low watt head cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dolecek, Apr 8, 2015.

1. dolecek

dolecek Member

I ply rock/metal and been wanting a tube amp. How would this sound, a hughes and kettner head and a blackstar 1x12? I live in an apartment so low watt fits me good especially since I will never play out, no desire...my budget is 400- so that is why i chose blackstar.What do you think?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

That cabinet has a Celestion Seventy 80 which doesn't get a lot of love. Is that your budget for the amp and cabinet or just the cabinet?

For $20 more at GC you could get an Egnater Tweaker 1 x 12 which has Celestion G12H-30, which I think you'll find is a much better speaker.

3. ballynally

ballynally Member

The Egnator tweaker is very good. With a Celestion greenback would be classic. But i would opt for a Traynor DH15 with greenback.
    To listen here:https://soundcloud.com/ballynally/traynor-dh-15-epi-lp-black

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I was just talking about the cabinet. For just apartment use I'd probably go with a Fender Mustang or Peavey Vypyr or similar.

5. dolecek

dolecek Member

400-500 is my budget for both

6. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Member

How about a jet city 22h and a jca12s cab? Last I heRd, MF was blowing out the JCA 22H for $299. The cab is about $150 and is of very high quality. Fits the bill for your needs.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

At the risk of incurring my stalker's wrath, I'll suggest you look at the Peavey Valveking II combo. It has built in attenuation and a pretty good metal sound to its distortion.

8. ballynally

ballynally Member

Q: why a tube amp if it's just for your apartment instead of solid state? There are hybrids out there. ss with a tube power end (like Vox ac4) Anyway, if you go tube you don't need more than 5w. There are many small amps out there. My suggestion is that you don't spend over the top for a cabinet and speaker. A combo is handy. I like EL84 based amps (vox again (1 tube) or Fender pro Junior (2). And i would go for a 10 inch speaker. Much better performance on low levels.

9. yamhenliu

yamhenliu Member

I think you'll find is a much better speaker.[​IMG]