low end flub on a princeton reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kekaiakea, Sep 8, 2008.

1. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

just got me an early 80s fender princeton reverb (the guy said its a reissue). this thing sounds pretty nice at low volumes, but has a great deal of low-end flub with the vol. over 4 (it actually sounds like the speaker farts out). I've tried it through other speakers and cabs, same issue.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. 4styx

4styx Member

This might be a little too obvious.Have you tried turning the bass down or off?I never run the bass above 2 on any amp.

3. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

yes, I have tried this, and this does eliminate the flub, but then there's no body to the tone.

4. 4styx

4styx Member

In a band situation you probably wouldn't notice.In my opinion it gets in the way.A Treble Booster pedal might be the ticket.It scrubs bass and loads it on the treble.Brighter pre amp tube such as a Tungsol 12aX7 would help too.

5. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

I use a 68 bassman for band gigs. I want to use the PR for the solo thang. I don't need more treble, I just want that bass flub out.

I've got a 66 BF Princeton that sounds absolutely DIVINE, and I was hoping to get this 80s PR to sound just as good.

6. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

7. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

What brand power tubes and speakers are you running? Both are going to contribute to flubbing pretty much directly.

8. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Eminence Ragin' Cajun speaker...supposed to have a nice taunt bottom.

9. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

My buddy has a Legend and a Ragin' Cajun in his Vibrolux. The bottom is anything but flubby.

10. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

I just got a 77 Princeton Reverb that has very pronounced low end flub over 3-4 on the volume.

I talked to a tech and he said that is a symptom of bad filter caps in the power supply. A full cap job and a more efficient speaker will will tighten things up as much as it's possible on a lower powered amp.

That was his advice. I'm going to try this. I also hate flubby bass and wish to tighten it up as much as possible on my Princeton Reverb.

11. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

the speaker is original, although I'm pretty sure that's not the cause as I have ran it through other speakers and cabs resulting in the same issue.

rectifier and preamp tubes are all original, however the power tubes appear to be some sort of "made in china" 6v6GT's.

any idea how much a cap job would cost?

12. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Chinese power tubes in there and you're thinking about a cap job? Dude, go get some new production Tung Sol, TAD, or JJ tubes for that amp pronto. If you love the amp, get it some NOS JAN Philips for a deal.

13. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

cap jobs run in the 200 dollar range, unless you have a friend who's an amp technician.

It may not be so much as bad caps, as it is the specs of the filtering the caps perform at. This requires somebody who actually knows what they are doing, to tune the amp to what you want it to sound like.

That level of service is hard to find, and is worth whatever they charge. It is up to you if you want to spend that kind of money on an '80s (undoubtably PCB) amp, or if it can even feasibly be done.

You might be better off selling the amp and getting one you like more.

14. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

its a PTP turret board.

thanks for all the opinions, I really appreciate your input!

15. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Not to be a dick or anything either, but you know it's a 15 watt amp. They tend to flub when cranked up. You might simply need an amp with more wattage.

16. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

I disagree. I own a 66 BF princeton that sounds GREAT with vol. on 9. Also have USA Pro Jr. that screams with no flub. Both low wattage amps with no issues. I don't need the amp to be all that loud as its mic'd most times.

17. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I stand corrected then. I would seriously look at the Chinese power section. Unless they're TADs or something that has been prescreened, they may not be up to snuff.

18. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

cool man, appreciate the input!