Low gain+boost suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Clint torrez, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Clint torrez

Clint torrez Member

Just looking for some suggestions here. I've been using a MIJ SD-1 as my low gain drive and also using it in front of my Blues Pro, Crunch box and Fireburst to goose for leads. I'm pretty happy with how it adds a little hair and mids when boosting other pedals, but on it's own it lacks bottom end and doesn't give me the volume I need. So I was looking at maybe picking up a Keeley SD-1, but I have also been looking at others like the Pedalworx Tejas, the Texas Two Step or even a Diamond J-Drive.

I'm looking to spend $150-200 new or used, so if you guys have advice or suggestions it would be much appreciated.

2. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

Tim is only $150 new... but would break your bank used ($250)

3. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

i run a blues pro into a timmy for a lead tone, timmy on its own for like breakup rhythm. sounds great!

4. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    +1 on the Timmy/Tim - great flat gain w/min. compression. The RC Boost when the gain is goosed to 10, 11 o'clock will give you that "little hair" thing, very low compression added, and it has treble & bass control's - very nice & reasonable price - better used price there, unlike Tim & Timmy used. You didn't specify single coil or Humbuckers (I dont think) - I use 'buckers a lot, so I lean towards the flatter OD/Boost's - The Keeley modded Boss Blues Driver-2 is good @ low gain & won't loose bass. For a two button OD/Built in Boost - Fulltone Fulldrive-2 has a lot of user around here - in Vintage mode - switch will work w/single coils by adding TS type mid hump - Modern switch mode w/buckers, flatter eq there - just flip switch if you switch guitars - also can be had used @ good price - a little more compression @ 9volt than those listed above - 18v will open it up more - easy to find used @ good price. Forgot the boost thing - I use a Keeley Katana for super clean boost on all the single pedals - the Fulldrive has a built-in boost mode - that one's a two-fer.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  5. tombstone blues

tombstone blues Member

You can NEVER go wrong with Keeley stuff.IMO.:banana

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

for what you're describing, a bd-2 might be a better fit than an SD-1.

Problem is that if you goose it, they will both clip and compress. Boss pedals have low headroom inputs.

I was in a similar position as you and my search ended when I picked up a TC electronic vintage tube primer (aka Trex Moller). Tons of headroom for boosting, independent clean boost built in, and by FAR the most transparent distortion sounds I've ever heard.

You can set it so you don't even realize its on.... then you dig in with your pick and you feel that ear-to-ear smile and say "oh yeah!"

With my AC30, it sounds IDENTICAL to cranking the pre-gain and turning down the master volume. Reacts really well to my boosts too.

7. Clint torrez

Clint torrez Member

I'll definitely see if I can get my hands on a tim/timmy, you guys have got me intrigued. As for my setup, I'm using humbuckers full time and it doesn't really matter to me if it is a two button, just so long as it can pull double duty.

Great suggestions so far, any other candidates?

8. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

The ASHBASS ts9 mod is lower gain and fatter bottomed than others I've tried. You can remove a resistor to lower the gain even more...I did this and love it on all the time. I boost it with an Analogman Silver mod.