Low volume fizzy sound - PS-1? Speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Thilo278, Aug 1, 2020 at 8:07 AM.

1. Thilo278

Thilo278 Member

Hi all,
    I have a problem when I pair my Komet 60 with my Power Station (PS-1) when I want low volume. The amp is played with the volume at 12 to 1 o'clock, so is plenty loud without the power station. Now when I reduce the volume below a certain point (which is not bedroom volume but lower rehearsal room volume) the amp starts sounding fizzy and unpleasant. As soon as I increase the volume just a bit above a certain point the amp sounds amazing again but already almost too high volume again.
    I am not sure if this is because of the power station or maybe even because of the speakers that don't like too low volume. I use a 2x12 d-style cab with g12-65 heritages.

Does anyone have experience with that?
    I think the one to blame is the power station, honestly, as when I reduce the amp volume going into the load with another attenuator between the amp and power station, it sounds better.
    The PS-1 does not have a Pad switch. Maybe some kind of "pad device" in the loop of the PS could help?

2. FOTM704

FOTM704 Member

I use to pair my Low Powered K60 with a PS2 as well as a Boss TAE and I definitely noticed some artifacts in the tone that sounded unpleasant to me, specifically a fizzy decay when letting certain notes ring out. I narrowed it down to when the volume knob on the Komet was between 10 and 1 o’clock, mostly when playing at bedroom levels, and was worse when the amp was cold (was a lot better after the amp had been warming up for 20 min). My solution was to let the amp warm up a good bit and keep the volume knob up around 1 or 2 o’clock.

What tubes are you using in the Komet?

Thilo278 likes this.
  3. Thilo278

Thilo278 Member

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Actually I don't know for preamp tubes, I would have to have a look. I think a Sovtek is in V1, the rest I don't know. In the power amp I have el34 =C=s.

I have a feeling that the power station just does not like when the volume pot is near its minimum. I will try to use the pad switch of a DI Box in between the line out and line in of the PS as the hi/lo switch of the PS-2 and see what this will do.
    I once had a Ceriatone OTS that also sounded a bit like this when under a certain volume (though that was much quieter already). That's why I thought of the volume pot or the speaker. The Komet sounds great again as soon as I turn up the volume on the PS-1, therefore I don't think it is the Komet to blame. Nevertheless, I will try your suggestion with the settings of the Komet. Could make an improvement.

4. FOTM704

FOTM704 Member

5. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

I don't have any experience with the Power Station, So I'm sorry to say I'm of no help here.

FOTM704 likes this.
  6. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I have an amp that does this too (not a Komet), and it also improves after time playing it.