low-med gain breakup

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JamonGrande, Jan 6, 2006.

1. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I know there have been similiar threads, but nothing has seemed to be quite what I'm looking for...

Looking for a low-med gain pedal (overdrive, dist, fuzz) that gets a nasty breakup. The Louis amp Sumlin model thread has the tone, but I need it in pedal form. Way bassy, speaker farting kind of tone.

I can get it with my Supro cranked, and sort of hear it with my MAZ cranked. Just looking for it in pedal form for lower volume playing. I almost get it running my UFO into my AC booster with the volume rolled back, but it sounds a little congested and muffled (which is the UFO). Something a little more open/transparent sounding to let my archtop's tone come through better.

I can hear it in the OCD, but too much gain for my taste I think. Maybe the Honey bee, but that's a little pricey for me right now. Possibly the COT50? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

joe

2. Jim Martin

Jim Martin Member

Since the Honey Bee is modelled after a cranked Supro, it would seem to be the obvious choice. It's the best sounding pedal I've heard for low gain touch sensitive sounds.

But you're right: $$$$$.

3. ned911

ned911 Member

What about the Barber LTD or Silver LTD. Seems to be right in the area you are looking for. I've got a Silve LTD on the way for the very same reason.

4. jpagey

jpagey Member

Zen Drive
    Eternity
    CoT 50 Blue
    Barber LTD

all get great low-med od tones.

A Keely Fuzz Head might get you to the "rougher" tones you are seeking.

5. JamonGrande

Solid suggestions! Thank you all so much. I actually tried out the Silver LTD at Tone Merchants (best service I've dealt with, bar none), but couldn't get past the mid boost. My Starfire 3 (all hollow) w/ 'buckers has got tones of mids as it is, any more just gets honky. I recall someone mentioning that the Eternity has a lot of mids as well. Is the COT blue a variation of some sort? The lovepedal site is a little unwieldy, so I'm never sure about variations of Sean's work.

jpagey- have you tried the Fuzz Head? I'll do some research on it. I was thinking some sort of fuzz might be the trick.

If it comes down to the HB, I'll have to wait until March for my next student loan (TA positions don't pay jack!).

joe

6. playon

playon Supporting Member

If you are looking for a kind of honky, woofy blues tone, the COT50 ain't it... the low end is kind of rolled off on that pedal.

7. drolling

drolling Member

The E's mid boost is nothing as heavy as the silver LTD, but it produces a tight, modern sounding overdrive/distortion rather than the tweedy type tones you describe in your first post. Zendrive's got a substantial midboost - so many ODs do.

I've got a few cool sounding fuzzes, but none that clean up enough to be called overdrive.

I'd bite the bullet and go for the HoneyBee. It really does do exactly what you described and if you don't like it, you could flip it in the emporium in about 5 minutes

8. jpagey

jpagey Member

Yup, I have a Fuzz head, very early one. I really like it for rougher sounds -- it can have quite a bark, or boosting other pedals when the gain is set low.

9. JamonGrande

Just checked out a HAO Sole Pressure. Interesting. With the drive 1-2 3/4 up set to the Warm setting, it can get close to my Supro sound at a decent volume: bassy, kind of dark but not exactly congested like a fuzz. Switching to the bright switch got some air back into the sound, but not completely. Cranked, it got a little fuzzy, which I actually kind of liked. When the Supro is cranked and hit with a boost, it can get a little fuzzy as well, so I didn't mind it so much

Big downsides, not very touch sensitive, there was a definitely point where a bright fizziness would kick in. almost an on/off sort of vibe i felt. Also, definitely had a pedal tone to it at low volumes. I'll have to really put it through some paces when I find a used one. Don't think I would pay full price. I can see how someone looking for a straight-forward drive would not be entirely happy with it. Still, has a character I may be able to work with.

thanks to all for the suggestions
    joe

10. muddy

muddy Member

i just got this today:

[​IMG]
    http://www.proanalog.com/

the dirt royale w/cheez. the 1st channel (cheez off) has got to be one of the best low-med gain drives i've ever heard. it's very responsive in the way the honey bee is in that you dig in, it bites back. it's still early days, but this is one damn great (and versatile) distortion (which is kinda misleading; it's SO amplike in response), and kickin' the fuzz/cheez in gives you fuzz WITH CLARITY! and to all you'ze guyz who've sold your dual drives, did YOU make a BIG mistake... kick in the dd's clean drive channel before the dr, and you've got tommy iommi for DAYZ!!! with NO noize or whistling, just huge, controllable feedback, searing leads & massive chords! but for all you guys who live for low-med gain drives, you are really gonna dig the 1st ch of this one, i know it.

ml

11. eric-d

eric-d Member

Expandora..... I love it.... It does it all... :D