• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Low gain, amp like MIAB. Lagrange vs Xotic SL + EP?

therhodeo

I still have an SL (cheap and good).

I had a LaGrange for awhile. As a stand alone preamp into fryette powerstation It lacked some bass, boost made it better. Into the front of a fender amp I couldn't dial out the bass right. I ended up selling it. Boost was great on it. I wish it had bass treble mid controls vs tone.

I now have a Kingsley Constable and that is quite a great pedal even when being used as an OD. If you are using it straight into the power amp it unfortunately needs some volume since its an actual plexi preamp.

Short of it is I may actually have the SL back on my board soon for a good marshally drive in a compact format. Good luck in your quest.
I run a mesa mk v:25 and controlling the bass is a genuine concern. Thanks for that feedback.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
Read previous replies. I've owned basically ever DD incarnation up to the compact one. Great OD's just not what I'm after here.
Curious what you consider the differences between the DD and what you are asking for in this thread?

To be clear I don't mean this in any defense of the DD, but rather from your experience what the differing factors are...

therhodeo

Curious what you consider the differences between the DD and what you are asking for in this thread?

To be clear I don't mean this in any defense of the DD, but rather from your experience what the differing factors are...
I felt like the DD needed some gain to it before it opened up and it didn't do that lower range of gain as well. Like it needed to push or be pushed.

ballynally

Im a tad baffled by your needs.
Most 'plexi' pedals are just marketing.It brings in gain and/or distortion.
If you're looking for the Plexi honk try to get a pedal that delivers that.
A good Plexi pedal gives you that and has the shape of a Plexi pre amp.
The SL doesnt really do that imo even though it tries to emulate a Super Lead.
I think the Box of Rock does it better even though it is trying to get the JTM 40 sound.
I find that sound closer to a Plexi than the SL especially on the higher gain settings.
The smaller version, the Distortron is very versatile..

therhodeo

Im a tad baffled by your needs.
Wanting a clean plexi sound that gets dirty if you push it and cleans up if you roll off.

Most 'plexi' pedals are just marketing.It brings in gain and/or distortion.
I get it, you've read the recent cluster of a thread. I specifically said I'm not looking for a lot of gain. Just like plexis were fairly clean amps until you push them.

If you're looking for the Plexi honk try to get a pedal that delivers that.
A good Plexi pedal gives you that and has the shape of a Plexi pre amp.
It's almost like I started a thread asking for recommendations because I'm not sure what the best option for that is.

The SL doesnt really do that imo even though it tries to emulate a Super Lead.
How specifically?

I think the Box of Rock does it better even though it is trying to get the JTM 40 sound.
I find that sound closer to a Plexi than the SL especially on the higher gain settings.
The smaller version, the Distortron is very versatile..
Sorta irrelevant to the specific question I asked.

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
Another one for SL. I also have two of them (one for each rig). My favorite is having it set to super bass mode (via internal dip switches) and having the gain at 9:00 and gets a great bluesy sound, move the tone knob to suit your taste/amp. Even with at gain at 7:00 or 8:00 and using the volume to boost gives a great tone for pushing front end of tube amp. I am getting a very Duane Allman tone from my black lovepedal deluxe pedal though as well.

ballynally

Wanting a clean plexi sound that gets dirty if you push it and cleans up if you roll off.

I get it, you've read the recent cluster of a thread. I specifically said I'm not looking for a lot of gain. Just like plexis were fairly clean amps until you push them.

It's almost like I started a thread asking for recommendations because I'm not sure what the best option for that is.

How specifically?

Sorta irrelevant to the specific question I asked.
ok, you want both a clean and an overdriven Plexi without the actual Plexi.
You can have some of but not all of it.
You answered your own question in your OP.
Yes, you do need an actual Plexi because you need a working output section.
Every pedal is a preamp with a certain EQ circuit, with or without clipping diodes, op-amps and the lot.That goes into an amp's circuit altering the sound of the pedal because it's interacting with it.
I'm sorry but you can't make your Fender into a Marshall, not even a Bassman.
If you want the sound of a Plexi without a Plexi, use a...modeler.
And btw, gain doesnt equal distortion..
Q: are you sure you want a Plexi sound, as in Super Lead?
Your SL pedal does not get you there for sure.
Ah, what the hell, just get a Plexi..and a 4x12:rotflmao.Then get an SL drive as an overdrive..
I bet most posters here havent played one and probably never will, given the state of stage equipment nowadays.First learn how to play like Duane A before you start making demands of your gear.
(Sorry, sounds a bit harsh)

Last edited:

Kriig

I really like the La Grange through my CAA OD50 clean channel in all gain modes.
From clean ro mean.. With low gain, it works as a boost, or boosted too.

No problems with anything not working either.

i3oosted

Lord there are some annoying people in this world.

Anyways, I have the SL pedal and its great, exactly what I was looking for though I didnt have "plexi sound" as a description in my mind when looking for MIAB. It definitely pushes the low mids and mids and sweetens the top end IMO, it has multiple pin switches inside to even more customize the sound. Its just a great sounding pedal in the style of MIAB. Be prepared though that its not a "clean to OD" sweep pedal, meaning... it has a lot of gain on the dial sweep and very little if any "right at breakup". With HB's it sounds pretty good and with SC's it sounds godly. Good luck!

therhodeo

Every pedal is a preamp with a certain EQ circuit, with or without clipping diodes, op-amps and the lot.That goes into an amp's circuit altering the sound of the pedal because it's interacting with it.
Ah, what the hell, just get a Plexi..and a 4x12:rotflmao.Then get an SL drive as an overdrive..
I bet most posters here havent played one and probably never will, given the state of stage equipment nowadays.First learn how to play like Duane A before you start making demands of your gear.
You assume wrong that Duane is even the one I want to sound like.

guitarman3001

So unless one can play exactly like Duane Allman, they are in no position to desire or demand certain qualities from their gear? I suppose the owners of this site should just shut it down since apparently most of us have no right to discuss gear.

I guess you've singlehandedly ended TGP. Congratuations!! :beer

therhodeo

So unless one can play exactly like Duane Allman, they are in no position to desire or demand certain qualities from their gear? I suppose the owners of this site should just shut it down since apparently most of us have no right to discuss gear.

I guess you've singlehandedly ended TGP. Congratuations!! :beer
Also I'm looking to add a sound on a gig-worthy rig. I'm not looking to have a basement full of amps for every conceivable tone.

GtrGeorge!

I read the OP. I think only a tube circuit will come close.
Try the Ibanez tube king. And also the bk butler blue tube. Let me know you think.

Cousin

Silver Supporting Member
Not looking for gain. Not looking for brown sound. Not looking for a pile of posts that a plexi can't be replicated by a pedal.

Looking for Allmans or Joe Ely era Grissom type stuff. This would be into a clean channel. Again not looking really for much overdrive, looking for the character of a marshall.

Also given that the SL used is quite a bit cheaper than the Lagrange and doesn't have the boost switch I'm throwing in that I could potentially pick up an EP boost to go with it.
Have you by any chance tried the MXR Bad Ass Overdrive? I know both Jack Pearson and Scott Sharrard ( Gregg Allman musical director) use it and are big fans of it. Both are great players that touch on the Allman Bros sound and feel. It's definitely not high gain.

therhodeo

Have you by any chance tried the MXR Bad Ass Overdrive? I know both Jack Pearson and Scott Sharrard ( Gregg Allman musical director) use it and are big fans of it. Both are great players that touch on the Allman Bros sound and feel. It's definitely not high gain.
I haven't but it's more of a TS pedal that takes a blackface amp and pushes it into a big singing sound. It's on my list because of Pearson but for a completely different role. Big fan of both of those guys for sure.

saladin

Gold Supporting Member

The best MIAB I've used. Great at low/med and hi gain and can be used as a boost as well!
I'm currently using Barber pedals but if I wanted Marshall tones, I would grab another one of these and not look back.

Trending Topics