Low gain, amp like MIAB. Lagrange vs Xotic SL + EP?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by therhodeo, Jan 13, 2020.

1. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Not looking for gain. Not looking for brown sound. Not looking for a pile of posts that a plexi can't be replicated by a pedal.

Looking for Allmans or Joe Ely era Grissom type stuff. This would be into a clean channel. Again not looking really for much overdrive, looking for the character of a marshall.

Also given that the SL used is quite a bit cheaper than the Lagrange and doesn't have the boost switch I'm throwing in that I could potentially pick up an EP boost to go with it.

2. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I havent tried the La Grange but I can get those tones all day from the SL. You may have to try different settings with the internal dip switches, and the pedal is capable of a lot more gain than you need but with the gain between 9:00 and 10:00 you should be good.

Also consider an OCD drive. I have one and it's good for those tones too but I prefer r the SL slightly.

3. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Are you running it at 18v?

4. feet

feet Supporting Member

sl drive is great at 18v and makes a great team with an ep booster (also at 18v) but they aren't bad at 9v, either. not sure if this changes anything for you but i very, very, very much suspect that an sl drive is simply a rat variant. a little clearer and more ampy than robot-y, but fairly similar, otherwise. and like a rat, the sl drive sounds much better loud, so i suggest you use it that way. it isn't a bad low gainer, either.

therhodeo likes this.
  5. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

9v. If you run it at 18v you might get even closer to the tone you're looking for, which is very similar to the tone I use it for.

therhodeo likes this.
  6. kstrat62

kstrat62 Supporting Member

Don't write this off but the Tech 21 Hot Plexi sounds great for low gain stuff. I haven't found anything that can knock it off my board in the last 3-4 years!

therhodeo likes this.
  7. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I guess I assumed they were better direct.

8. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Any opinions on the Lagrange?

9. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

I have heard this about tech 21 stuff too, I even had a joyo copy ....but on the joyo ones you cannot turn of the cab sim which I think is pretty important if your not going direct, aside from that it sounded great so I plan on picking up a few tech 21 pedals

GtrGeorge! likes this.
  10. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

Its a small sample size, and people come here to complain, but the volume of claims on TGP of the La Grange having a poor build quality have been enough to keep me away.
    Id do the Ep & SL combo - ive had an EP and its a cool boost

11. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

Also. if ur ok with digital, the atomic amplifirebox ruined my search for foundational style drives

12. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I have the Amplifirebox and use it direct
    I tried once running it into a clean amp with the cab sim turned off on the 1/4" out and it sounded horrible
    Maybe I need to try again

13. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I'm a bit shocked that it seems there aren't the same problems with the Blue and Red pedals unless I'm just missing something.

14. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

That cleanish DB Allman sound is definitely in the SL. Those internal dip switches and powering it at 18v are key in finding the right sound with the amp you may be using. If I were looking for that bold woody MiaB sound from a clean amp like a Fender BF or Bassman, I would buy the SL again myself. Good luck.

Kevy_Metal, Cousin and therhodeo like this.
  15. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

Highly recommend checking out the Box of Rock.

radiocure and therhodeo like this.
  16. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

The Bogner LG is still my favorite M style OD pedal. It excels in the low gain setting. Medium and High are cool too but its fantastic in the low. It's dynamic, organic, and inspiring. I've had mine for a few years now, and I'm typically a flipper. I've had quite a few other popular M style ODs but nothing sounds as big and dynamic as the LG. It's cliche but it's very amp like. I recommend it for sure.

Kriig, Cliff Jitters and therhodeo like this.
  17. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

Barber Direct Drive Compact has better TONE than all.
    And I've tried them all.

Cousin likes this.
  18. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

That's what tricky about all of this. I liked the DD, but it didn't have the big sound and feel of the LG to me. LG just seemed more like an amp to me and was less sterile. Everyone has different tastes though.

19. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I've owned the OG DD, DDLG, DDSS, and maybe another one that I can't recall. Great OD's. Not what I'm looking for here though.

20. Keg8605

Keg8605 Member

I still have an SL (cheap and good).

I had a LaGrange for awhile. As a stand alone preamp into fryette powerstation It lacked some bass, boost made it better. Into the front of a fender amp I couldn't dial out the bass right. I ended up selling it. Boost was great on it. I wish it had bass treble mid controls vs tone.

I now have a Kingsley Constable and that is quite a great pedal even when being used as an OD. If you are using it straight into the power amp it unfortunately needs some volume since its an actual plexi preamp.

Short of it is I may actually have the SL back on my board soon for a good marshally drive in a compact format. Good luck in your quest.