low watt tube amps with recording outs?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by slowburn, Aug 22, 2006.

1. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

am I asking too much, should I even bother with trying to find a good sounding low watt tube amp with a recording out or should I just get a line 6 guitar port / toneport?

2. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

I would take a look at the Tech 21 trademark 30. It's SS but its all analog which should count for something. (first post, yay)

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Why not just get a good speaker emulator or iso cab?

4. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

Agreed, I don't think using a recording out is going to get you any tone worth having. Go for a Palmer or other similar device if you don't want to fool with micing speakers. You could also use a line out signal to something like the cab simulators in a POD or Guitar Rig, Amplitube etc....

5. trucks

trucks Member

Record outs usually are pretty bad and not something you want to record! I have the Palmer PDI-09 which is very nice and can be used on any amp. A couple of good low wattage amps are the Aiken Tomcat and the Carr Mercury. Lots of discussion on those in the amp forum. :AOK

6. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Univalve + pedals into Guitar Rigs cabinet sims. Wicked tones for days :)

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

Might want to try to find a used Lexicon 284. Exactly what you're looking for.

Loudboy

8. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Lexicon. Its a killer studio amp, and live too. Its stereo to boot.
    Has recording out and cab sims built in.

9. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Member

Yes yes yes OMG YES! I have recently discovered the audiogasm that is running pedals into Guitar Rig. Just a Pickup Booster and my Hot Rod Distortion through my TubePre into an array of virtual cabs and mics, and I'm in heaven.

I bought a Vox VR-15 thinking it would make a suitable low watt recording amp. It sounds better mic'd with my MXL 990 than direct out. YMMV of course.

10. scottlr

scottlr Member

I get wonderful recording tone from a Vox ToneLab. An option worth looking into imho.

11. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

thanks for all the suggestions, I'd look into it.

12. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Take a look at Fender's new Princeton Recording Amp. It's a 20 watt amp with a built in attenuator and a line output with speaker emulation. I tried it at Summer NAMM a few weeks ago and it was pretty cool. Fender is supposed to start shipping it at the end of September.

FVB

13. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Do you mean a direct out? If so, then a used Super Champ is what you want. It has a direct out that still allows the speaker to be engaged. Highly recommened.

14. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

+1 on the Univalve

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There's a couple of different technologies out there:
    1. Preamp out-the most primitive, basically takes the signal before the phase inverter and sends it out unchanged-sounds dry and uninteresting in general. Can be tarted up with a cabinet simulator, which helps. This is what the Superchamp has.
    2. Preamp out, cabinet compensated-basically a built in cab simulator. This is what the Tech21 stuff has, and it sounds darn good-I'm not an expert but I've compared tracks with a TM10 mic'd vs the direct out and they sound very similar. You can get the same effect with some of the more analog sounding amp sims out there-my favorite being the original Sansamp (I often record guitars with two tracks, one mic'd and one direct thru the Sansamp and mix later).
    3. Tapping off the speaker output-I believe this is what the Univalve does, but can be done with any attenuator with a recording output, the speaker sims like the Palmer or Redbox or the Lexicon uses this. It'll the be the most amplike result you can have, but does require at least one more piece of gear (unless you can find a Lexicon or the old Groove Tubes GTP-SE).

16. Phatman

Phatman Member

As far a low wattage amps go if you are interested in the Marshallesk tone I would look at the Mojave Coyote. I love running a strat through
    that amp. Incredible OD tone and good bounce / chunk.. I would look
    at an old Constellation (OEM'ed from Jensen) AlNiCo 15 Watt speaker
    which will give you a woodier old school Marshall tone... if that is what you are after.

I haven't had much luck trying to take a direct amp output. I use a
    Royer R-121 Ribbon mike and a nice warm Preamp before the mixer and
    this never has dissapointed me no matter if I mike my 100 W Roccaforte
    or my 12 Watt FE3 Blues Boy amp. That Ribbon mike can take sound
    pressures other mikes would die with. Also, the ribbon mikes don't have
    a sweet spot as far a input levels go.. like most non-ribbon mikes...

PhaTz..

17. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

My early 80s Fender Champ II (from the Paul Rivera era @ Fender) has a recording out, 10" speaker and is 18 watts.