Low gain OD to compliment my Timmy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Oct 8, 2006.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey all,

Lately I've been taking tock of my tone, trying to focus on finding an OD setup that i'm happy with. I'm currently using a Timmy as my first stage OD/slightly gritty boost. I'd like to find a nice low gain OD to use as my second stage OD and to stack with the Timmy. I've used a Fulldrive 2, a modded SD-1 and a modded TS-9 but haven't really been happy with the results. I'd like to find something nice and smooth, very amplike to get creamy, singing sustain.

I mainly play guitars with humbuckers through a Mesa/Boogie DC-3 amp but i also play a Tele, so i'd like to find something that plays well with both humbuckers and single coils. Any suggestions? I've considered a Zendrive, Honey Bee, MI Audio Blues Pro/Blue boy, Analogman Silver TS9...

Are there any other recommendations? Anything else to consider? I'm on the list for a Tim and a Zendrive, close to the top for both I think...

I'm also in the process of trying to reconcile switching from my Mesa to something with a cleaner sound, like a Vintage Bassman or a Deluxe/Vibrolux type amp - but that's for another thread...Regardless, i still would like to find something to compliment my Timmy and complete my OD quest!

Any input would be great!

Brian

2. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I've used the new version of the Cactus Crunch with my Tim for the last month and it sounds very much like what your looking for. I use it much in the same manner your speaking of. I'm very happy with the results I'm getting by stacking the Tim and CC. It wouldn't hurt to put the CC on your list of considerations.

3. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

another vote for the CC as well. other option's that work well (for me) include.........barber LTD (blk), and my current fave......MI audio blues pro. I really love the voicing and versatility of this pedal, stacks really well with the timmy too!

4. erksin

erksin Member

I own the Blue Boy and it's a great pairing with the Timmy, IMO. An even better one though is a CoT50 - those two pedals are made for each other...

5. trumpus

Hmmm...COT50? I actually forgot about it - definately ant to try it out.

The problem is, as with a lot of these boutique pedals, that I have no way of trying some of them (Zendrive, BJF HB, COT50) before making a decision!

Brian

6. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

The Honeybee is my favorite stack with my Tim/Timmy. It makes a seamless stack (as in, no real added noise, sounds like one pedal) and is my favorite rhythm sound. If you increase the gain level a little on either pedal, it is also very useable for leads. I also like the LGW stacked into the Tim/Timmy for a fat, more TS type od. But, the HB/Tim is my current favorite. It really fattens up the Tim and can brighten up the HB to perfection depending on your eq settings. The HB smooths out some of the grain of the Tim and provides more sutain.
    And, you still have two of the best low gain od's on their own to work with.:AOK

7. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

How about an MI Tube Zone? IMHO it really shines at low gain stuff.

8. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

+10 on stacking the Cactus Crunch with the TIMMY. I couldn't believe how good these pedals sounded together. Also the CC is good for leads, I've been using these two pedals for a while and run the TIMMY or TIM into the Cactus Crunch. The CC also has a lot of headroom. It's also a pedal that sounds best when your amp is cooking..

9. Coach

Coach Senior Member

HBOD is great and I think there is enough sustain with the Timmy/HB combo to recommend it.

10. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I use an RC Booster and a Honeybee. For me, the HB has plenty of gain and will sing when it's goosed with either the RC or a Bad Bob Boost that I also use. The HB is easily the most amp-like OD pedal I've used, but I haven't used tons of them.

11. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

12. garyh

garyh Member

I stack various ODs with my Timmy but my favourite is the Timmy into a Juaernig Luxury Drive. It's a boost pedal but is great for an extremely open light OD sound and when paired with the Timmy, it's just awesome.

13. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

BJF Baby Blue - one of the very best low gain overdrives I know. I pair mine with a Keeley Fuzz Head and Menatone Fish Factory

14. OOG

OOG Member

i've been using 2 Timmys and just got another Honey Bee
    the Timmy>HB is really doing it for me
    cbpickin's post is spot on how i see/hear it
    this combo sings
    and you have the option of each box seperately
    3 great sounds with tons of flexability

15. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Another vote for the HB. There is nothing like it.

16. trumpus

I made some changes to my rig, trying to minimize the number of effects i'm using, and my tone has improved dramatically. Right now, for the time being, my OD section is just my modded TS-9 RI into the Timmy - whcih, though slightly better after removing a bunch of effects, still isn't quite what i'm looking for.

I'll definately be unloading the TS-9 and SD-1 in favor of something else. I'm definately interested in trying out the COT50 and HBOD with my gear, its just a matter of getting my hands on them.

I'm actually a little surprised that more people haven't recommended the Zendrive or Klon. Anyone have any opinions on the MI Audio Blue Boy or Blues Pro? Anyone have any input on the Lovepedal Eternity? What about an Analogman Silver TS9?

Brian

17. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Timmy>HB is a great stack, I used to love that one.

Timmy>Klon works really well for me. The really open Timmy sound for rhythm plus the Klon for leads is a very big sound but has a lot of presence and focus.

I'm very interested to see how Timmy>Purple Plexi or Purple Plexi>Timmy goes too. Can't imagine that'd be any worse than with a COT-50.

18. erksin

erksin Member

Brian -

I own a Blue Boy and LOVE it - the best TS variant I've ever owned or tried by a longshot. I tend to use mine for medium gain tones, but the low gain ones are great too. I don't use it in conjuction with the Timmy very often though because as I have them set it's ususally more gain than I use when stacked, the CoT50 + Timmy is the combo I stack the most.

It's hard to decide - you've got some killer boxes on your list to try, the HB is on mine right now.

19. trumpus

I think the HB is the one i'm the most interested - but $350 for an OD is a little steep for me right now. I will likely get around to trying the COT50 and some of the others first...

20. trumpus

Anyone have any thoughts on these:

Zendrive?
    Analogman Silver TS-9?
    Klon?
    Fulltone OCD?
    Eternity?