Low gain, amp like MIAB. Lagrange vs Xotic SL + EP?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by therhodeo, Jan 13, 2020.

1. 71strat

71strat Member

Well, it is a box, just probably bigger that expected. But this IS a Marshall in a BOX.

JMP 1.
    [​IMG]

ballynally, jamester and therhodeo like this.
  2. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Had an OG Crunch Box from the very first release. Way more JCM sound than what I'm wanting. Great pedal but not the era or gain range I want.

3. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Ugh I don't need encouragement to get into rack gear. The temptation is already there.

71strat likes this.
  4. 71strat

71strat Member

Do It!, Do It! Do it!!! Rack Gear, Rack Gear!!!!

It is what it is though.

phazersonstun and ballynally like this.
  5. Slashaholic Anonymous

Slashaholic Anonymous Member

The best plexi pedal I’ve used is the Lovepedal Purple Plexi. Does great low gain, though YT demos don’t show it very well and focus more on high gain tones.

Would also recommend checking out the PedalPal FX 1959 emulator and Fire Custom Carpe Diem.

Jim Marciano and therhodeo like this.
  6. ballynally

ballynally Member

i deliberately overstated my argument, a common technique, to make the point that trying to replicate someone's total amplified sound, whomever that may be, with a single preamp pedal is bound for failure, not glory.
    And i gave the reasons why. People have inflated expectations of the 'short cut' method.Hence the flipping pedal market.
    Getting a TS does not turn you into SRV.You need the amp as well and possibly turn down half a note and bigger strings and learn how to play like him.
    Idem ditto w any player you can think of.
    So, in my (no doubt inflated) opinion, the only alternative way you get close to the overall sound of a certain amp is by using a good modeler.
    I have many pedals that have a certain colour, and i use them in conjunction with my amps, but i do not expect them to get to the finishing line by themselves.
    A previous poster mentioned a rack Marshall.That's a good alternative but still a solid state version of the real thing, ie valves.
    (I have a small Marshall Lead 12 ss which is great fun to play).

I hope that helps..:)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  7. ballynally

ballynally Member

well, you mentioned the Allmans in yr OP.I assumed Greg.You also said you want the character of a Marshall.
    The only character you can get in a pedal is a preamp based on a preamp section of a Marshall.Take your pick.

8. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Don't post when you're drinking.

9. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I might offer a different opinion....

I did NOT get along with the SL drive in front of a clean Fender. It was just way too scooped regardless of where I had the switches set. It would probably be balls-out awesome in front of a darker, and/or slightly dirty amp though.

The Box of Rock is a good suggestion. Great low-gainer that sounds good in front of a clean amp and the built-in boost is great!

ballynally and therhodeo like this.
  10. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

AYA Drivesta, there's only a few yt vids (Verhayen and Pierce) that demonstrate more gain. But it does an excellent clean/low gain with rolling down git's volume. And the tmb eq's are very usable. It has satisfied my miab quest.

11. saladin

saladin Supporting Member

I had an old school version too. Not at all the same! The newest version does low gain with ease!

therhodeo likes this.
  12. turtleboy3

turtleboy3 Member

How do you compare the Crunchbox v2 to Barber DD?

13. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

I just had both, the crunch box has alot more gain and the presence control is great, the barber does sound good but the best sounds needed the volume up loud which came with a volume increase, without the volume up it didn't have enough gain, the crunch box can get gain at any volume, I kept the crunch box 1 because of the gain and presence and 2 because direct drive vs gain changer I prefered the gain changer, the direct drive could perform different into a breaking up amp tho, I didn't use it like that ... But may try a big box version sometime

turtleboy3 likes this.
  14. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Thanks for that feedback. Definitely helpful.

15. saladin

saladin Supporting Member

For Marshall tones the Super Crunch Box is the clear winner. The DD/SS is my least favorite of the Barber line. Currently using a CGX, Small Fry and Dirty Bomb.
    I'm not seeking Marshall sounds so the Barbers are a better fit for me.

16. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Silver Supporting Member

Have you tried the Wampler Plexi?

17. macrossgeorge

macrossgeorge Member

My happy results with SL (in super bass mode with gain set low) are in front of a clean fender tube amp (1972 Pro Reverb). I have also enjoyed that pedal in super lead mode in front of a clean fender rumble 500 bass amp (yes, with a guitar and a reverb pedal). I find that with that pedal you have to get just the right ratio of gain and tone knobs to get what you want as well as trying all the internal switches. I have spent a lot of time dialing it in for different set ups but it is a keeper for me.

18. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

Three come to my mind;

The DCW Woodsman

The Lovepedal Jubilee

The Keeley 1962 or 1962X

Snare227 and Jim Marciano like this.