Low Watt Amp Attenuator Opinion Needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RedPlating, Apr 5, 2015.

1. RedPlating

RedPlating Member

Since my 2204 is way too loud for my condo and was itching for a lower wattage amp....I have a new Marshall Offset nmv 1 watt amp in route:

[​IMG]

Will probably get an attenuator to tone down the volume a bit as my condo has thin walls and have to work around a sleeping baby at times. Supposedly these amps compare to a very loud cranked stereo when full tilt and I also have a 2x12 vintage 30's cabinet that will increase the loudness a bit.

Is there any tonal difference between a 15w and 25w attenuator?

I was looking at the weber 15w micromass and 25w minimass and was wondering if the 15w unit would sound better at heavy attenuation due to it being closer in wattage to the amp.

2. Darth Federer

Darth Federer Member

Nice pick up. That's highly unfortunate you'll need to attenuate a 1-watt amp. I run my JTM1 through a Marshall 2061 2x12 and the Custom Offset through a Two-Rock 1x12. Both can be pretty loud on the 1-watt setting but when you hit the built in .1 watt setting then it's pretty tame. Still sounds great though. Good luck. Hope the attenuator doesn't hurt your tone too much.

3. RedPlating

RedPlating Member

Well I haven't received it yet but from what I've heard the .1 watt is really low volume (late night playing) and at full blast can get surprisingly loud.

An attenuator would give me the option of getting those between volumes the amp can't do without a master volume.

Does the .1 watt setting sound very compressed?

4. Darth Federer

Darth Federer Member

I wouldn't say it's overly compressed. Slightly more than the 1-watt setting maybe. You lose some of the warm richness of the clean tone and some bass in the .1 watt setting though. The overdrive sounds great in both modes. I usually run it clean on 1-watt and hit it with pedals for late night but in my robustly built condo I can crank it in .1 watt at 3:00am and still be okay.

5. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I have a 50w Weber MiniMASS that I've been using with my Reeves Custom 12 PS, Fargen Micro Plex, and Fargen Townhouse 5w. The wattage rating, as far as I can tell, has nothing to do with how the attenuator will sound with your amp. The only bearing it has is on which amps it can be used with. I saw somewhere that it was recommended to use an attenuator rated at double the wattage of the amplifier, but this was only a suggestion and not imperative. I decided on the 50w MiniMASS in case I ever wanted to use it on an amp with more watts. Personally, I think they work great and I highly recommend them. Hope this helps.

6. RedPlating

RedPlating Member

I would only be using .1 watt for overdrive when lower volume is needed, it's reassuring to hear both modes sound good.

Too bad they didn't make the .1 watt mode adjustable in range that would be a nice improvement imo.

7. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Time for a Zvex Nano Amp or a D-18.

8. RedPlating

RedPlating Member

Thanks for clearing that up will go with a higher wattage attenuator so can use with other amps. Probably will go with Weber Minimass but other units have some pretty cool features.

Have to admit the Bad Cat Unleash caught my attention being able to boost the 1 watt amp up to 50-100 watts. That would be a nice (pricey) option to have when jamming with another guitarist and drummer.

9. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I have an Offset 1w rig. I would suggest buying a Marshall flavored pedal instead of an attenuator. You don't want to attenuate the .1w mode, IMHO. If the idea is to get crunchy tones at whisper levels, you'll get way better tones with a pedal. I use a Lovepedal Super lead pedal and the level pot lets me get way crunchy tones at lower sound levels than the amp is capable of producing on its own.