low gainers thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by missing_dave, Jun 2, 2008.

1. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

anyone care to share there likings for the low gain pedals? its an area i dont know many pedals for but claim it as my main sound?? ill name a few to get some of the obvious ones out of the way.

LTD
    timmy (tim)
    red snapper
    RC booster

2. iggs

iggs Member

Keeler Pull, great low-gain pedal. Very little grit of it's own but sounds wonderful when pushing an already crunchy amp.

3. Wooley

Wooley Member

Shannon Helios
    Lovepedal CoT50
    Clark Gainster
    Barber LTD
    Catalinbread Hyperpak
    Catalinbread Silver Kiss
    Analogman-modded Tubescreamer
    HBE DosMOS
    Foxrox ZIM
    Subdecay Liquid Sunshine
    Tonefactor Cream Pie Deluxe
    Lovepedal Super 6
    Keeley-modded Blues Driver

These are ones that I own (listed in no particular order) that fit the bill. I love a great low-to-medium gain OD.

4. dave s

dave s Member

I'm in kind of a quandry lately. My gig requires I use a Ric 360/12 which has pretty high-output (read: HOT!) pickups. Then, when I strap on the strat, I lose volume and thickness due to the lower output pickups.

Enter RC Boost. As soon as the strat comes out, the RC Boost gets turned on and it stays on all the time with the strat. It fattens the strat tone and adds a bit of 'support' to single note picking, adds a bit of sustain and does a pretty good job of 'equalizing' volume and tone between guitars.

The only thing missing now is a boost for my boost! :NUTS

dave

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I had 3 of the 4 you mentioned this what I can report:

Red Snapper - Original 3 knob model, Added a little brightness (very slight) no compression or mid hump. Would add a lot of gain when cranked however so yo could use it as an overdrive as well. When I used this to boost my Fulldrive I found the Fulldrive to actually sing less when the RS was on, this was not what I wanted so I sold it.

RC Booster - adds a little midrange and some compression. I found the bass and treble controls to exagerate the frequencies too much once set past 12 o'clock. I usually ran the pedal with the Bass and treble around 10 o'clock. Not a lot of gain but some, it also doesn't sound real to me, sounds best when it's used as a booster without the added gain. Believe it or not it is very similar sonically to a Analogman King of Tone but it's not as versitile and doesn't sound quite as sweet. This pedal worked great to boost my Fulldrive but the high end (fakeness) always bothered me so I sold it.

Tim/Timmy - This pedal seems to seperate the individual string tones, I don't know how else to describe it. It adds some sparkle if you set it up this way but the eq is powerful enough that you could pretty much set it up to add a lot of bass or none...the options seem almost endless. I use this pedal as my booster/tone sweetener and leave it on almost all the time. It works great to boost my Fulldrive as Fulldrives have a tendancy to be a little sludgy sounding; the Tim helps clear it up. The Tim/Timmy have a lot of range and can be used for almost anything requiring a boost and light to medium overdrive, it's really a top shelf pedal.

6. Franklin

Franklin Member

I think that most ODs excel at low gain, it's when you crank the gain that the the sterility, fizz, bad decay, etc. seem to come into play. For me it's either my TC Jaugernig DGTM or my Analogman Beano Boost.

7. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

I think the throbak ODB should be in there. Clean to mean. It does this very good

8. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

I saw Nels Cline last night... he used a Lovepedal Eternity for most of his overdriven tones, and it sounded AMAZING.

While I'm sure many very expensive booteek pedals will be mentioned in this thread, don't forget the Digitech Bad Monkey! $50 (or less) new and it fights in the same weight class with just about anything else that'll get mentioned here. I adore mine! (I was adding notes to a set list the other day, and put pedal choice next to songs - mostly Monkey or Rat. A bandmate saw and asked if I was doing a set list or a Chinese New Year calendar)

I also use a Prescription Electronics Germ, but that's mostly as a sort of two-level boost, with the "hot" level carrying a very mild overdrive.

9. erksin

erksin Member

I've tried a ridiculous amount of low gain ODs in the past 3-4 years (close to 30 different ODs I think - I've lost count by now) and these are the top 3 that earned a spot on my board:

Skreddy Screw Driver
    Fabulous pedal - the best for that gritty Ge-flavored drive I've found. Insane picking/volume knob dynamics, sounds incredible pushing other drives, wide variety of uses and tones on tap. It's the most versatile OD I've ever owned.

BJF Honey Bee
    Lots has been said about this one in other threads, but I'm continually blown away by this pedal. It's like Bjorn stuffed a 2-6V6 amplifier in there (and he very well may have under all that goop) - the most dynamically sensitive pedal I've ever owned/tried. Adds a syrupy warmth to the midrange and a nice sparkly presence to the highs.

Cochrane Timmy
    I have both versions (pre and post Tim Gain pot), both are incredible. This is the best pedal I've ever tried for emulating your amp's natural breakup into a clean amp. It doesn't get in the way of your amp's inherent voicing, stacks like no other drive, and is one of the best clean boosts on the market too IMO. It's never left my board in over 3 years of ownership and I wound up building my whole board around it - its that integral to my sound.

10. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

hahaha..:agree and love your idea..can never have to many boosts..just so many different flavors to choose from!

thanks so far some good ones that ive never heard of.so thats great !

the timmy im borrowing this week from another local GPer.so looking forward to that..

saw the silverkiss up there too..have been looking at this guy for a long time now,heck since it came out.can someone describe its drive quality a bit? heard many clips..but like to hear what people think as well.

11. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

In order of amount of gain:
    1. Gaspedals Dumbbell from early breakup to sustain
    2. Lovepedal 8823 Sustain to medium gain
    3. Analogman KOT Sustain to medium+ gain

12. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

My favs for low gain:

Modded Bluesbreaker
    Modded Tube Screamer via Brian Wampler's "Brent Mason" Mod
    Zendrive (no bandwagoning here - the low gain tones of this thing are finger-licking good)
    Small Fry (Powerfully versatile)

13. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

Could not agree more.

Although the Eternity has got quite a lot of gain, I love it as a boost pedal.

14. Joses

Joses Member

Hotcake! It does incredible breakup :AOK

15. loiking

loiking Member

16. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I too am a TIM/Timmy devotee. Paul's pedals have seen off all comers in the low gain transparent-ish area that I've tried and that's been quite a few!

Another one I like for a different flavour is the Telenordia TA-100. A superb all discrete germanium based low gain overdrive.

I still love a Klon for what it does. It's not for everyone but it's got some unique things about it as a clean boost-low gain overdrive.

17. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

+1 on the Tim. Best low gain drive I have IMHO. Also love the NOC3 with humbuckers. I also have an LDO clone with a fat boost switch that does an excellent job.

Surprisingly, a Reutz modded Rat is an excellent lo-gain drive.

18. martinluckhurst

martinluckhurst Member

Roger Mayer Voodoo Blues

Works best out front of an already slightly overdriven amp (like so many pedals of this type).

Great Peter Green/Eric Clapton tones.

ML

19. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

very nice reviews on these..ill add that the RC altough ii do use it and like it alot does something funny with the bass of my tone? i can also see your points as well.thanks for the reviews.

also (my thread on this got buried) but with low gain drives the volume knob is very important as it is driving the signal showing us more "drive" that is easily audible with running such low gain?? anybody care to throw this in the mix?

also despite putting the timmy in my original post its still (usually does) get some props apperently being a low gainer and not owning a timmy is inexcusable;) as i said ill be trying one out this or next week from a fellow GP'er.....cant wait.

20. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

As always, Fatback's playing really shows off what a low-gain pedal can do. The Pull sounds VERY nice from these clips, even into a clean amp.

I had seen this pedal when I was perusing tonefactor.com and wondered what it sounded like. I definitely like what I hear.