Low Watt EL34 Boutique Amp to cover Classic Rock & Blues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by redplexi, Sep 30, 2005.

1. redplexi

redplexi Member

EL34 Amp with Master volume, or low Wattage to cover Hendrix, Trower, ZZ Top, Walsh, ETC. Looking for a amp that is very responsive and transparent, that will get Clean and dirty tones. One that is good with Single Coils and humbucking pickups. Looking for something that is useable at normal volumes.

Input greatly appreciated.

Basically a Versitile Plexi Style amp. That can get great tone at lower Volumes.

2. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I'm confused, do you want Master Volume, low wattage, or both?

If MV isn't that important... Aiken Invader or Intruder 30.

3. redplexi

redplexi Member

Either or Master volume or Low wattage. Just need an amp that can get good tone at a decent volume. Small Clubs and recording applications.

4. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

If you don't desparately need EL34s, there's also an 18W Invader and Intruder. Absolutely killer amps...

5. redplexi

redplexi Member

I'm realy looking for that "Plexi Type el34" Sound. I love 84's, but for this Gig I'm looking for a El34 amp.

6. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

The 30s are 34s. Check 'em out. Killer, killer amps.

7. redplexi

redplexi Member

Are they discontinued, or is Randall still making them. I'll check the used market.

8. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

They're discontinued now. They were pretty labor-intensive, and Randall just didn't have time to keep making them despite their popularity. I think that was the reason he gave, but I can't swear by it...

9. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Do yourself a favor and get in touch with Ron Ott, ask him about his Sineva head. It's exactly what you are looking for with the exception of the master volume. It's a low powered EL34 amp, it's the tonal equivalent of a fine bottle of wine, but it rocks. It's very touch sensitive, becomes whatever your fingers want it to become, a damn fine and select amp. You will be very happy with the Sineva.

10. jdsgilmour

jdsgilmour Suffering from chronic gearitis Gold Supporting Member

+1 for the Invader 30!!! :dude

I've got one and it absolutely rocks. Everything from Jimi to AC/DC. Throw a pedal in front of it and you've got VH to GNR to Metallica. Best master volume I have ever heard, and I've had a few of them. Randall has stopped making them but you can find them on the used market for relatively cheap money (for a top notch boutique amp, that is). Also, check Midtown Music in Georgia. They had a few NOS a couple months ago. Randall's amps are phenomenal. I'm looking to pick up a few more once I get some cash.

John

11. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Pedal for the Invader? That's weird... mine will do very high gain if you ask it to.

12. jdsgilmour

jdsgilmour Suffering from chronic gearitis Gold Supporting Member

Perhaps you and I have different definitions of very high gain. Don't get me wrong, the Invader is capable of some searing tones. But every once in a while I like to push it over the top (like tonight with both dark and bright channels dimed and my Menatone Fish Factory -- never ending sustain and feedback).

John

13. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

14. meterman

meterman Member

Definitely check out the TopHat Emplexador. 50w from 2xEL34s but with one of the best MVs I've heard, and capable of a very wide range of killer Marshally tones from JTM45 cleans to Plexi crunch up to JCM800 gain or a little higher. Vintage and Modern gain modes, boost/normal and Fat/Treble switches and a well voiced EQ make this an extremely versatile amp. Sounds great with all my guitars too, all kinds of pickups. At this point it's probably my favorite amp I've ever played, absolutely killer, extremely well built and a very good value on the used market as well.

Here are some pretty good clips:

http://amazingtone.com/generic4.html

15. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

+1

Great amp!

16. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

Matchless Clubman for Plexi or for something a little different the Phoenix or the DR Z 6545.

17. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

+1

18. Luke V

Luke V Member

Check out the Orange Rocker 30 combo, class A 30 watt el 34 amp. Kind of a cross between Marshall and Vox, very touch sensitive and works well with the volume control on the guitar. Very sweet high end. I've had mine for about a month now and I'm loving it.
    Good Luck

19. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

Carr Mercury or Fuchs Lucky 7

20. aroman

aroman Member

I have had the MiniPlex and MightyPlex.
    I recommend the Top Hat Emplexador.