Low/medium output pickups for a 7 string

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by csacwp, Aug 31, 2014.

1. csacwp

csacwp Member

I'm looking for humbuckers to put into my alder-bodied 7-string super strat to nail some pretty specific tones (see the lead tones and the harmonics and the link). Anybody got suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS9xsPVxJz0

2. matte

matte Senior Member

3. csacwp

csacwp Member

What about Lollar Imperials?

4. matte

matte Senior Member

i had a pair of jason's low wind imperials in my 7 string les paul, about 9 years ago. they sounded/felt great. i replaced them with custom wound wolfetones, which are still in there.

[​IMG]

5. csacwp

csacwp Member

I'm definitely considering BKs, mainly the Emeralds. I've sent them a message, and I've also messaged Wolfetone. I think it will come down to Wolfetone, Mojotone, Lollar, or BK... so many choices :eeks I've always been a high-output guy, but I've finally grown sick of the mediocre cleans and lack of dynamics...

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Ordered an HSS set from Klein that will be arriving on Wednesday....I'll give an impression as soon as they get here.

The HB is wound to his Wicked PAF spec. I went with him because there just aren't a whole lot of winders making 7-string Strat single coils (which I'm getting for neck / middle - wound as Jazzy Cats).

He's been very good to communicate with, and it only took him a week to wind the set. Looking forward to giving them a run.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  7. stealthtastic

stealthtastic Member

I had a set of Emeralds in a basswood Universe, sounded great. The VHII + Rebel Yell combo is nice too.

8. cardinal

cardinal Member

Don't overlook Dimazio's PAF7 and Air Norton 7. Both are great IMHO. The PAF has really nice "chime" and sparkle to it and, I think, is very dynamic. The Air Norton is darker, but very "solid" sounding for lack of a better term. You can fine tune the tone by swapping magnets around. A5 will help smooth out the PAF7 if it's too bright for you. A2 will do so even more. A5 will round off the Air Norton as well if you want it.

9. craigoslo

craigoslo Member

I bet you there is a jazz HB that would fit the bill. Maybe from Bennedetto?

10. rummy

rummy Member

+1 on the PAF7/AN7.

11. robmarch

robmarch Member

that is a nice looking guitar. I've followed a bunch of your 7's, but I don't remember seeing this one before.

12. csacwp

csacwp Member

Wolfetone says they no longer make 7's because they can't make good enough bobbins. How did you find the low-wind imperials? Could they cover a lot of ground, say all the way to 80s heavy metal (no modern tones) and shred assuming you use a high gain amp and overdrive?

13. mwhy

mwhy Member

14. chrisforshage

chrisforshage Member

15. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

I have Lollar Low-Wind Imperials in my Soloway 7.
    I think they're the first set of 7s Jason ever made.
    Sweet, sweet pickups.

In this guitar.