuff in the usual guitar stores and don't have the resources or abilities to just replace broken gear left and right like Line6 or Boss can.

Ugly Bunny

I like having the pedal, but I never use it. I also suspect that with higher-end modelers, many people will have exp pedals of their choice and not need built-ins.

ethomas1013

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer to choose my own pedal and would rather not have one built in.

Also, with external ones it's quite not as easy to realize, say, a wah/volume switching scenario, let alone using a toeswitch.
I don't know about other modelers, but this is easy to do with the Fractal AX8 with or without a toe-switch.

handyman

Well, there's pros and cons to internal pedals. If you need a pedal, an internal one will take up less space and less weight, compared to an external one.
Yup. If you're like me and don't really want an expression pedal, the saved space is a bonus. If you want one, a built in is obviously going to be more convenient. Different strokes for different folks.

With the AX8, at least, you can setup a wah/volume switching thing. You just use one of the four expression/switch inputs for the expression pedal and a second for the toe switch. Having to use two patch cables is sort of ugly, but it works fine.

I don't use a wah/vol setup like that (switching the wah means having to adjust the volume), but quite a few folks do with the Mission SP-1.

Guitar1969

I think also because alot of players have preferences on the Exp pedal they like from a hardware standpoint (travel, feel, resistance), and unlike effects and amps that are modeled, the Exp is a hardware device, so can't really be changed much.

I have a Helix that has the built in Exp pedal, and its fine, but it does not feel as good as my Old Morley Optical Volume pedal. Just does not feel as solid, but it does the job.

Last edited:

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
One of the reasons I like my helix rack better an the floor is that I get to choose my own expression pedal. Fractal does it right!

handyman

I think also because alot of players have preferences on the Exp pedal they like from a hardware standpoint (travel, feel, resistance), and unlike effects and amps that are modeled, the Exp is a hardware device, so can't really be changed much.
Certainly true. I have an old crybaby I really love the feel of, so I ripped out the circuit board, installed an appropriate linear pot from Dunlop and turned it into my expression pedal. Feels just like it did when it was a real wha pedal. :D

jmtaylor22

I like my Helix, but I am in the camp that I would prefer no pedal. If the LT model had lost the expression controller and been smaller I would have traded down. I rarely use it and prefer the smaller footprint and cost savings of no built in expression pedal.

Baminated

Wow interesting responses, seems like many here want to choose their own pedal, hence the market.
I want less sh!t to set up & carry, and the no integrated pedal is tge only deal breaker for me hence why I'm going for the helix

Trending Topics