Low watt plexi tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Custom, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Custom

Custom Member

I'm looking at a couple of options for a low power plexi-toned amp. I have a Rockytop 18 112 and like it, but it is a little loose and lacking definition on the bass end. I'm not sure if it's the open back cab or just the nature of the amp. I'd also like a little more clean headroom. I've thought about a Ceriatone 36 watt or mabe a 2061 clone. Anyone have any reports on either the Ceriatone versions of these or others? The downside of the 2061 circuit seems to be lack of eq on the amp (the 36 watter has a tmb channel) and maybe lack of headroom, although Ive not played one to know (no one around here has either amp to demo). Also, has anyone power scaled either of these? Are they better/worse suited for PS than other amps? Thanks.

2. soldano16

soldano16 Member

You might want to look at the new model of the Fargen mini plexi

It's power scaled.

3. fjam82

fjam82 Member

trinity 18 watt plexi

4. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

The Fargen Mini-Plexi that I've got has a TMB circuit. . .It's just the way Ben builds them. Also, I've got mine in a combo with a Weber Blue Dog speaker and it sounds great.

Now, I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I'm sure that the RockyTop 18 is a whole lot of amp. Maybe you should try changing speakers, as they can completely change the sound of the amp. If you're not getting the bass response you like, maybe going to a different speaker would be the answer.

Finally (whew!). . .The Fargen is more like a vintage Marshall than a modded Marshall. I'm not sure what the problem is, but that might have something to do with it. I'm thinking that it's just the nature of the amp. My Fargen is an open back combo with Blue Dog speaker that breaks up early, because that's the sound that I want with that amp.

5. Custom

Custom Member

Thanks for the replies so far. The other issue, besides a loose bottom end,is lack of headroom. I obviously don't expect or want Fender cleans, but there just isn't much headroom on the amp. I think that is a characteristic of them. Does the Fargen have much? Is it loud enough to gig? I've thought about making the Rockytop into a head and have a Mojo 212 slant cab on the way. I'm going to try the amp through a closed back cab first to see what I get.

6. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Headroom and an 18 watt amp don't fit into the same sentence.You need the 36 watt to get the headroom you want.With the TMB you can get some grind at lower volumes as well.
    So you want headroom and power scaling too?
    Because the 18 watter is cathode biased,it has a looser bottom end than a plexi which is fixed bias.Now take the 18 watt and make it fixed bias,add a choke and it will tighten up the bottom end and add headroom.But then it's a different amp.I rather like an 18 watt with fixed bias and a choke.tighter,louder and more punch.

7. Custom

Custom Member

Is the 2061 fixed or cathode biased? I've heard that they are tighter than the standard 18. I'm looking for power scaling so I can run it at lower volumes but with power tube saturation. My Rockytop has PS and I am very pleased with this aspect of it. Does anyone build a fixed-bias 18 watter with PS? I'm intrigued by this. I started out looking at the Ceriatone 36 because it is switchable to 18. Something like this with PS sounded like what I was looking for but maybe I also need to be looking for something with a fixed bias?

8. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

You should talk with Ben Fargen about doing his new Mini Plex Mk2 as a Mighty Plex. Get your headroom back (40 watts or so) and still have the power scaling and all the other features.

For my needs the Mini Plex is absolutely perfect. Really ... perfect. But if I gigged regularly (haven't in years) I would go with the Mighty without a second thought.

9. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

+10, My Mighty Plex Mk2 shipped on Thursday! Should be here in the next week or two. I had the Mini and it was a great amp, I would be happy with either the Mini or the Mighty, I just expect to do some gigging and wanted the extra headroom of the Mighty Mk2. The Mini/Mighty Mk2 has surprisingly nice clean tones! It can also do the Marshall grind with the best of them!

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

Another choice is the Reeves Custom 30 for a blend of Hiwatt JTM 45 tones.
    Also power scaled.

Also check out the Category 5 Andrew

11. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

I just found the perfect solution to this, after much trying. Take a Germino Lead 55 (regular or low-voltage version) swap out the El-34's for JJ6V6s, and put the whole thing in a Germino 1x12 combo cab. You're looking at a 25 watt version of a plexi that doesn't sacrifice clean headroom at all, has big bottom end, and is totally usable at rehearsal/small gig volumes. It really is a small plexi in a box.

Check one out, seriously.

Steve

12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Those jj 6v6's are like yellow jackets that actually sound good. Having a 6v6 tube that can take 500 volts opens so many possibilities to tame any 40-50 watt 6l6 or el-34 amp.

13. Brock

Brock Member

Aiken Tomcat has an attenuator built in and has HUGE thump for only 12 watts. Very loud and full sounding amp that has great tone.

14. Cambian Dawn

Cambian Dawn Member

I'm after the same thing and have narrowed my search down to the "Ultimate Tube Amp". A couple of people on here have one and apparently its a great little amp that nails the marshall non-mv sound.

This isn't so much a recommendation as I haven't played one, but its worth a look.

Other than that, Frenzel do various low-watt (25+) plexi-style amps with a number of extras. Also, they seem very reasonable for the build quality - all hand soldered, true PTP wiring and lots of favourable reviews.

15. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

You might want to check out Brown Note, GDS, Trinity, and Gabtone as well. They all do a spin on the 18 watt thing.

16. Custom

Custom Member

Thanks for the replies. The Germino, while I'm sure a great amp, isn't power scaled. With the various 18 watters I 'm not sure I'll be any better off than with my Rockytop, i.e., no headroom and loose bottom end. The Miniplex is intriguing and I've thought about the Reeves, too,

17. sustain440

sustain440 Member

Love my Trinity 18 plexi. I''ve never had more compliments on my tone than I have in the 3 months I've had this amp.

18. Kitarist

Kitarist Supporting Member

you got any links for that trinity amp

19. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

I don't think all 18 watters have no headroom and a loose bottom end.

Especially considering that the cab and speaker is a huge part of this equation.

I would try a closed back cab and maybe some other ways of working with the amp before giving up on it. If you just buy something expecting to fix these issues you may find you are right where you started, just that your pockets are a bit lighter.

20. 56_Special

56_Special Member

If you're looking for low watt plexi tone, I don't think that an 18 watt Marshall type of thing is really what you're looking for. They are cool amps for sure and they have their own thing going. Not much like a plexi to me. I like the Reeves Custom Lead. It gets that big plexi sound at basically any wattage due to power scaling.