Low resale value on Ibanez RGAs Why?

edgarallan

Hey guys I recently played an entry-level Ibanez RGA at the local big box store and I liked it enough to consider buying a higher-end model. I noticed they had some used as well at less than half the price. WTH? We are talking about guitars with Bare Knuckle or Dimarzio Titans yet they go for so much less used. Why do you think is that?

I don't want to plunk $899 only to find my guitar is now worth $579.

Jabby92

From my experience, almost all Ibanez guitars have terrible re-sale value. Seems like the only ones that hold decent value is the JEM (the real one, not Junior) and the J.Custom stuff they make I've seen go for good prices. The MIJ RG550s and stuff are also decent for re-sale, but not amazing either. The Prestige stuff varies as well it seems and the bottom really falls out of the Premium line. I think a lot of this is because Ibanez continually re-creates the same models and discontinue others a lot.

As for the RGA, it has a few things going against it. Its sort of an 'inbetween' model and lacks identity since its not an RG or JEM type model but sort of its own thing. Sort of goes for a more ergonomic approach and neck thru design (not sure if the newest ones are neck-thru).

cap10kirk

That's how it is with anything to an extent. If you buy it new, as soon as you leave the store with it, the value is going to be reduced significantly. If you're worried about resale value, don't buy anything new...if you just want something new, expect it to immediately take a big hit in value. This applies to guitars, cars, electronics, etc...pretty much everything, unless it's a limited edition collectible item.

ixnay

From my experience, almost all Ibanez guitars have terrible re-sale value.
This has been my experience as well. I've purchased MIJ/Prestige Ibanez at blowout prices close to 50% off in the past, and when I sold them a year or two later, I still sold them at a loss. There are some exceptions, but for the most part I wouldn't get a new Ibanez with the intention of selling it later at a minimal loss.

Hey guys I recently played an entry-level Ibanez RGA at the local big box store and I liked it enough to consider buying a higher-end model. I noticed they had some used as well at less than half the price. WTH? We are talking about guitars with Bare Knuckle or Dimarzio Titans yet they go for so much less used. Why do you think is that?

Because it's a used guitar, and used guitars typically lose a pretty large chunk off the new price in terms of resale value. It's the reason why many, many people just always buy used guitars (me included). It has nothing to do with Ibanez having low resale value or the quality, the resale value on Ibanez guitars isn't any lower than resale value on most of their competitors (Jackson, Schecter, etc).

Just buy the used one, make sure you don't pay more than market value, and you'll probably be able to sell it for what you paid if you decide to part with it.

Jon C

Gold Supporting Member

welcome to supply and demand, retail vs. Used. :idea

sunking101

No more than you'd lose on a brand new Gibson LP Standard. They sell for £2k and you'd struggle to get more than £1400 the moment you walk out of the shop door.

Tim Plains

I hate to break it to you but losing $300 on a new guitar is nothing. Try spending $6,500 on a new Gibson 59 and see how well you do there.

Cam1936

$579 is 65% of $899. Pretty typical depreciation on excellent to mint condition mainstream guitars. Some brands are 50% drop right out the door and 40% with a couple scuffs.

Don't like the drop? Buy used.

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Typically Ibanez resale is low but that goes both ways. My RGT3120 listed for $1900 new. Found mine in excellent condition 3 years old for $850. Still had the plastic on the back covers. Its a keeper though. Neck thru, nice flame top, Lo Pro trem, and one of the few RG's to have a substantial(for an RG neck) On a plus side they seem to be holding around $900 now...

Trending Topics