Low serial numbers and resale value

I’ve noticed a lot of ad copy on pre-owned, new and NOS gear listings using the term “low serial number” as a selling point. Personally, I view that as empty filler to entice a buyer to make a purchase, kind of like saying “The best guitar I’ve ever played/owned.” Most guitars for sale are the best someone has ever owned, which is ironic. Apparently people don’t like keeping such inspiring pieces.

Anyway, is there a reason to purchase an item with a lower serial number as opposed to the same exact item with a higher number, or is it purely out of false, personally perceived value that makes a seller attach this kind of empty copy in their listing?

I have never let it sway me, but I see it more and more.

Any thoughts?

rummy

Silver Supporting Member
Having low serial number means nothing to me. As you said, it's just another way to embellish your sales ad.

It's a collector thing.
I can understand that. I guess I'm more referring to something like an everyday item like a Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet or Fender HotRod Deville thats made in the USA. I mean, are those considered collector pieces? I can see at least for the amp that it might carry some weight due to the fact that the HR amp line is no longer made stateside, but it isn't exactly hard to find American-made, 90s-era Hot Rod amps.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
I would think a guitar with a higher serial number of the same model would have all the production bugs worked out, etc.

I would think a guitar with a higher serial number of the same model would have all the production bugs worked out, etc.
Fair enough. I'm not sure how it would apply to something like a Les Paul though, since they've technically been doing the same thing, roughly, for years.

I agree though on something like a pedal, especially one that is very involved and accepts updates.

groovington

I think it's mostly a collector thing. If it's written in the ad, I'm sure the buyers aren't reading and saying to themselves, "Oh this is the one I have to have; it's got a low serial number!" So if whomever is writing the ad, if it floats their boat, and they think it's gonna help their sale or value, what's the big deal that they chose to type those 3 words. When can it matter? If a product has a reputation for some changes throughout it's production, it may be good to identify certain specs. Or I guess in the case of early vintage Strats and Les Pauls, it may be cool to have one of the earliest in production.... I guess all I'm trying to say is let the sellers brag about their low serial number. If the buyer finds use in it, that's great! But it's mostly unlikely.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I'm a little unsure. I've got a first year EVH, and those are worth more than the later ones (perhaps because it's thought that Peavey took more care with them?). I've also to PRS CE24 #3 ever. I'm hoping that's worth something to someone, someday ;)

Trending Topics