1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Low Gain OD pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blhm84, Feb 18, 2009.

1. blhm84

blhm84 Member

I used to play in more of a rock jam band setting, and used a conjunction of a TS-9 for medium gain and my Barber DD for higer gain. The band I"m in now is more of a funky jazz, Joshua Redman John Scofield type of thing. So I don't really need as much overdrive as I needed before.

So, I'm thinking of switching my TS-9 for the situations when I need some medium gain stuff, but I need a good pedal that gives me a real light overdrive or even as a clean booster at times. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of the Barbar LTD.

2. chuckmoose

chuckmoose Member

I have a Barber LTD SR, and it's a very nice low gain overdrive. I would think it's the best I had played except that I also have a Tim and a Timmy. They are the best for me, but the Barber may be a bit smoother, so there is definitely taste involved. The Tims are a bit more spitty, fizzy sounding (I can't think of the right word right now, fizzy isn't really it), but nearly tonally neutral if you set up the EQ to be that way. The Barber has a little bit of tonal effect, but not much, and it may be a little smoother on the top end.

A Zendrive at very low gain can be quite nice as well, and have some but not a ton of tonal impact. You may even find all you need is a good compressor for some of what you want to achieve.

3. Bobster

Bobster Supporting Member

+1 for the timmy! Else, try the Menatone red snapper! Great tonal variety for low-gain ods!

4. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

5. hpdotnet

hpdotnet Member

Sparkle Drive or RC Booster.

6. richpjr

richpjr Member

+1 for the Barber LTD. I have it and a DD and between the two it covers the entire gamut.

7. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

8. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I can't recommend the Menatone Red Snapper highly enough for this type of application.

9. norumba

norumba Member

the sparkle drive is interesting but it eats low end big time in my experience. Got rid of it quickly once i started messing will alternate /modal tunings...

10. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

11. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I love my LTD. For me, it's the low gain clean/od pedal I've always wanted. Sounds like an extension of my amps clean tone.

12. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

Menatone Red Snapper is the ultimate low gainer IMO

13. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

+1!

14. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I use a Barber LTD & a Tim (LM1458 chip for a smoother sound) both with good results.

15. robinje

robinje Member

Another Red Snapper (4-knob) owner here. I love it! It's my main dirt box. I tend to run it with just a bit of hair with the Gain at about noon, the Bite around 9:30, and the Cut around 10:00.

16. leech

leech Member

try the Toneczar Dove. Its my main OD now, hands down.

17. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

Huge +1 for the red snapper...it matches up with my Fender PRRI so beautifully.

18. bcc5025

bcc5025 Member

DOD FX50. The 2 knob version. Honestly, even though cheap this thing is great for what you're looking for. Give it a look. If it wern't for the iffy switch it would still be on my board.

19. Twin63

Twin63 Member

Hard to beat the LTD...sweet sounding, inexpensive, and readily available.