Low gain Timmy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ed Reed, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

When Paul called telling he was going to build my Timmy, I ask for the low gain pot mod and he was kind enough to do it and add a blue led. Man this thing sounds so stinking good. Now I'm thinking about ordering a regular strength Timmy with a red led to compare. Anyone here compare these?

2. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

OK, now seeing as Paul is such a busy man I don't know if I should even mention this!

jakeddy we must be on a similar wavelength!

I had a Timmy and now have a TIM. As far as the least compressed aspect of the TIM goes I really like the lower gain pot which IMO sounds a little smoother and offsets a tiny bit of harshness the Timmy had at similar gain levels while still having that amazing openess and transparency.

One thing I really liked about the Timmy though at higher gain settings was asymmetrical mode.

My idea was for a double Timmy (a Timothy maybe!) which would have one side low gain pot run uncompressed the other side higher gain pot run asymmetrical)

For me this would be the best combination of all things starting with the letters T-I-M.

3. jeak

jeak Member

In case you've missed all the IC-swapping discussions, a different chip in the Timmy might have a similar effect. I have not compared the two pots, but I do run an LM1458 in place of the stock chip. The quoted words above are exactly how I would describe the difference.

4. OOG

OOG Member

so jeak...
    which pot does your Timmy have?

5. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

Yep, got an LM1458 which I've tried and it also does its thing. Just trying one in my TIM actually. Tried some 4558s too and even tried the opamp from my KOT for fun.

I still somehow sensed the pot value did something a bit different but it's been a while and I might hear it differently now.

Imagine the cool combos with IC swapping, DIP switches and different pot values in a double Timmy!

6. jeak

jeak Member

Sorry, I should have said. The higher-gain pot. I haven't heard the lower one yet.

7. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

Does Paul always call prior to building an order? I'm on his list for a Tim and Timmy and would be interested in customizing them for the best variation with both on my pedalboard.

Cheers,
    McE

8. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

I keep seeing the buzz on these pedals but cannot find any info other than what's getting posted on this board. Is there a website for these? Soundclips?

Enquiring mind wants to know. Thanks.

9. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Do a search, there's a ton of info on the Tim/Timmy.

10. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

So no website?

11. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

yeah he calls, mine is on the way! simply told him i want it to sound like
    my amp just more of it!
    :cool:

12. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

13. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Do your self a favor and order one of both, you will thank me later. (about two months later as a matter of fact) As I said, every time I turn mine on I can't believe how good it sounds.