Low Pass Filter... exp. pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nashvillesteve, Oct 9, 2006.

1. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

OK, call me stupid, but I want a Low Pass Filter.

I have an Emma Discumbobulator, but it doesn't do the LPF sounds... it does sound great, though. There's an LPF on my POG, but it's just a slider.

I really want it on an expression pedal. I know the HOG can do this, which is simply what I'll get if there's not a less expensive or easy DIY option.

If not on an expression pedal for the actual effect, at least an expression pedal that controls the Q...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the super deluxe dunlop crybaby with a Q control won't go down to LPF type range, right?

Having foot control of the LPF like on the POG would be awesome for synth sounds, especially with the $10 Arion pedal that can easily be modded to be an 8 bit fuzz. If it was in an envelope, that would be great.

Does all this add up to where I should just get a HOG? Lovetone Meatball and original/clone Mutron seems to have this, but not the Emma- it just does an awsome up/down envelope auto-wah filter thing- no LPF. What about the Q-tron or Q-tron+? I think the HOG may be the best solution, unfortunately it's a bit pricey, but fortunately I would like many, if not all, of the features.

Thanks,

-Steve

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I'm confused. Q is usually associated with second-order filters, not first-order filters. A low-pass filter is a first-order filter. Do you want to control the filter frequency? Maybe you mean resonance?

The Moog LPF lets you control most of the knobs on the face of the unit via an expression pedal. I think you can control the filter frequency, the resonance of the filter, the mix of the filter to dry sound, and the amount of attack that opens the filter with the expression pedal.

I have the Moog and highly recommend it.

Bryan

3. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

OK, found the manual... one of the controls:

"WIDTH- This control is used to change the bandwidth of the filter, in order to mimic different kinds of wah pedals. Low Q turn left, high Q turn right. Normally this control would be used in this range: [picture of WIDTH control set at about 2:45]"

I don't recall much sound coming out of it when the width was turned all the way to the left... I'll try it out more when I get home from work (and two 2nd job interviews today- YEESH!)...

-Steve

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

What do those MOOG filters run for? $225?

Is there some switch down there on the pedal that lets you select which control is on the expression pedal? Any way to foot-toggle that? Prolly not, but I'll still look into it...

5. KustietheKlown

KustietheKlown Member

Frostwave Resonator with VC pedal will do the trick.

6. jbro

jbro Member

Get the moog, I think you'll be happy.. worst case you can resell it and lose little or no $ because they hold their value well. I have the 535Q too, and with the "Q" control down it's just a non-resonant bandpass filter. The moog does the synth filter sounds 10x better than the HOG too. I thought I would be able to ditch the moog LP when I got my HOG, but no way.

As for the exp pedal control.. there are individual 1/4" jacks for each of the knobs on the unit. It's meant to take multiple pedals, but I built a pedalboard that allows me to do just what you want - switch what function the pedal controls in real time. Basically a loop box that routes the signal between the pedal and any of the jacks.

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I imagine WOBO could make me a relay-based box that could toggle one expression pedal between all the jacks... Awesome.

BTW, check THIS out... har

8. Bryan T

I think the Moog LPF sells for around $260, but you can get a used one for a bit less. You'd also need an expression pedal or two.

There isn't a switch to select what an expression pedal controls. There are several different jacks on the back of the pedal for the different expression pedal (or, more generally, control voltage) inputs. You might be able to rig an A/B switch to switch up what you are controlling, but it would probably be easier to just use two expression pedals if you want to control both the resonance and the filter frequency.

I'm still unclear about what you want to control. Do you want to vary the resonance of the filter at a fixed frequency? That might be a pretty subtle effect. Most of the "synthy" sounds you hear are from varying the frequency of the filter, particularly with the resonance set fairly high.

Bryan

P.S. Good luck with the job hunt.

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

If you click on the myspace link in my signature, listen to the song "Mad Analog Synth Guitar"... On that track, I play a loop and adjust the LPF slider on the POG from bottom to top, it sounds like the "Have A Cigar" effects (slightly resembling, anyway). When the LPF slider is at the bottom, there is no sound (as all frequencies are above the cutoff), I want to control the rising of the cutoff I guess, essentially forming a low-hi "attack" on the pedal.

EDIT: myspace seems to have "lost" that song, it keeps saying "error downloading music," does it work for anybody else? Stupid myspace.

10. Bryan T

That is the filter frequency. That is a typical way that people use the low pass filter. Putting it after a fuzz makes for a great "synthy" effect.

It didn't work for me.

Bryan

11. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Have you experimented much with the Emma?

It took me a while to find the right settings, but the sensitivity was the key for me. If you feed the Discumbobulator a strong signal, and the sensitivity threshold is set too low, all you get is the extreme high, or low, depending on the switch setting. If you set it too low, the opposite extreme is all you get. If it is set just right, you can control the filter effect just by how hard or soft you pick.

What I found is that I needed to get the sensitivity close, and then fine tune with the volume control on the guitar. After that, the width of the filter sweep can be set with Width, as can the reaction time with Attack.

I hope this helps.

-jm

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I think I like it best with the sensitivity at 3 o'clock, and then the other two knobs somewhere close to there (up and down change the sound, but that's my sweet spot "area").

I suppose if I got the Moogerfooger Low Pass Filter, I'd be pretty well equipped without the HOG unit.

This is what I've got for crazy sounds so far:

Emma Discumbobulator
    E-H POG
    Boss HR-2
    Thomas Organ Wah
    Deluxe Moon Phaser
    Guyatone VT-X tube driven tremolo
    Boss RC-20 Loop Station
    CompROSSor/ToneFactor Orange Squeezer comp clones
    E-H Deluxe Memory Man
    Leslie 120 cabinet
    DeArmond 1620 volume pedal

I'm seriously thinking about ordering the Arion Tubulator and doing the 2 or 4 point soldering/connecting mod that turns it into a $10 8-bit fuzz, I've got a soldering iron and some solder.

Then a LPF and maybe the new ToneFactor ring modulator whne it's out....