Low watt hi gain head. Soldano Astroverb?

edcat

Am looking for a 15-20 watt hi gain head. Am thinking about the Soldano Astroverb but have also considered a Friedman Pink Taco. Anybody have any experience with these amps? Or any other suggestions? Don't want to pay more than 1K used and I play a Strat. with single coils.

weaksauce

I have a Soldano Astroverb Combo and it's high gain in the 80's Rock vein, not really a modern metal kind of tone, IMO. But man it sounds pretty good a low volumes and when it's loud it can really roar.

cnardone

I had an astroverb. Gain 1-2 o'clock. Volume around 2 o'clock and it was glorious. I really liked it for lead work. Rolling back the gain gave usable cleanish tones. So lots of usable tones in there.

Two issues for me.
1) no matter what guitar I used, rolling the guitar volume back to play rhythm turned to mud.( PRS C24, PRS McCarty, LP, G&L Legacy Special)
2) The amp was awesome with a LP and even better with a Custom 24. But I could not dial out a harshness I had with a G&L Legacy Special in the bridge & bridge/Middle positions.

I don't own it anymore, but at times I real wish I did.

jlb32

Maybe check out the Soldano Atomic or Jet City JCA20 also. They are in the same realm as the Astroverb.

Hamer95USA

I have a Soldano Astroverb 16 1x12 combo amp with a Celestion Greenback. Great sounding rock amp for me. Yes, it does the '80s rock. Throw an overdrive pedal in front of it for leads and you're good to go. Like anything else, try it with your guitar before you buy it to see if the sound works for you. Not all amps match up with certain guitars and vice versa.

Guitar George

Bentayuk

Seriously, the Jet City JCA 20 is based on the Astroverb and is excellent. It can be had for a few hundred dollars, and you won't be disappointed.
Highly recommended.

Trending Topics