Low power combo for low volume blues gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JimEff, Feb 25, 2012.

1. JimEff

JimEff Member

I'm looking for an inexpensive low-power combo for very low volume blues gigs. Not bedroom volume, but pretty low. Cocktail lounge type volumes where the audience doesn't have to scream at each other to converse. $300 - $500. No pedals, no pods, no attenuators. Just a grab 'n go plug-straight-in combo. SRV-ish tones would be a good guideline but I don't care about nailing the SRV tone.

I tried the Vox AC4 and didn't like it but it had been used and abused on the GC showroom floor.

The VHT Special 6 Ultra looks interesting but I can't find one to demo and I think it might be geared more towards hard rock. But maybe the lesser gain settings can get a nice bluesy overdrive?

Any comments about the VHT, or other suggestions?

2. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

3. JimEff

JimEff Member

Pedals required, no?

4. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

No, it's great for plugging straight in and you can get light to heavier breakup/overdrive from 3 and up on the volume, with humbuckers, then use the guitar's volume/tone knobs. I generally keep my C5 set to 6, BMT full, and roll my guitar's volume knob for varying levels of grit and gain. You should definitely play around with one in a music store, check it out.

5. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Supporting Member

I just got a Fender Vibro-Champ XD. I'm actually in the car on my way back from Sam Ash with it in the trunk. I play blues and it's a loud 5 watts with tube amplifier section and a surprisingly good DSP effects bank that's not like a computer. Some of the 16 voicings aren't great but the stock blackface is great for blues. I got mine for $150 on clearance brand new.