Low Gain Overdrive Pedal Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RJLII, Dec 23, 2009.

1. RJLII

RJLII Member

Greetings to all,

My new Carr Rambler is very pedal friendly so I need to find it a couple new friends. First off, I'd like to pick up an Overdrive pedal with good low gain tone. I have a Fulltone OCD that works great for higher gain tones, but I can't really turn it down enough sometimes. I just want to put some teeth on the sound for a good blues tone. A Timmy has been suggested as well as a Zen Drive. Opinions?

2. wiklund87

wiklund87 Member

Barber DDLG for low gain marshall tones... and maybe Catalinbread DLS, but I think you have to run it on 18v.... I've only used mine on 9v and I don't dig it...yet..

3. Lance

Lance Member

AM TS808 silver. It's a great boost of my Ethos with that gain around 3 o'clock. TS around 10-11 o'clock.

4. Jschoi

Jschoi Silver Supporting Member

Tim/Timmy for the win. Try it. You will NOT be disappointed. If you are, sell it to me. =) I could always use another one.

Also, you may want to check out the bluestone OD. No buzz around here about it, but it doesn't get talked about enough. 4 knobs: Volume, gain, bite, and tone. When the gain is turned completely down, bite and tone at noon, and volume all the way up, you get the EXACT tone of your guitar directly into the amp. Then, if you need some gain and dirt, you just adjust accordingly until you hit that sweet spot that you're looking for.

Jason

5. RambleFX

RambleFX Supporting Member Vendor

Barber LTD SR is a nice, transparent, low gain drive with a great tone knob.

6. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Any of the Barber LTD pedals work great for low gainers also would recommend the MI Audio Blues Pro that pedal can get very clean and punchy to medium grit, the tone knob works very well!

7. cber1517

cber1517 Member

:agree - had both the LTD and Blues Pro. Two of the better pedals on the market and both are reasonably priced.

8. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

By that description it sounds like a rip off of the Red Snapper. Which incidentally, is the pedal I would recommend.

9. tri99er

tri99er Member

10. idk

idk Member

Sparkle Drive

11. Lance

Lance Member

Sweet! A different option from every poster. This would be a clear indicator to the OP, that it's all a matter of personal taste. Meaning, go try out a bunch until you find the keeper.

12. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

You cannot go wrong with a Timmy!

But just for another suggestion...
    How about a Fulldrive 2 ...

13. never-enough

never-enough Member

Keeler pull, Timmy, am kot, noc puredrive, menatone red snapper are all great.

14. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Rob,

I would consider both boosts and overdrives with you Rambler. The boosts will drive your Rambler into overdrive and keeps its own tonal characteristics intact. The overdrives will impart some EQ characteristics on top of your amp's tone.

Boosts:
    Overdrives:
    These pedals range in price from $129 to $344 (3x range) and some are available immediately and some will take you years waiting to get.

If I had to guess and provide you with contrast to your OCD and if time and money are factors, I would propose Brian Mena's Red Snapper for $180. If you can wait 6 months, call Paul Cochrane up and order a Timmy for $129. I concur with the earlier posters. The Timmy is slightly grittier and the Red Snapper is slightly smoother, which may provide more contrast to the OCD. On the other hand, the EQ on the Timmy is very powerful and can help with the poor BF bass. If you want to try a boost, try a Steve Miller's Flying Dragon for $179. It's very dynamic and will goose your pre-amp. The other pedals are worth looking into when making your decision. All are good.

:)

Bob

15. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

The Menatone Das Boost is another excellent boost for $129 new.

16. deeohgee

deeohgee Member

The Barber 1/2 Gainer is worth checking out for low gain goodness

17. huskerjohn

huskerjohn Member

These have been suggested, but let me add my 2 cents.

Keeler Pull - About as low gain as I have every tried. Very musical and works best with Strats (or teles) into a fender amp slightly pushed.

Analogman KOTv4 - Can get heavy, but keep the dip switches and the boost or the OD setting and it a solid low gain pedal.

Timmy - Just a great low to medium gain OD.

I like some of the tube screamer or the tube screamer flavored pedals best when set on low gain. These include the FD2, the HW Eternity and th Mojo Drive.

18. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

Loving the NOC3 Firefly - did a little adjusment on the internal trimmers and it is great.
    Retro Sonic eight o eight is another good one.

19. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Man, I'm getting some amazing sounds from my Keeley modded Boss Blues Driver. Tele > BD > Rebel 30 > GB/V30.

:dude

Sweeeeet.

20. JiMB

JiMB Member

Try out Scott from BMF's Holy Balls! overdrive.
    Nice low gainer, very amp like, retains your low end and sounds good at bedroom levels too. It's replaced my KOT V2.

Checkout my clips of it in the Gear Demo section.

Jim