Low Gain - Jimi Hendrix - What Pedal???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BluesHarp, Mar 5, 2008.

1. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

If you wanted to nail a close tone to what Jimi had on his low gain songs.. what pedal/pedals and amps would you go to? Im talking exactly nailing this tone. This is focused more on pedals though because Im sure what he used through one of the amps he played would get it... im thinking A:pedal into B:clean tube amp.

Listen to Castles Made of Sand, Little Wing, and Bold as Love and feel me.

:hiP

2. stuey222

stuey222 Member

I'm pretty sure those songs in the studio version are a Fender Twin or something similar.

3. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

i can get a cool hendrixy tone by combining my fulltone 69 with my keeley ts808... and rolling the volume halfway back on the guitar.

not dead on... but close enough for a hack like me.

4. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

boldaslove... sounds hendrixy.. lol

5. kalender1

kalender1 Member

Those songs you mentioned sound to me like a 100 watt marshall with no effects...just amp on 10 and volume controlled through the guitar.

6. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

i wish there was a better story... it was the album playing on my computer when i signed up for tgp. 1977 is just the year i was born. no special hidden meanings. i guess it could have been worse... powerballadsgold1977 wouldn't sound nearly as cool.

7. alivegy

alivegy Member

I've always thought those songs just sounded like a plexi cranked but with the volume on the guitar fairly low. So you'll probably want a Marshall voiced pedal with an amp like dynamic response. So Blackstone or the King of the Britains? I can actually get fairly close with my crunchbox into a bf bassman pushing two celestions with some fiddling.

8. burner

burner Member

Would those not be an instance of a Fuzzface with the guitar volume rolled back?
    At least for the live versions?
    Or is it straight amp?

Interesting though.
    I play through Reissue 65 Twins which,IMO sound very good clean.
    I have to wonder though if playing a fuzz face through a Marshall simulation pedal like the BOR...or something else...would give a similar sound.

If you crank up one of the Marshall simulation pedals and drive a FF through it, will they both clean up when you roll the volume back just like a FF through a real marshall would?

BTW, I just got a Dunlop "Huge designed" Fuzz Face and I have to say that it sounds incredible!
    Yes, I'm still on the honeymoon, but it certainly blows away the old Dulop Fuzz Faces...

9. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I know what you mean. "Gang Twanger" was the first thing that popped into my head, so I went with it.

Do yo mean the rhythm tone or the leads? As far as the rhythm tone on "Bold As Love" goes, I think they are right about it being a cranked amp. That's what I've heard.

10. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

In the studio, as far as I know, the rhythm sound on "B.A.L." is cranked clean amp. It depends on the song, I guess. We are talking about Hendrix. The guy was a tone hunter extraordinaire.

11. Python

Python Member

BluesHarp,

I know exactly the tone you are after. I've been looking for that tone for 30+ years myself. I finally found it about 3 years ago. To me, it's the most beautiful sound in the universe. It's the sound that got me to buy a 1964 Strat back in 1975 (they weren't vintage back then - I picked it up for $150).

Anyway, you need a clean tube amp such as a Fender Twin, Deluxe Reverb or similar. I use a Speedster Deluxe 25W which is a Deluxe Reverb clone. The amp doesn't have to be that loud, either, to get "that" sound.

I also use a John Suhr Classic (V60LP pickups). I am assuming that any good Strat with the right pickups will do the trick.

This setup got me close but what finally got me "there" was a BJF Honey Bee. I have it set pretty low-gain that just adds some punch and slight gain (and I mean very slight).

You might try it out and see how it suits you. There are a lot of good pickups on the market but the Suhr Classic with the V60LPs is what motivated me to sell my 64 Strat that I had for 30 years.

12. blues

blues Supporting Member

+ 100 Those old 80 and 100 watt marshall cabs with greenbacks sound good clean. I would try a COT 50. Those old marshalls can sound great screaming or rolled back clean.

13. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

As far as pedals go, I've been nailing the rhythm and lead "Bold As Love" tones with my Throbak Overdrive Boost. If I set the gain low, almost as a dirty boost, it turns my Carvin MTS combo clean channel into a classic Marshall/Fender cranked clean sound. If I leave it in silicon mode and crank the gain up, I nail the lead tone. But there's no bottom-end loss issues, like with many fuzz face clones.

14. burner

burner Member

Good Lord!
    Why didn't you just put the Suhr pups in the Strat?!?!?

Just pokin' ya',man. :D

15. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

It really pays to do your homework when investigating tone. I mean, learning how to identify, for example, a classic clean or dirty Marshall, Fender, or Vox for that matter when you hear it. Learn the classics, and how to identify them. Not to mention, the differences between a germanium Fuzz Face and a silicon one. Then there's the whole Octavia thing. It's a lot of ground to cover, but getting there is half the fun.

16. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Yea... rhythm tone. I can get the real clean tones with a Beano on bass setting and vol rolled back. Bias on about 10. These 3 songs offer a more complicated texture.

I have a AM sunface and a BJFE Honey Bee I just got in today. Yippie!!!!!!!!!!! I will be experimenting with these for this tone. As far as a guitar... you cant beat Seymour Duncan Aps-1's and bridge SSL-5. Sweet rich and complex. And a good maple neck...I have a fender deluxe maple w/jumbo frets. I had a set of suhr v60lp's that didnt sound near as rich as the SD's.

17. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

I think the newest Menatone KOTB on the Bass setting with a strat does a really great job of those tones.

18. Rock72

Rock72 Member

The Barber LTD v.2 gets you darn close. You can listen to 'Axis: Bold as Love' played through it:

http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html

I also use my Menatone King of the Britains for Hendrix low gain sounds..

Christian

19. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I got my Beano right after Christmas, and haven't messed with the bias pot yet. I wish mine had a sun dial. Looks like I have to get out my screwdriver.

20. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I had a KOTB but sold it due to using my fetto more... it had more definition for high gain. It was a killer pedal though. I will probably try the barber ltd v.2 someday soon. The sound bite sounded VERY very close. Thanks!